Can't get my computer to find my connected GPS device... any ideas?

kazfire

I have two different computers and I can't get either one to recognize my GPS when it is plugged in. Is there any way I can check to see if it's a problem with the GPS, the computer, the cable, or something else? I've downloaded all required plugins and updates on both computers, and the GPS functions just fine. I'm not sure what else to check! The GPS is a Garmin GPSmap 60CS and both computers are Acer, one is a laptop and one is a netbook. Thanks!

I have two different computers and I can't get either one to recognize my GPS when it is plugged in. Is there any way I can check to see if it's a problem with the GPS, the computer, the cable, or something else? I've downloaded all required plugins and updates on both computers, and the GPS functions just fine. I'm not sure what else to check! The GPS is a Garmin GPSmap 60CS and both computers are Acer, one is a laptop and one is a netbook. Thanks!

What type of cable are you using? USB or serial? If USB, have you installed the USB drivers? When you check the "Interface Setup" on your device (page 56 of the manual), is it set to "GARMIN" for the cable type you're using?

What type of cable are you using? USB or serial? If USB, have you installed the USB drivers? When you check the "Interface Setup" on your device (page 56 of the manual), is it set to "GARMIN" for the cable type you're using?

The unit has a USB port only. When first connected it should prompt you for drivers. How do you know that the computer will not recognize it? The computer really doesn't do anything when you connect. This unit does not have an SD card and it does not emulate a removable drive. You can only communicate with it through a third party program such as GSAK, Mapsource, Basecamp, EasyGPS... Is a program such as these telling you that it can't find the device?

Not exactely true. You CAN communicate with your Garmin device, all you need is the Garmin plug in "garmin communicator", which you can download free from the Garmin website. You may need to click on "my computer" after you connect it to find your GPS, some browsers will pop it up on the screen you are on and some will not. Also some browsers need you to plug your GPS in and then turn it on, and some browsers will turn your GPS on for you and go to "mass storage". You will know the computer sees your GPS when it shows a little "USB" guy on the GPS screen. Try it different ways, you will get it.

Not exactely true. You CAN communicate with your Garmin device, all you need is the Garmin plug in "garmin communicator", which you can download free from the Garmin website. You may need to click on "my computer" after you connect it to find your GPS, some browsers will pop it up on the screen you are on and some will not. Also some browsers need you to plug your GPS in and then turn it on, and some browsers will turn your GPS on for you and go to "mass storage". You will know the computer sees your GPS when it shows a little "USB" guy on the GPS screen. Try it different ways, you will get it.

There is no mass storage on the 60CS. Windows can not "explore" the unit or transfer files natively. It needs a third party program. My list was not exclusive. The Garmin Plugin is used by websites to transfer data to the device.

Does your garmin have an SD card? I solved this communication problem with a Magellan by putting the SD card in the computer via the built-in slot or a USB card reader. It shows up as an external drive. Then GSAK will upload caches just fine.

The 60CS does NOT have a SD card. You can't communicate with it with your computer like you would with one of the newer units. Of course, I've said that two other times in this thread.

Since the OP apparently doesn't really care to fix his problem, I'll just drop this from the watched topics.

Edited by Don_J