Longview Cache Machine II

travisl

(Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts (with the icon13.gif icon) in this thread for all the important details and changes.)

(Link to dinner event cache.)

According to Forbes magazine, Longview is one of America's prettiest towns. It's also pretty full of caches. Let's get some.

Note that several caches on the route map will be marked with a "do not enter" icon (icon_disabled.gif). Those cache owners have justifiably asked for their cache to not be on the route, and for the cache to not be sought after this weekend. The cache is, in the owner's opinion, in a sensitive area, whether it's ecologially sensitive, socially sensitive, or physically fragile. Just don't get it. It's not like there's a shortage of caches in the area.

Fill up the tank, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and start on the route. Sunrise on Saturday, June 30, is at 5:24 a.m., but feel free to start whenever you'd like, wherever you'd like. Dinner's at 8:00 p.m.

Rules:

1) Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt.

2) Respect private property, even if the cache owner didn't. Post your DNFs proudly.

3) One logbook entry for "LCM" is fine for most small and micros. Don't go filling up the logbook just because you want to mark your territory. 100 people's names and dates will fill up most one-sheets. Be kind and bring extra paper to add to caches with full logbooks.

4) As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it. Handing it off to someone else and pointing down saying "it goes there" isn't good enough. Don't be a jerk. The extra 45 seconds isn't going to ruin your day.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page.

----

The Longview Cache Machine II FAQ:

When is it? When is the start time?

Saturday, June 30, 2012. Start whenever you want, although if you're ambitious, sunrise is at 5:24 a.m. Dinner is at 8:00 p.m.

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

I'll suggest a few starting points once I have the route slightly more developed. If you like caching with large groups, you can start at one of those points at sunrise. Or, if you like caching in smaller groups, pick somewhere else to start from. After a dozen caches or so, larger groups tend to fragment, and on a long day like this, you'll probably be on your own by the time most people in town are waking up.

Where does the route start?

Wherever you want. Pick a spot! I'll have a few suggestions, but it's up to you.

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

• Friday, June 29, at 6:30 p.m., will be a pre-event dinner. Location will be announced later in this thread.
  • Saturday, June 30, at 8:00 p.m., dinner will be at Sizzler, 936 Ocean Beach Highway, N 47° 8.820', W 116° 55.752'. I'll have an event page for this dinner event.
  • Sunday, July 1, get the ones you missed!

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park.

Let me know, and I'll incorporate it into the route.

If dinner's at 8:00 p.m., why does the route run way past then? Is this a two-day event?

The extra time is a buffer, in case you're so good that you'd run out of caches before you run out of daylight. I don't expect anyone would be able to hit all of them between sunrise and sunset. Of course, if you wanted to hit them after dinner, or on Sunday, I'm sure you'll be able to find folks to join you.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet.

You don't have X cache on the route. Why aren't we getting that one?

I try to avoid most multicaches, most puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived/a two mile hike.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or will check with the owner (if disabled).

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area.

By all means, let me know. I don't want to send 100 people there to stomp all over it.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route.

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this.

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

Lunch: You should probably bring a sack lunch to eat on the road.

Breaks and Bathrooms: There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. :-P Or find something on the way.

Rain? Snow? Landslides? Flooding?

Could be. Do what you safely can, and skip ahead when reality or your capabilities don't match the plan. Be prepared and flexible.

What do the map symbols mean?

ce16d180-40c2-423d-a3ab-b976b7b4a2b2.jpg

Draft 1 is up. Let me know if you see anything I've done that doesn't make much sense. It happens. :-)

Longview Cache Machine II route, draft 1.

I've also e-mailed every cache owner who has two or more caches within five miles of the center point of the route. If you know of any caches on or near this route that shouldn't be hunted by 100 people in a day, please let me know.

(Note that the information about the pre-event dinner is really really drafty. I've not heard from the restaurant yet, and know little about it.)

Edited by travisl

Very few PM caches ...

GC2TQQK

Regular members can log this one via geocachingadmin.com

Lots of problem caches ...

GC2A3PC - Disabled

GC1V5R4 - last four DNF

GC2BFN0 - Disabled

GC1VMNA - Problems with the hide and a NA log

GC1VV0P - Pass couple DNF, also looks like if gate is closed the hike is more than a quarter mile.

GC1M6AD - Need to keep an eye on this one, last two DNF

GC39EVE - Disabled

GC1X0M3 - Two maintenance requests, cache may be missing

GC1X0M3 - Nine DNF's in a row. Missing? Probably.

GC1RBYM - Three DNF's and a Found it DNF log

GC22XN8 - Interesting. Of the last nine logs 7 were DNF, one was a Found it DNF log and one of the last ones was and easy find Found it log. I'm betting it is gone.

