Sorting of ebook pocket queries

ddhill

Just got back from a trip that I had generated pocket queries for (3 cities in 2 weeks icon_smile.gif While there I tried to use the ebook on my palm and had two issues:

1) The caches are not in sorted order (at least not one that is intuitive). I really expected the caches to be listed in sorted order by waypoint, but I am guessing the order is related to distance from the center point. This makes it freaking hard to find a cache entry in the table of contents if there are many caches (and as I did not know in advance where I would be staying, I had alot of them). For some reason palm mobipocket unregistered has problems finding anything reliably when I search on waypoint. I plan on registering so maybe that will help some.

2) Once I have found the cache description, I am faced with the same problem if (heaven forbid) I need the hint. Can't there be a link from the cache page to the hint page ? Or - Personally I prefer and can deal with the encrypted hint - as I have (and like) the hint decoder program for the palm.

Of course maybe I should not be complaining, at least I had the information, even if it was a pain to use :-p

Ok - found part of the answer with mobipocket - if you don't register - "find" does not do a "full text search" which is why I did not find the cache I was looking for consistantly. The unregistered version seems to loop on a small subset of pages icon_redface.gif

Still would like to see the link from the main page to the hint though...

Try downloading and using GPX Spinner and Plucker. You can run the GPX file sent from your pocket query through GPX Spinner and then load the HTML files created by it into the Palm using Plucker. The software lets you sort the cache list in many different ways, setup multiple reference locations, one-tap hint decoding and nearest caches list to the one you are looking at. It does more than that, but overall it is much better than MobiPocket and somewhat faster too. Also there is Watcher which lets you view/sort/ignore/etc cache pages from the GPX file on your PC.

If you have problems setting it up I can post or email the steps that are needed to set them up that I made when helping a couple of other geocachers.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

quote:
Originally posted by The 3 Hills:

Ok - found part of the answer with mobipocket - if you don't register - "find" does not do a "full text search" which is why I did not find the cache I was looking for consistantly. The unregistered version seems to loop on a small subset of pages icon_redface.gif

Still would like to see the link from the main page to the hint though...

I have not seen this problem with Mobipocket since I started making each search from the top of the file. I go to page 1, then do a "find". I will consistently pick the waypoint out of the table of contents, which is the first few pages. Then tap on the link in the table of contents to go to the cache page. For the next "find" I go back to page 1 and do the same thing. No loops or other problems this way, and it it much faster. I have an old M105, and it can take a while to search through an entire file....

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

Ok, I'm convinced - ebook sucks and Spinner/Plucker rules. Apart from a number of setup issues with plucker(that I managed to work through) I must agree that the results in plucker are much easier to work with.

Thanks for the pointer smithdw, I had heard of these before (and use Watcher alot already) but had mostly forgotten about them (wasn't there a link at one time from geocaching.com ?)

ddhill

quote:
Originally posted by The 3 Hills:

Ok, I'm convinced - ebook sucks and Spinner/Plucker rules. Apart from a number of setup issues with plucker(that I managed to work through) I must agree that the results in plucker are much easier to work with.

Thanks for the pointer smithdw, I had heard of these before (and use Watcher alot already) but had mostly forgotten about them (wasn't there a link at one time from geocaching.com ?)

ddhill

You're welcome. I agree that Spinner/Plucker is the way to go. I don't remember there being a link on the GC.com site.

-Marcus Dolengo

quote:
Originally posted by smithdw:

I don't remember there being a link on the GC.com site.

Read about waypoint downloads.

This is the link on every cache page, just under the Download Waypoint File (*.loc) link. It has the info on some of the available software to use with loc and gpx files.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

quote:
Originally posted by smithdw:

I don't remember there being a link on the GC.com site.

http://www.geocaching.com/waypoints/default.aspx?.

This is the link on every cache page, just under the _Download Waypoint File (*.loc)_ link. It has the info on some of the available software to use with loc and gpx files.

http://208.55.63.109/images/stunod_sig.gif

_"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson_

Shows how often I've used the manual download waypoints lately.

I'm glad there is a list of software for working with the GPX/LOC files. Pocket Queries, GPX Spinner, Plucker and Watcher make my geocaching life a whole lot better. I hope to never go back to printing out cache pages again. Worth every penny of the $30/year membership.

-Marcus Dolengo