Moving a cache

2dogs1wife

I decided to move a cache as it had not been found for over a year. It looks as though I need to archive it or something, so I can list the new spot we put it in. Can anyone help me with this. I placed it and submitted it then discovered I needed to do more before it could get published. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PS: the old cache was called "Hair Pin Turn"

You can move your cache up to 528ft and update the co-ordinates yourself by using the "Update Coordinates" log option. If you want to move it more than 528ft you'll need to contact your local reviewer and ask him to change the co-ords for you.

If by moving it you're going to change the caching experience considerably (e.g a very different area, or different terrain, maybe different views) many cachers feel that it's better to archive the old cache and create a new listing. This also provides your local cachers with a new smiley opportunity. :)

MrsB

I decided to move a cache as it had not been found for over a year. It looks as though I need to archive it or something, so I can list the new spot we put it in. Can anyone help me with this. I placed it and submitted it then discovered I needed to do more before it could get published. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PS: the old cache was called "Hair Pin Turn"

Hi 2D1W Just some general knowledge.

Your "Hair Pin Turn" hide wasn't hard to find in your profile, but it's GC# (GC1RE9C) is a unique identifier that most often is easier to track down than a cache name. Even easier would have been to link directly to it: GC1RE9C "Hair Pin Turn"

You didn't say about how far away your new spot is from the old one. If it is less than 528 feet your disabled listing will keep another cacher from using the new spot before you get all the details worked out. The original cache will have to be archived eventually before you could place another cache within 528 feet of it. You would mention to the Reviewer to archive the old cache when the new cache passes review. This is more important in cache dense areas. Since this has not been found very often, it seems there might not be much pressure to protect good hiding spots here. There is probably another spot just as good right around the bend.

If the new location is more than 528 feet away from the old location the old cache could stay. You would just submit the new listing and wait for it to pass review.

You do have the option to adjust the coordinates of the current cache a short distance (528 feet). Your reviewer could move it even farther for you. But in this case I don't think that is what you are looking for. Most cachers won't re-log a relocated cache if it has the same GC#. A new listing would have a new GC#, and any nearby previous finders can come back to log the new one.