New York state road trip

ZeLonewolf

Hey folks,

My girlfriend and I are planning a Geocaching/sightseeing road trip (in that order) in July as part of a long detour of a 1-way trip eastern Pennsylvania to Rhode Island. Other than "GC39: The Spot", we don't have any specific caches planned out along our route. Below I have listed our stops along the way. These are all places I've never been - I would love to hear your recommendation for must-do caches along the route:

Allentown, PA

Utica, NY

Ithaca, NY

Buffalo, NY

Niagra Falls, NY

Toronto, Canada

Montreal, Canada

Lake George, NY

Thanks!

By Lake George, Tongue Wagger (GCM5R6) is absolutely awesome, but that is an all day affair. You can get a taste of it by doing Mink (GC20R66). Highly recommended

That second GC code brings up a cache titled "Quail", did the name change?

Mink: GC1JVF1

I second that area. Tongue Wagger is a cache in a league of its own. Like Brian said, it'll take most of a day. Two in my case. But there are enough caches on that range to keep you plenty busy and give you an awesome taste of the Adirondacks.

By Lake George, Tongue Wagger (GCM5R6) is absolutely awesome, but that is an all day affair. You can get a taste of it by doing Mink (GC20R66). Highly recommended

My bad, Mink and Quail are close to each other. I transpose the names and GC #s

I really enjoyed the Eternal Flame Falls Earthcache. Its in a small park near Buffalo. GC10VMY. Its a natural gas flame behind a waterfall.

That would belong to me. I wouldn't really call it a small park though. :D

Disclaimer: The waterfall itself is a trickle, or dries up completely most July's. The Earthcache is about 75 miles north of last year's Geowoodstock, and it got hit pretty hard by visitors from all over the Country early last July. No one really said this, but I think some of them were slightly disappointed. I didn't get as many "Wow, totally awesome" type logs as I usually get 3/4 of the year.

EDIT: The water flow is already way down, as per a pic posted with the last log May 11th. An unusually dry spring around here. It currently sits at 101 Favorite Points. Oh, and a link for those who don't want to go to the website and punch in the Waypoint name: Eternal Flame Falls Earthcache

It would be nice if everyone could see it like this January, 2012 view:

4d4f55bc-ef24-4fdc-988c-b48236b2611d.jpg

Edited by Mr.Yuck

My bad, Mink and Quail are close to each other. I transpose the names and GC #s

Yes - Tongue Mountain Range is a must do in Lake George. Super highly recommended - great views. If you're looking for a shorter hike, the Cat Mountain Trails are quite nice too, but note that Tongue is definitely better. Have a great time in the Lake George area - beautiful place.

Also: while I go to Lake George annually in July I have done the Cat Mtn. and Tongue Mtn. hikes which have been phenomenal. Are there any other awesome Adirondack cache-hikes near Lake George? Help appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by ArmyFanGeo

Eternal Flame is great.

In Niagara Falls, NY anything along the lower Niagara Gorge is awesome.

In Niagara Falls, Ont, there are a bunch of caches in Niagara Glen park. Again, these are along the lower Niagara River Gorge.

Toronto, Ont has a cool virtual at the Old City Hall.

Also: while I go to Lake George annually in July I have done the Cat Mtn. and Tongue Mtn. hikes which have been phenomenal. Are there any other awesome Adirondack cache-hikes near Lake George? Help appreciated. Thanks.

If you liked Cat (and Thomas) Mtns and the Tongue Mountain range, you'll love Black Mountain on the east side of Lake George. Open the cache map and you'll see a few options for hikes. We did a through hike last year from Black Mountain down to Shelving Rock Rd. Just connect the dots.