Different time/day zone when logging

Super Naitos

I just had a quick search but could not finsd anything on the forums, hoping someone can point me in the correct direction.

I live in Japan, home coordinates are for Japan. Why when I log caches they come up as the day before? ( ie this morning it was the 13th here, but all my logs showed the 12th (USA time/date) very frustrating, and time consuming to go back manually and change all logs. Surely there must be a way to recognize other time/date zones? Has happened before, but with today's personal best (35 caches woopee!!!) it was particularly annoying.

Thanks for any help. (hoping there is just a setting somewhere I need to change)

Hi,

At Geocaching.com, select the Your Profile drop-down box. One of the links is Account Details. When you access the Account Details screen, you should see a box in the lower left that displays Your Preferences. Click the Edit button to change your time zone.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much Scrapcat. Will do that now.

I don't believe changing the time zone in your account settings fixes this problem. I understand that the log edit screen will always open on Seattle time. But once you've changed it for your first log of the day it will remember the date.

I don't believe changing the time zone in your account settings fixes this problem. I understand that the log edit screen will always open on Seattle time. But once you've changed it for your first log of the day it will remember the date.

Really, S***! Just checked as I dashed out earlier for a FTF, yes you are right.Todays date the 15th here was shown as 14th! Very annoying as I usually log as I go on my iphone, and you can't set date on the app- though I guess I could go onto the website and log the first one- pain when you are out caching and want to keep on caching.

Antone else- maybe from Groundspeak can think about solving this issue please- this effects thousands of cachers who are not in the USA!!!

Really, S***! Just checked as I dashed out earlier for a FTF, yes you are right.Todays date the 15th here was shown as 14th! Very annoying as I usually log as I go on my iphone, and you can't set date on the app- though I guess I could go onto the website and log the first one- pain when you are out caching and want to keep on caching.

Antone else- maybe from Groundspeak can think about solving this issue please- this effects thousands of cachers who are not in the USA!!!

Yes I'm in Australia, and am wishing for a solution also, I've worked out if I submit as Field note it has the correct date, but if I submit as log it will be yesterdays date...very annoying as I just logged 100 caches in a day!!!

I would like to point out this problem to Groundspeak personnel ( I wonder if they read these forums?) and would love a reply to see if they are aware of the problem, and if they are planning to fix it- there are 10,000's (?) of cachers in Europe/Australasia and Asia who are not on same time zone as the US.

I hope this could be passed along to the people who can do something about it.

Thanks

Super Naitos

I would like to point out this problem to Groundspeak personnel ( I wonder if they read these forums?) and would love a reply to see if they are aware of the problem, and if they are planning to fix it- there are 10,000's (?) of cachers in Europe/Australasia and Asia who are not on same time zone as the US.

Oh, they are aware of it. They've been aware of it since at least 2007, when people first started complaining. As far as I can tell, they Just Don't Care.

I tend to log caches using Field Notes, so I have written myself little Python scripts to adjust the times on the notes to correct for this effect.

Time zone is intimately connected to location. The time zone of a latitude-longitude location is (fairly easily) calculable. I am quite frustrated that a company whose tagline is "the language of location" refuses to deal with it properly.