How good is CN allowing people to walk on their abandoned and inactive tracks.

ZeMartelo

I was just wondering if someone had any experience dealing with CN about getting permission to let people walk on old abandoned and inactive but still leased tracks.

Around my area there is a stretch of 18 kms of railway that leads to a closed mine that shutdown in late 80's. The tracks are still on the ground but have not been used since 1995.

The

I have heard that CN is just waiting for the lease with the mine to end to tear it up.

I thought that the line would make an nice hike as it crosses the woods with some nice scenery.

SO I was wondering if someone knows who I could contact to get the permission or if I should just forget about it?

Thanks

I was just wondering if someone had any experience dealing with CN about getting permission to let people walk on old abandoned and inactive but still leased tracks.

Around my area there is a stretch of 18 kms of railway that leads to a closed mine that shutdown in late 80's. The tracks are still on the ground but have not been used since 1995.

The

I have heard that CN is just waiting for the lease with the mine to end to tear it up.

I thought that the line would make an nice hike as it crosses the woods with some nice scenery.

SO I was wondering if someone knows who I could contact to get the permission or if I should just forget about it?

Thanks

I would think the best to answer the question might well be CN itself, or are you merely searching for an answer that you wanna hear?

Properly, inactive and abandoned are not the same, nor are the terms interchangeable.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

If you get an answer from CN saying anything other than "No you are not allowed anywhere near them." Please warn me before posting as I think may go into shock. :surprise:

Never mind whether there is a train running or not. Someone walking down the tracks somehow injures themselves, CN is going to be looking at a lawsuit. I willing to bet a small sum of money that the answer will be "No we don't lease them go ask someone else." or "Stay off our property."

Just saying but good luck with that.

Perhaps talk to some groups that have experience with Rails to Trails projects, some would have talked with the right people at CN and other railroads. I believe there are a few where the railway retains title to the land against future use, but allow that to go on a limited development basis. A mine of course might or might not reopen depending on what type of mine and world prices. Gold mines are famous for that for example. Not worth it at $32 per ounce, but made a lot of sense at todays rates. Plus areas mined out of one or two minerals, sometimes come into demand as other minerals associated with that increase in value and demand.

All depends what and where and how much (return on investment).

Doug 7rxc

A couple miles from my house there two unfortunate deaths within a half mile of track over the past two years. NOTHING to do with geocaching. Since then CN has stepped up enforcment around the tracks.

There is no way you will get permission.