GC37M04 - Disabled

GC1Z48M - Last two were DNF, probably need to keep an eye on it.

Bookmark is being posted.

For what it's worth, I just booked the Kelso Best Western on Hotwire for $52 a night. It's the 2.5-star unnamed property with pool, laundry, and breakfast, although I'm not sure I'll still be at the hotel by the time breakfast rolls around. Your mileage may vary.

Just tossing these here for your convenience: TripAdvisor rankings for Longview and Kelso.

For what it's worth, I just booked the Kelso Best Western on Hotwire for $52 a night. It's the 2.5-star unnamed property with pool, laundry, and breakfast, although I'm not sure I'll still be at the hotel by the time breakfast rolls around. Your mileage may vary.

Just tossing these here for your convenience: TripAdvisor rankings for Longview and Kelso.

I'm at the Econo Lodge in Kelso for $42/night (AAA rate). Not much liking the TripAdvisor reviews, but hey, it's a Choice hotel, so I get points.

Draft 2 is up. I've incorporated most the notes from JHolly and ThePetersTrio. GC37M04 is back, and GC1M6AD was confirmed to still be there.

I'm not quite ready to announce the pre-event dinner yet, so consider the fact that there's a place listed in the draft to be, well, a draft.

The route was running really, really late into Sunday, so I lopped off part of the route in the northeast, on the west shore of the Cowlitz -- too much backtracking. I modified the route to dive into Rainier, Oregon a lot earlier in the route, which pushes the estimated arrival time at the 2/5 Robinson Crusoe Cache to the right spot. OUTLAW70 will be there between noon and 3:00 PM with kayaks, life jackets, and advice.

I also lopped off the northern edge, along Lone Oak and Columbia Heights roads. Maybe there's a nice view up there, but with Cool View out of commission, it's a bit of driving for a few scattered caches.

It's looking like it could be a smaller turnout than other recent cache machines. Only 37 RSVPs at the moment. I suspect that's because lots of cachers have already cleared out Longview, what with it being right on I-5 and probably on people's way back from the Astoria and Long Beach CMs.

As always, any tips and advice you're willing to share, I'm happy to hear.

well, you can make it 38, I just have not announced it yet so am sure some other chowderheads like me have forgot to post when they realized they could go after all.

possible a few folks can't afford to time the Mega in Victoria BC the next weekend and do this one, but we're going to try.

a kayak cache on a cache machine, that a first?

The pre-event dinner location has been confirmed: Pie@trio's, 614 Commerce Ave., Longview, N 46.1249, W 122.9390. Be there no earlier than 6:30. The banquet room is reserved for a wedding party; we're not them. Unlike Sunday, the later you show up, the more likely it is you'll find a seat.

With that said, I'll need some assistance that evening in coordinating with the restaurant. My work has an end-of-month project I'm involved with, so I won't be able to make it to town until much later on Friday night. Anybody willing to do the following for me?

• Monitor this forum until the last moment,
  • Show up at Pie@trios at 6:20ish,
  • Say "hi, I'm here on behalf of Travis" to the restaurant management,
  • Assemble and evaluate cache reports from early searchers at dinner,
  • Announce the last minute route changes near the end of dinner to each table of cachers,
  • And then post those changes to this forum later that night.

Draft 2 bookmark posted

Problems:

#38 - GC2M6RM - 2 DNF's in a row

Now up to 3 DNF's in a row.

#55 - GC3JMEA - listed as GC37JMEA

#56 - GC1XNPZ - Cache is only log and lid

No change

#64 - GC1XYP1 - string of DNF's

No change

#79 - GC289G0 - 2 DNF's and a CO note saying he will check on it

Fixed and back in business

#86 - GC33VX2 - 3 DNF's in a row

Now five.

#99 - GC1RQK5 - Last 10 logs were a DNF. Betting it is gone.

Good bet. Owner said it was missing and now archived.

#122 - GC1RMZV - Need to watch, last two were DNF

No change and no new logs.

New change

#111 - GC1THWZ - Archived

Several of the caches listed are owned by the same person. I e-mailed him yesterday and he responded back telling me that he had tomorrow set aside to go out and do some work on his caches. He is aware of the upcoming CM. So, hopefully 4 or 5 of those will be ready to go this weekend. I asked him to email me once they were back in place. Also, As you can see, Travisd asked if anyone would help him out with the Friday Pre-Event gathering.

I will go ahead and take care of that for him.

With two weeks to go until the event, and one week to go until I post the final draft, it looks like it'll be best if I don't create a draft #33 and instead go straight to final, what with the potential of several under-the-weather caches getting owner maintenance in the next few days.

