Help with making a geo cache!

Rockin.robin100

Hello! I love finding geo cache and now want to make my own, but I'm just a little confused. First off, when you want to make one, why does it ask for your adress? I want to put on that's about a half hour away from my house. Also, on the "location" part of the application there are options asking if you want to add minutes and seconds. What does that mean, and how do you find out how many minutes and seconds you type in? Can I just put in the coordinates and not minutes and seconds, or will the location not be accurate? I'm using my iPhones compass and it just shows the coordinates. This is probably a really stupid question, but I am just a little confused.

Hello! I love finding geo cache and now want to make my own, but I'm just a little confused. First off, when you want to make one, why does it ask for your adress? I want to put on that's about a half hour away from my house. Also, on the "location" part of the application there are options asking if you want to add minutes and seconds. What does that mean, and how do you find out how many minutes and seconds you type in? Can I just put in the coordinates and not minutes and seconds, or will the location not be accurate? I'm using my iPhones compass and it just shows the coordinates. This is probably a really stupid question, but I am just a little confused.

You really should try FINDING caches before you attempt to place one. Get a dozen or two under your belt, and things will be clearer.

You really should try FINDING caches before you attempt to place one. Get a dozen or two under your belt, and things will be clearer.

+1 but not bad ones that will influence you badly

Hi Rockin.robin100, welcome to the sport!

To answer your questions:

The address will be useful for the reviewer to ensure your not placing a cache a long ways from home, or somewhere where you might not be able to take care of it often. I'm guessing the site is asking your that because you have not set your home location yet.

GPS coordinates come in multiple different formats, the most popular of which is Degrees and Minutes(MinDec). In the coordinates N 47°18.111 W 122°28.333, 47 and 122 are the Degrees, and 18.111 and 28.333 are both Minutes. Another format, in which seconds are used, is like this: DDD MM SS.SSS (D is degees, M minutes, and S seconds). An example of those coordinates could be N 49° 10' 11.111" W 124° 02' 54.222".

Somewhere in the settings on your IPhone, you can probably change it so it displays Degrees and Minutes.

Hope these help! If you have any other questions, continue to post them and I, or another forum member, would be quite happy to answer them. Happy Caching!