multi cache

Dunno if I have the correct topic title. I want to setup a cache, however to get to it I want the Geocachers to follow a specific path to get to the cache area. At the start of the path is a small car park. Do I give co-ordinates of a micro cache at the car park which would contain the co ordinates of the main cache - and hope that they follow the path to the correct area (I hope I am making sense )

islayhawk

That sounds about right to me. It'll work better if you put the first stage at the beginning of the trail instead of the parking lot.

The car park is the start of the trail. It is at the side of a wood. The path leads from the park down through the woods to the area I want.

islayhawk

Dunno if I have the correct topic title. I want to setup a cache, however to get to it I want the Geocachers to follow a specific path to get to the cache area. At the start of the path is a small car park. Do I give co-ordinates of a micro cache at the car park which would contain the co ordinates of the main cache - and hope that they follow the path to the correct area (I hope I am making sense )

islayhawk

You can do much better than hope. First let me say, please use something a little bigger than a micro if the area can support it. I hate following a micro trail to an Ammo Can (this is just my personal opinion and NOT a guideline - at least warn me if micros are involved even though it is listed larger) The first stage could have coordinates to a second stage. The second stage could have coordinates for a third stage. Eventually when the cacher has followed your very controlled guided tour, only then give them the coordinates to the final. Use exactly as many or as few stages as you need to accomplish that.

Remember every physical stage of your Muli must maintain separation from any other physical cache placement in the area. But, within your own Multi there are no separation restrictions. So in the absence of to many other physical placements, you can actually have them follow exactly the route you determine is best. I have used it quite effectively to show cachers the best paths and the best views possible.

islayhawk

You can do much better than hope. First let me say, please use something a little bigger than a micro if the area can support it. I hate following a micro trail to an Ammo Can (this is just my personal opinion and NOT a guideline - at least warn me if micros are involved even though it is listed larger) The first stage could have coordinates to a second stage. The second stage could have coordinates for a third stage. Eventually when the cacher has followed your very controlled guided tour, only then give them the coordinates to the final. Use exactly as many or as few stages as you need to accomplish that.

Remember every physical stage of your Muli must maintain separation from any other physical cache placement in the area. But, within your own Multi there are no separation restrictions. So in the absence of to many other physical placements, you can actually have them follow exactly the route you determine is best. I have used it quite effectively to show cachers the best paths and the best views possible.

I live in a location which makes it very unlikely that I will ever come across a multi cache setup by any other cacher, so I am very new to this.

The car park is at the edge of a wooded area at the side of a single track road. From the cark there is a track down through the woods to a beautiful deserted beach which will be the main cache area. I do not want cachers parking in laybys close to the area and walking over fields to get to the cache. This is why I specically want them to park in this car park. As the initial cache will only contain the co ordinates of the main cache I assumed that a micro cache would suffice.

islayhawk

Any notices/signs in the car park?

Make it a Question to Answer stage by getting numbers off the sign.

(Saves placing Nano's/Micro's!)

There are no signs etc at the car park. The car park is more a large laybye which is used by visitors to the beach down through the woods

islayhawk

I live in a location which makes it very unlikely that I will ever come across a multi cache setup by any other cacher, so I am very new to this.

The car park is at the edge of a wooded area at the side of a single track road. From the cark there is a track down through the woods to a beautiful deserted beach which will be the main cache area. I do not want cachers parking in laybys close to the area and walking over fields to get to the cache. This is why I specically want them to park in this car park. As the initial cache will only contain the co ordinates of the main cache I assumed that a micro cache would suffice.

islayhawk

You can add an "additional waypoint" for the parking area, if you want seekers to park in a specific location.

4.11. Additional Waypoints

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=72

You can see how the parking waypoints will be displayed on the cache page here on our multicache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2f96f7f1-2041-4695-a757-7a525e710fa9

The stages of the multicache will also be additional waypoints, but will be "hidden". See the Guidelines:

2.2. Additional Listing Guidelines that Apply to Specific Geocache Types

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=308

Micro containers for the individual waypoints are fine. Magnetic or "questions to answer" waypoints are also fine. However you want to direct people to specific locations is up to you.

Oh, and just a note: you need to post an "owner maintenance" log for GCY9YE to clear that "needs maintenance" attribute.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

You can add an "additional waypoint" for the parking area, if you want seekers to park in a specific location.

B.

That is a good suggestion, BUT cachers often don't read the cache description or load the additional waypoints when caching. I can't count the number of times that I have given coordinates for parking or the trail head and they have been ignored. I would suggest doing the multicache approach instead if you want to be certain that they start at and follow your intended route.

If there is nothing steel to attach a magnet with coordinates in the area, you can also make a tag (metal, plastic, wood, etc.) with a hole in it and hang it from a low hanging tree branch with a loose loop of string or fishing line.

medoug.

1. Please don't let certain forum member's personal dislike of certain containers keep you from doing what you like or even can do. Sticking an ammo can at the edge of a parking lot is not a good idea even if most cachers like finding then. If a micro is the best and safest way to start the multi, then that is what you should use.

2. If you want them to park in the lot, make that the main waypoint of the listing and make sure that all other waypoints are hidden.

3. Regardless of how you set up the first waypoint, do not simply put the final point in it. Cachers will look at the big picture and decide that they can drive closer, which will have them parked where you specifically did not want them parked. Instead, put one or two waypoints on the trail through the woods so they are forced to lock up the car and go for the hike you are trying to get them to take.

4. When you create the listing, you must provide additional waypoints for each point in your multi. If they are "virtual" answer a question type waypoints, make sure to mark them as such. This is important for proximity issues when others want to place caches in the area.

5. Have fun! That's the whole point.

1. Please don't let certain forum member's personal dislike of certain containers keep you from doing what you like or even can do. Sticking an ammo can at the edge of a parking lot is not a good idea even if most cachers like finding then. If a micro is the best and safest way to start the multi, then that is what you should use.

2. If you want them to park in the lot, make that the main waypoint of the listing and make sure that all other waypoints are hidden.

3. Regardless of how you set up the first waypoint, do not simply put the final point in it. Cachers will look at the big picture and decide that they can drive closer, which will have them parked where you specifically did not want them parked. Instead, put one or two waypoints on the trail through the woods so they are forced to lock up the car and go for the hike you are trying to get them to take.

4. When you create the listing, you must provide additional waypoints for each point in your multi. If they are "virtual" answer a question type waypoints, make sure to mark them as such. This is important for proximity issues when others want to place caches in the area.

5. Have fun! That's the whole point.

Agreed. I think #3 is especially important. People will drive if they can. If you want them to walk on the trial, put a container or two along the trail.

I enjoy multis irregardless of what size the first several containers are (in fact, I can't remember finding a multi that had something other than a micro on the first stages). I have a harder time finding micros than larger caches, and if there are several stages, I'm more apt to DNF it, so I appreciate good hints for all the stages (but that's totally optional of course).

It sounds like a great spot for a cache!