Facebook

GT.US

When is Waymarking going to get a little button for facebook?

It seems that just about any website I go to has a button to share it on facebook.

What would you guys think about moving some of our discussions over to Facebook? http://www.facebook.com/waymarkingdotcom . I log onto these forums less and less, and just about all social communication seems to be on facebook. It just makes sense.

I do not use Facebook and do not intend to. Ever. It bugs the heck out of me that every time I log onto geocaching.com I have to scroll down past the Facebook login in order to see the full login box for GC.com.

+1 to both of the previous posters

I wish facebook would just go away. Certainly away from here. And anybody who only wants to conduct their social communication on facebook is welcome to leave here and stay over there. Don't wait for me to join you.

Facebook is a reality; there may be some good reasons to participate, and there may be good reasons not to do so. I must confess I do have an account over there, it is helpful to stay in contact with people you would lose otherwise. I appreciate this possibility and I take the chance to profit from it; I still do not like the big picture and try to keep this as low as possible. And I do not think it is a good idea at all to move an existing established channel over there, certainly not.

But this is no reason to be rude. One of the best things in this forum is the general helpful and friendly atmosphere that is hardly beat by any other, I would like if it stayed like this.

Contrary to others that have posted, I would 100% be onboard for discussions and happenings in the Waymarking community to be on FB! I use FB must more than any other website because almost ANY group or site or organization is found on there. Its an almost 1-stop shop for all things that I am involved in and participate in. The ONLY message boards I still visit off of FB is this one and one for NCAA Division II basketball. Other than that, its all on Facebook!

I joined FB recently just out of curiosity. Discovered that very few of my friends & only one of my relations were on FB so hardly go into it. Perhaps there are other uses for it. It wouldn't hurt to have a FB link on Waymarking though - you can choose which way you communicate. As for me - I prefer to socialize over a beer & discuss matters such as this here.

I joined FB recently just out of curiosity. Discovered that very few of my friends & only one of my relations were on FB so hardly go into it. Perhaps there are other uses for it. It wouldn't hurt to have a FB link on Waymarking though - you can choose which way you communicate. As for me - I prefer to socialize over a beer & discuss matters such as this here.

Have you checked to see whether your local geocaching groups are on there? Over here in UK, over the last year or so, it's been very noticeable how much geocaching interaction has moved away the geocaching.com UK forum and other UK regional forums onto facebook groups. I'd guess we must have about 10 such groups - Geocaching UK and the GAGB cover all UK & Ireland, then there are many smaller regional groups.

MrsB :)

I did notice that the GC.com site has an option to logon with your facebook credentials. If Waymarking had the option to logon with facebook credentials, I believe visit logs would increase. Providiing thats all you needed to log in.

I guess the hard part for some to get around with FB is that you loose your anonimity (sp?). That nice name you picked out for your Waymarking ID is replaced by your actual name. If one of your old high school friends shares on your wall, your Waymarking friends will see it. So, every time my daughter in law puts up a new baby picture of my granddaughter and tags me in it, everyone can see it. Even the people who don't know I'm a grandma.

Usually, when you create a FB account, you don't have to look for old friends and acquaintances, they will find you, unless you have a very common name and no picture.

I did notice that the GC.com site has an option to logon with your facebook credentials. If Waymarking had the option to logon with facebook credentials, I believe visit logs would increase. Providiing thats all you needed to log in.

That is not really all you need. You still have to create a GC.com account, you just link your already established gc.com account to your facebook account which allows you to log in that way.

That is not really all you need. You still have to create a GC.com account, you just link your already established gc.com account to your facebook account which allows you to log in that way.

It looks like people without an existing account have the option to open an account. It suggested a name that was available, and had a place to pick a password, but I think everything else in the registration would come from FB, but I didn't click through to confirm.

I am not a fan of Face Book either. No button please.

The thing I have noticed is the waymarkers that are no longer active in these forums I see often on FB. I also feel more connected to my FB waymarker friends than other waymarkers.

Really, whether one likes Facebook or not is irrelevant to this discussion. The original question was about the potential advantages of adding a FB link to Waymarking.com. Someone suggested implementing a "log in with your FB account" feature similar to Geocaching.com. (Actually it is a mystery to me why features available on GC are not availabel on WM. I know they are separate platforms, but it seems to me that if the feature is implemented on one, half the work is already done).

