Combining two fun things together...What fun!

Went rapelling this afternoon with a few guys from work. The place where we rapelled also had quite a few caches nearby. What to do? Why both of course. We rapelled there two years ago but I was not into caching at that time. I had been wanting to get some of the caches down by the Washington-Oregon border for awhile now. When this rapelling day came up it was a no brainer. We did the cache named Entrance to the tunnel (GC2813Z) which was only a little ways from the tunnel. So what kind of activities have you guys combined together?

Should have used spell check.

Edited by badger10

Went repelling this afternoon with a few guys from work. The place where we repelled also had quite a few caches nearby. What to do? Why both of course. We repelled there two years ago but I was not into caching at that time. I had been wanting to get some of the caches down by the Washington-Oregon border for awhile now. When this repelling day came up it was a no brainer. We did the cache named Entrance to the tunnel (GC2813Z) which was only a little ways from the tunnel. So what kind of activities have you guys combined together?

Well this week I enjoyed finding a few caches and benchmarks while spending time with the wife at Disney World. I have also picked up a few caches on public games land while out hunting, that requires super stealth, lol.

Went repelling this afternoon with a few guys from work. The place where we repelled also had quite a few caches nearby. What to do? Why both of course. We repelled there two years ago but I was not into caching at that time. I had been wanting to get some of the caches down by the Washington-Oregon border for awhile now. When this repelling day came up it was a no brainer. We did the cache named Entrance to the tunnel (GC2813Z) which was only a little ways from the tunnel. So what kind of activities have you guys combined together?

It sounds like you have quite an attraction to repelling. :unsure:

I love foraging (I sure hope I spelled that correctly! :P)... mostly for mushrooms. I have tried combining caching with mushroom hunting, but I have found that I can't really do either one well when trying to do them both at the same time. Every once in a while though, I will stumble across some edible shrooms while caching. Have not stumbled onto a cache while shrooming yet, though.

Every once in a while though, I will stumble across some edible shrooms while caching. Have not stumbled onto a cache while shrooming yet, though.

Shrooming for sure! I actually stumbled across a letterbox while mushrooming a few years back. The very next day and over 40 miles away, I stumbled across an unpublished Geocache. That's literally how I discovered Geocaching and I make it a point to combine caching and mushrooming every spring now. Earlier this spring a cache I'd previously found that's near one of my mushroom spots was reported missing. I was shrooming there the next day so I decided to look for it. Not only did I locate the missing cache, but I found three morels within 4 feet of the cache, so that was a pretty cool bonus.

Most often, bicycling is the activity that I combine with caching, although I've been able to combine it with boating too, and yes, even rappelling. Here's my rappelling cache GC1D7G0

I've always enjoyed hiking. I would drive my car to parks to hike. Then I got my motorcycle so I would take that to the parks to hike. Then I discovered geocaching. Now I ride my motorcycle to parks to go on a hike and find some geocaches along the way. It seems that I have more hobbies than I have free time for, so it's great to be able to combine 3 of them.

On combining hobbies: I make pens. Sometimes in plastic cast, sometimes in wood. I've modified my polyester casting process to allow me to make trackables / signature items, eg: http://coord.info/TB50N32, http://coord.info/TB50N35.

I bought a batch of official numbers and the only stipulation for the coins was that they had to have www.geocaching.com on them.

NB - I had to Google "repelling." I came away thinking, it must be an activity performed in nightclubs where you DON'T pull chicks. Then I remembered something from my old abseiling days about the names for the various ropes ... and looked up "rappelling." That made more sense!!

I couldn't resists adding to this thread:

Kayaking and Caching. Whitewater kayaking typically takes you to some nice locations where cache can be found nearby but finding caches while running a river is a lot less common. However, there are lots of opportunities to find caches while flatwater kayaking while exploring the coastline or island in a lake, or down a flat river.

I also like traveling and geocaching. I don't particularly care for the flying on commercial airlines part but once I get to where I'm going, spending a day exploring a city I've been to before and finding some caches along the way is a lot of fun. I've actually got three upcoming trips where I hope to do some caching while traveling. I'm leaving this evening for Boulder, Colorado but I suspect I'll only have time to find one or two caches. In about a month I'll be teaching a workshop in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and probably won't get the one cache in that city but I've got a 22 hour layover in Zurich along the way. In July, I'm taking a week long vacation in California and will almost certain do some caching there. There's also still a slim chance I may go to Malaysia in the fall.

There are over 100 paddle caches within 25 miles of here, including dozens on the three major lakes in the Triangle. For some you don't even need to get out of the boats. There is even an NC Kayak Cachers FB group.

There are six island paddle caches in the Columbia River within a couple of miles of my home. We haven't gone out there yet but the Tri-Cities geocoin challenge next month will have a kayak trip planned. May have to tag along a get those!

Not to sound superior to all those athletic types above, but we proudly combine eating out with geocaching, and sometimes even achieve a Starbucks plus a cache! <_<

About 2/3 of my 1800 finds have been by bicycle ( it would take a while to figure out how many bicycles in addition to my three since I've used rentals in 13 countries and at least a dozen states)

In the last year and a half I've also grabbed at least 50 caches by kayak. It is rare that I just go geocaching.

NB - I had to Google "repelling."

Aw, man! You fixed it and now my really funny post makes no sense!

Sorry about that. I read your post and tried to figure out who has not heard of rEpelling and then I saw what I did. I had to fix it. I did the same kind of thing on FB but cannot fix it.

NB - I had to Google "repelling."

Aw, man! You fixed it and now my really funny post makes no sense!

Sorry about that. I read your post and tried to figure out who has not heard of rEpelling and then I saw what I did. I had to fix it. I did the same kind of thing on FB but cannot fix it.

Joey Barton is into rEpelling, but not sure if he is a Geocacher or not.

I combine geocaching with wearing out my four year old. :P It works surprisingly well!

Hehehe! I'm with you. But I think my six y/o is on to my plan!!

Little Loki perks up whenever he thinks we're going geocaching, and suggests it quite often. I think I've got him hooked! Now, whether the 13 year old will be as enthusiastic is kind of up in the air... at least I know he'll have hiking boots, since his dad promised to get him some. :)

- Lady Loki

Edited by kitrona

Every once in a while though, I will stumble across some edible shrooms while caching. Have not stumbled onto a cache while shrooming yet, though.

Shrooming for sure! I actually stumbled across a letterbox while mushrooming a few years back. The very next day and over 40 miles away, I stumbled across an unpublished Geocache. That's literally how I discovered Geocaching and I make it a point to combine caching and mushrooming every spring now. Earlier this spring a cache I'd previously found that's near one of my mushroom spots was reported missing. I was shrooming there the next day so I decided to look for it. Not only did I locate the missing cache, but I found three morels within 4 feet of the cache, so that was a pretty cool bonus.

Most often, bicycling is the activity that I combine with caching, although I've been able to combine it with boating too, and yes, even rappelling. Here's my rappelling cache GC1D7G0

A local cacher makes a haul while geocaching: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=3b8efee8-2182-4428-af75-948b772da7a7

Jealous of your morel find! We are shrooming and caching some of the time, too.