Blackberry maps

Shinook & White Juan

We have been using our blackberry for about a year now for geocaching and we use it in conjunction with the blackberry maps app. Problem we encountered yesterday was the blackberry map details weren't coming up. Caches were showing up as we got closer to them but the actual road maps themselves are not being displayed anymore. I was wondering if anybody else was having similiar issues. This was happening where cellphone service was available and have cached there with the unit in the past with no issues. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shinook & White Juan

google made a policy change a few months ago that require third party agencies, such as Geocaching to pay a pretty substantial fee for using their maps. Therefore, to save costs, Geocaching removed links to Google maps in the geocaching website. Now, the default is mapquest which doesn't have maps that are as complete.

I know on my website I had a search function that would use google maps to conduct a search within a particular radius, and that was gonna cost me $10,000 per year.

Edited by Arctikkat

The OP is talking about using a 3rd party app on their Blackberry, not their PC. As such, I'm not sure their reported issue would have anything to do with the Google policy change, though I'm open to be corrected.

I haven't used any of the 3rd party apps much for caching on my BB. I tried Cachesense for the trial period once it became part of the API, and it seemed pretty capable and gave me no issues. Decently accurate on my 9900 I have to admit.

Like any basic troubleshooting on a BB, I'd start with a battery pull and also perhaps check for an update to the caching app or Blackberry Maps and go from there.

The policy change at Google would affect third party apps just as it would any web based browser. Google covered all the angles when they set this new fee for use system up, if it was mapping software that previously used the google Maps database, it'll likely have issues now. I know that Blackberry Maps and Google Maps are different software, but I'm not sure if Blackberry Maps relies on Google Map data or not.

Edited by Arctikkat