Hometown clearance

Was chatting to Red lobster last night and we were qutie proud that there is a large area east of our town that is now clear of caches where we have found everything. Its kinda now kicked in my OCD in that I want to find all the caches in and around the town..... I know alot of regular cachers have done this. I remember one chap at the last meet saying there are no caches within 10 miles of him he hasnt found.

So my question for you is if you have done something similar and how big is your radius?

Somebody has put one in the bottom of a flooded quarry near me which is only accessible with SCUBA gear (and hasn't been found since 2010 either). I did once dive in the quarry, many years ago, before geocaching was thought of probably.

I no longer have access to diving gear so I guess this one will carry on being a source of irritation every time I look at the map!

Somebody has put one in the bottom of a flooded quarry near me which is only accessible with SCUBA gear (and hasn't been found since 2010 either). I did once dive in the quarry, many years ago, before geocaching was thought of probably.

I no longer have access to diving gear so I guess this one will carry on being a source of irritation every time I look at the map!

Oh no is it the only one for miles? Ever thought about renting gear jsut to go get it?

Oh no is it the only one for miles? Ever thought about renting gear jsut to go get it?

It's http://coord.info/GC12GE1

I doubt it's there any more. Several people have tried to find it but come up empty-handed. We need more adventurous caches though, so I hope nobody puts a Needs Archiving on it just yet.

I suspect my diving skills are now such that I'd probably kill myself if I went looking for it!

Edited by The Patrician

I joined the site a few years ago but only become active in the last month or so.

The radius for me is starting to fill and get wider in two areas, one being where I live and the other where I work as I try and get out during my lunch break.

I suspect that everyone will initially have a radius like that which slowly fills and gets bigger unless you travel a lot and able to find caches on route.

At some point if you are active and can only work local the radius will fill quickly and slowly grow all the time.

For me it is annoying where some caches become inactive, DNF (which I usually try again later to look for) or are Premium only which I am still considering.

Regards to the diving gear I think that has to be an extreme cache which if it was at the bottom of a quarry which has since filled with water surely has to be archived at some point.

Perhaps there needs to be some trigger where a find is not registered after a certain period that the cache is finally archived or at least questions are asked and the CO has to visit to prove it is still there and active.

Paul

Langy... It hasn't since filled with water, it was deliberately placed at the bottom of the water in the quarry as a high difficulty cache!

Wow that is what you call an extreme one.

Would the CO be able to visit if someone posted that it required maintenance?

Paul

Was chatting to Red lobster last night and we were qutie proud that there is a large area east of our town that is now clear of caches where we have found everything. Its kinda now kicked in my OCD in that I want to find all the caches in and around the town..... I know alot of regular cachers have done this. I remember one chap at the last meet saying there are no caches within 10 miles of him he hasnt found.

So my question for you is if you have done something similar and how big is your radius?

I had got to a stage where I'd found everything within about 6-7 miles of home (living in the suburbs of London that covers a lot of caches). Then people starting hiding new ones, and since I'm trying to fill in my calendar I've left the very close ones unfound in case I need a quick cache-and-grab from home to fill a day that would otherwise go unfilled.

A friend in rural Pennsylvania set himself a mission to find everything within 10 miles of his home. That meant about 200 caches. Within 10 miles of my home there are north of 2000 caches.

Dont get sucked in....nicotine has nothing on the horrors of the 10 mile radius addiction. I have been there! I DID it! It was all clear with nothing but a few event caches on the ignore list...... and then they kept coming, new caches East, West, North and South. Some in series, some puzzles, some difficult, some needing an 18 mile round trip out for a C & D although don't forget this is as the crow flies so often it was 30 miles.

I am now fixed, saved and the addiction has passed away. It will never destroy my life again. I will never.....

Hang on... new cache... 3 miles away, sorry got to dash!!!!

The path to happiness and wisdom is simply to realise that YOU DO NOT have to find every cache. It doesn't matter how close it is, how far, etc etc etc. Just say NO!