Thanks for staying on top of this, JHolly and BN&Z, and also thanks, BN&Z, for agreeing to help out on Friday, June 29.

Edited by travisl

The final route is up!

And as soon as I created it, I learned of these last minute changes:

These three caches are listed on the route, but they're disabled. and won't be up in time:

icon_disabled.gif Stop #44, GC2M6RM Walking the canal

icon_disabled.gif Stop #45, GC1VAXW Craig 26

icon_disabled.gif Stop #52, GC1YJGC Katy 27

See you all in Longview!

I would love to see GC3MJ6C "Gary's Lost Creek" included, since it's getting quite a few good reviews. I'm sure this wouldn't change the route very much either, because it's barely down Olson road, if you're coming from Columbia Heights road. This little cache would love to put a smile on the participants faces. :)

Regarding the comments by Kiersolvd and Trypanophobia, the route and event is solely Travis's thing. I just provide the bookmark and I do not deviate from what he publishes. Adding caches into the bookmark that are not on the route might be confusing. My suggestion is that if your using GSAK add them manually and if your dragging and dropping the PQ on to your device just add the extra two .gpx files for those caches. If Travis decides to add them, I will add them to the bookmark, however I suspect the time for these comments would have been after draft 1 or 2 and before the final.

JHolly's right. At this point in the planning, the only changes I make to the route are to announce which caches need to be skipped. It's not unusual for folks to plan a trip around the cache machine, so I try to make sure that the Monday before, the route's locked down.

That said, I wish I would have seen that "End of Trail?" was solvable by hunting the caches that are already on the route. I plan on getting it now. "Gary's Lost Creek" is far enough off the route that it wasn't feasible: after "Cool View" got removed, and I needed to prune caches off the route to make it end before midnight, I took the Columbia Heights Road caches and most of the Westside Highway caches north of SR-4 off the route. Feedback between my first post on May 11 and the final route on June 25 might have made me rethink the route through there.

I made a mistake in my June 7 posting (I wrote "Sunday"). To be clear:

• Pre-event dinner, Friday, June 29, Be there no earlier than 6:30. Pie@trio's, 614 Commerce Ave., Longview, N 46° 7.494', W 122° 56.340'.
  • Longview Cache Machine II, Saturday, June 30. Sunrise is at 5:24 AM. The start point is up to you.
  • Longview Cache Machine II Dinner, Saturday, June 30. 8:00 p.m., dinner will be at Sizzler, 936 Ocean Beach Highway, N 47° 8.820', W 116° 55.752'.

I'll see you in Longview!

I almost forgot to alert the local police. I've just left voice mails for Longview and the Cowlitz County Sheriff, spoken with the dispatch center, and e-mailed Kelso and Rainier. As I said in rule #1 in post #1 above, follow all traffic laws, and drive safely.

It looks like the forecast is 73º and drizzly tomorrow -- not too hot, not too cold, not too wet, and the dust stays down. Perfect weather for a cache machine!

I've been running the route and I want to report that stop 4-GC2A3PC -- Pioneer Lions Island, we found a lid to a a container that is the same container as an earier find. However, we weren't able to locate the cache. It's either missing , OR I need to go back to Geochache High School. Also Stop 13-- GC24YRC -- Nuclear Meltdown, we found a magnet but nothing else. A previous post mentioned that the cache was barely hanging on and it may not be there.

Also,stop number #86 GC1HNZ8 A Long View-- is reported as missing. A portion of the cache was brought to the pre-event gathering. Stops 84 and 85 Hwy 30 TB Hotel and What a View cannont be reached coming down the hill.

Edited by Berta, Nick and Zoey

I made a mistake in my June 7 posting (I wrote "Sunday"). To be clear:

• Pre-event dinner, Friday, June 29, Be there no earlier than 6:30. Pie@trio's, 614 Commerce Ave., Longview, N 46° 7.494', W 122° 56.340'.
  • Longview Cache Machine II, Saturday, June 30. Sunrise is at 5:24 AM. The start point is up to you.
  • Longview Cache Machine II Dinner, Saturday, June 30. 8:00 p.m., dinner will be at Sizzler, 936 Ocean Beach Highway, N 47° 8.820', W 116° 55.752'.

I'll see you in Longview!

The coordinates you give here for Saturday dinner are way off. They should be N 46° 08.820', W 122° 55.752'.

Stop #132 (GC1RMZV) is listed as "Garden On The Cowlitz" but I think it is entitled "Gerhart Gardens Park". Either that, or I am reading something the wrong way.

The cache was disabled as Garden on the Cowlitz. When it was repaired and re-enabled there was a disruption in the space-time continuum and the name was changed to Gerhart Gardens Park.