So, likes and dislikes are just not the point. Even if you can't stand FB, the truth is the hundreds of millions of people are active on FB and the power of a presence there cannot be disputed. If interfacing with FB would bring more people to Waymarking.com or make it easier, why not allow it? It would not interfere in the slightest with those who would never come within ten mouse clicks of the site. Look at the bottom of this page? Since our forums are now on the GC site, you'll see a row of buttons to share with FB, Twitter, etc.

I have little idea how any of the others work. I've never sent a Tweet. But, millions do, so it is good to have this feature.

Although, irrelevant to the discussion, I do have a FB account which is a real lifeline for me being so far from my family. Those photos and videos of my new granddaughter are priceless. The connections with friends around the world is so valuable to me. (Heck, my 90 year-old mother is on FB - has a Kindle, too). Reconnecting with old classmates, former students, and family has been so rewarding. And, I do follow websites and organizations through FB, too. It is a powerful platform. Dangers and pitfalls? You betcha! All technology has its downside (or darkside). Used wisely, though, it can be a great asset, and a tool that Waymarking.com could use to its advantage.

I always feel nettled when someone creates a cogent, well phrased, and compelling argument that completely sweeps away my misanthropic mutterings. Yes, correct, fb is more than just too many young people chattering about nothing and swapping pictures they shouldn't. Individual likes and dislikes about fb are irrelevant. The reality is that a vast number of people use it, therefore wm should have a presence. This will raise the public awareness of our hobby/sport, and very likely gain a few new chums. Therefore the question becomes how do we proceed from here? What exactly should we have on fb?

I always feel nettled when someone creates a cogent, well phrased, and compelling argument that completely sweeps away my misanthropic mutterings. Yes, correct, fb is more than just too many young people chattering about nothing and swapping pictures they shouldn't. Individual likes and dislikes about fb are irrelevant. The reality is that a vast number of people use it, therefore wm should have a presence. This will raise the public awareness of our hobby/sport, and very likely gain a few new chums. Therefore the question becomes how do we proceed from here? What exactly should we have on fb?

First step would be to get a logon with Facebook button for Waymarking. That would make it easier for anyone with a facebook account to logon, and attract non-geocaching waymarkers. It would make it easier for interested people to post visits.

Second Step would be integrating the Facebook Share and Like buttons. This would get the word out easier.

Third, and if there were anything below second it would come before this... I think that some Waymarking conversations could be moved to FB in a private group. I think the censorship that comes with using Groundspeak forums stifles creativity. I'd love to share some creative ways I've generated visits to my waymarks using QR codes and non-grounspeak software, but it's not worth my time to type when my post would be deleted. Many people like to talk about their geocaching sig item, but if it's a certain variety, it's name can't be mentioned. Personally, I find that my thoughts flow, and when I have to worry about the under-tow, the flow is interrupted. IMHO.

The were different topics coming up in this thread. So don't mix them up!

Like button? I don't like them but they don't hurt me (I'd prefer a privacy-save two-click solution as invented and documented by the German tech publishing company "heise.de", though).

Using FB login functionality for Waymarking? Same as above! Optional and additional to what we have now is no problem

Using Facebook to promote Waymarking? Sure, good thing, there is a group already; join it, if you use Facebook and tell your friends!

Moving discussions from here over to Facebook? No way! Never!

The were different topics coming up in this thread. So don't mix them up!

Like button? I don't like them but they don't hurt me (I'd prefer a privacy-save two-click solution as invented and documented by the German tech publishing company "heise.de", though).

Using FB login functionality for Waymarking? Same as above! Optional and additional to what we have now is no problem

Using Facebook to promote Waymarking? Sure, good thing, there is a group already; join it, if you use Facebook and tell your friends!

Moving discussions from here over to Facebook? No way! Never!

In total agreement.

I wouldn't mind a option for FB login on Waymarking.com IF, and I mean IF, IF, If, I wouldn't have to scroll down past the facebook sign-in in order to log in to Waymarking.com.

When is Waymarking going to get a little button for facebook?

It seems that just about any website I go to has a button to share it on facebook.

What would you guys think about moving some of our discussions over to Facebook? http://www.facebook.com/waymarkingdotcom . I log onto these forums less and less, and just about all social communication seems to be on facebook. It just makes sense.

The little Facebook option is very annoying when logging caches !!!!!!!!!

I have a Facebook account... and I log on everyday to read stuff. We have a local geocachers group on Facebook that we keep in touch with.

I will never connect or login via Facebook and geocaching.

There's enough crap being posted on Facebook and the last thing I want is to see more crap. I like to keep as low profile as possible (on Facebook) because you generate less DRAMA that way!