Replacing "O" rings on nanos & bisons

Does anyone know where to buy replacement gaskets for the nanos & bisons? I've found a site that might have them for bisons but absolutely nothing for nanos. They break so easily & it's ridiculous to have to keep replacing with a new nano.

Edited by QK-N-EZ

Google "o rings" rather than "gaskets."

That's what I did & there's nothing specific for nanos & not knowing the size or width, other than an appproximate measurement, I would undoubtedly get the wrong thing. I guess I'll just have to take a nano in somewhere & see if they can fit it.

Thanks for your reply!

If you can measure the major and minor diameters (major is the whole ring, minor

is the size of the material....the thickness) I may be able to help, I have a large

bag of a few smaller sizes left over from a science experiment, and the material is

rated for -60C to 200C, that should work ok....

If you have a Harbor Freight near you they have "variety" packs of o-rings which appear to cover nano's on up in size.

O-rings

The pack I bought has been working well for my bison tubes and beach safe containers. I don't have a nano handy to see if they will fit but I am pretty definate the smallest size should cover it.

I found several sizes of O rings at our local Home Depot, in the plumbing department. Take one of the correct size from your bison tube to hold up against the package so you can buy the correct replacement size.

Thanks! I never thought of home Depot & it's close by. I'll try that.

If you can measure the major and minor diameters (major is the whole ring, minor

is the size of the material....the thickness) I may be able to help, I have a large

bag of a few smaller sizes left over from a science experiment, and the material is

rated for -60C to 200C, that should work ok....

I had wondered about getting a variety pack, like at Walmart, but wasn't sure if every size was there but the one I needed! I've made a few mistakes that way in the past.

Thanks for your answer!

Edited by QK-N-EZ

If you have a Harbor Freight near you they have "variety" packs of o-rings which appear to cover nano's on up in size.

O-rings

The pack I bought has been working well for my bison tubes and beach safe containers. I don't have a nano handy to see if they will fit but I am pretty definate the smallest size should cover it.

Yes, I do have a Harbor Freight in the area. Good idea! Thanks for your reply!

Also, if you find the urethane ones which are like a yellowish white, get those. They will last a lot longer than the black rubber ones.

I will look for the urethane kind! The usual ones just don't even last 3 months. Thanks for suggesting that!

That's what I did & there's nothing specific for nanos & not knowing the size or width, other than an appproximate measurement, I would undoubtedly get the wrong thing.

Sorry. Yes. My fault. You're right. there is nothing specific. I would have had the vernier out and measured the size I needed. Don't you just hate engineers?

That's what I did & there's nothing specific for nanos & not knowing the size or width, other than an appproximate measurement, I would undoubtedly get the wrong thing.

Sorry. Yes. My fault. You're right. there is nothing specific. I would have had the vernier out and measured the size I needed. Don't you just hate engineers?

Yes, I do hate engineers! Always coming up with parts that you have to special order or a certain brand that forces you to pay their inflated prices! What is a vernier? Sorry, but I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to working parts, or any parts for that matter!

The O-ring seems to measure about 3/8 " inside diameter & I can't see any difference really in the outside diameter. It is very thin. I've looked at some packaged parts on line & they have 7/16, but would that extra 1/16th make a difference? Of course it's the cheap rubber ones too, that don't wear well.

You might check out O-Ring Warehouse http://www.oringwarehouse.com/

Large variety of sizes, types. The Nitrile material are only 1-2 cents each in the sizes for bisons and matchholders. I've used part #0568-021 for matchholders, and part #0568-012 for bisons (though that is a smidge on the small side for bisons). Don't know for sure how long they last yet, time will tell. For a penny or two each (plus shipping), I figured it was hard to go wrong.

Yes, I do hate engineers! Always coming up with parts that you have to special order or a certain brand that forces you to pay their inflated prices! What is a vernier? Sorry, but I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to working parts, or any parts for that matter!

No. I'm an actual engineer, not a TV and refrigerator repair "technician."

What is a vernier?

A very unspecific, inexpensive, generic, non-branded name for a type of uncomplicated small distance measuring scale.

I hate when the cable guy calls himself an "engineer."

I found these on Amazon a while back. Have only used a few and have no complaints so far but have not used them for very long. Have not seen the silicone o-rings mentioned in an earlier post. Could be interesting to pursue.

Specs for bison tube o-rings:

inside diameter: 3/8 inch

outside diameter: 1/2 inch

width: 1/16 inch

70A durometer

12 EPDM

I think I bought 100 for around $6.

No. I'm an actual engineer, not a TV and refrigerator repair "technician."

What is a vernier?

A very unspecific, inexpensive, generic, non-branded name for a type of uncomplicated small distance measuring scale.

I hate when the cable guy calls himself an "engineer."

Oh, you make me laugh! Thank you!

Urethane is better than the stock rubber, but if you really want long life I recommend silicone.

Here is a good chart that shows advantages/disadvantages of various o-ring materials.

Thank you! I had no idea there were different qualities. I'll most likely use whatever I can find, since it's a difficult task at best.

Also, if you find the urethane ones which are like a yellowish white, get those. They will last a lot longer than the black rubber ones.

I like your geocaching items on your website!

Thank you! If you ever need anything just give a holler. :) Have fun caching!

If any of you are into body jewelry... Every time you place an order with BodyArtForms.com, you can get 4 free black o-rings in the size of your choice. Lately I've been requesting sizes like 3/8", 9/16", 1", etc. that I believe would fit various sizes of tubes. Heck, I'm order from BAF all the time anyway, so I might as well take advantage of their offer!