My continuing dramas with the Etrex 20

I thought that I would start a new thread as I no longer need to refer to the 'Vista'. I hope that it is OK to do this.

I have downloaded the British isle maps from the Talkytoaster, un zipped them, and currently loading them to the micro SD card in the Etrex 20. I would like conformation that it is Ok to do this and will be accessible when I go to maps?

Ain't this exciting... :o

Yep, but you'll need to create a folder on the card called Garmin and put the maps in that. Also check the card is formatted as FAT32 :)

Thanks you are a gem. No wonder it was not being seen. I will have to reformat it as it showed as just 'fat'

I think I have sused out most of the other functions. It's a bit more complicated than my old yellow etrex.

I gave the etrex 20 an outing this morning and did a couple of easy local caches, it found them easily. I would question the accuracy of the CO GPS as my etrex put me a few feet away from the actual cache.

I did a test later and marked a waypoint, and then returned following the path. I was 2 foot out.

Also the boot up time is amazing. I have 3 bars on it as I sit here in doors in my lounge. Window facing north.

Great bit of kit.

Help, a question.

I have read most of the manual but can't find the answer. I would like to use the compas mode whilst heading for the cache, like I did with my Etrex yellow. So how can I replace the odometer and or the elevation for distance to the cache when in the compass function?

Thanks Sassamb. That is what I wanted to do and you have told me how.

There is so much that can be done with this thing, and I have a lot to learn.

I am finding new things every time I play with it.

The manual is not very clever. At least it's not in Chinglish :anicute:

You could always try using GSAK 8.

Easy to create GPX files to load on your Etrex, easy to download found caches and publish the logs them to Geocaching.com.

Whn I want to clear the found caches on my GPS Map62 I simply delete the GPX file and load a new one.

Used to hate GSAK but decided to persevere with it and after a couple of uses I got to the point where I would not be without it.

This is what I did to get my cache lists to my Etrex. But I noticed that with Basecamp, when it showed the caches, the ones that I had done and these were the ones I wanted to delete where shown as the 'chest' was open.

As I had a few, just seeing the gpx file I would not remember which ones I had done, and which ones I had to do.