Once you've reached this Zen-like state, peace and happiness will fill your days. Just because some fool hides a 35mm can on a pole or dog bin, you are serene in the knowledge that it can happily be left to the poor addicted souls who are still dragged down by their crushing need.

Given the number of caches out there now, you will NEVER find them all. Given some are beyond your abilities of rock climbing or puzzle solving, you will NEVER find them all. Given some are simply c**p, if you've got any brain cells left, you will NEVER want to find them all. Given caches come and go, being published and archived in an increasingly short time frame, you will NEVER find them all.

So relax, safe and secure in the happy knowledge that you will NEVER find them all!

Just go and find the ones that appeal to you. The choice is entirely yours, and you do have to choose, because you will never find them ALL.

Simples! :D

(This happy message brought to you by the Society for the Rehabilitation of Caching Addicts!) B)

The path to happiness and wisdom is simply to realise that YOU DO NOT have to find every cache. It doesn't matter how close it is, how far, etc etc etc. Just say NO!

Once you've reached this Zen-like state, peace and happiness will fill your days. Just because some fool hides a 35mm can on a pole or dog bin, you are serene in the knowledge that it can happily be left to the poor addicted souls who are still dragged down by their crushing need.

Given the number of caches out there now, you will NEVER find them all. Given some are beyond your abilities of rock climbing or puzzle solving, you will NEVER find them all. Given some are simply c**p, if you've got any brain cells left, you will NEVER want to find them all. Given caches come and go, being published and archived in an increasingly short time frame, you will NEVER find them all.

So relax, safe and secure in the happy knowledge that you will NEVER find them all!

Just go and find the ones that appeal to you. The choice is entirely yours, and you do have to choose, because you will never find them ALL.

(This happy message brought to you by the Society for the Rehabilitation of Caching Addicts!) B)

But.....But.....But.... I have to find them all, they're out there, staring at me with no smiley faces. It says 8.6 miles. It has to be found.

OOOHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Its all right - Zen resumed. Realaxed.

Thank you SOCIETY OF CACHING ADDICTS for all your help. I hope you will.....

...oh no, new cache 1.2 miles....just one more, I promise.

You just don't get it, do you?

If a cache is there it is there to be found. If you lack the necessary climbing skills, team up with someone who has the right gear. If you can't solve the puzzle find an event to attend and talk about the puzzle until you have solved it. If needs be bribe someone who has solved it for the answer, and find it. Because if you don't, you might get that notification that it was archived before you found it and then you'd have to live with the regret for the rest of your life.

(This message brought to you by the Society for the Dehabilitation of Rehabilitated Caching Addicts)

Good to hear IM not the only one who is suffering from this. I would like the number for the society's helpline so I can........ ooooh an email 1 min......... new cache. Yeah Ill be back later I promise......... new series? 19 caches.

laters

You just don't get it, do you?

If a cache is there it is there to be found. If you lack the necessary climbing skills, team up with someone who has the right gear. If you can't solve the puzzle find an event to attend and talk about the puzzle until you have solved it. If needs be bribe someone who has solved it for the answer, and find it. Because if you don't, you might get that notification that it was archived before you found it and then you'd have to live with the regret for the rest of your life.

(This message brought to you by the Society for the Dehabilitation of Rehabilitated Caching Addicts)

Very good posts! Gave me the first laugh of the day. :D

For some, there is just no hope...

MrsB

Is it really a case that you have to get everything so close??????

I suppose even though I've become hooked in some way, it's not driven by numbers or having to find everything as close as possible.

However it is nice to see your number go up, even for me being so competative this one I know I can't win so my fun is to get out there and actually find them. It doesn't have to be clear the map as close as possible, it just becomes harder to choose as you take out a lot of the closer ones as your choice is becoming limited based on the time and distance you have to travel.

Think I better get the number for the Caching Addicts for later reference. Does someone have the co-ordinates for them? I can log them as found then.:rolleyes:

I used to live in Jersey, it was easy to try to keep the 10 mile rule B)

Now I am in the Uk I have a new radius to consider - and may be one for work, one for home and one for the route between!

Although rivers do mean that a cache within 5 miles may need over a hour to get to...

Once upon a time I'd cleared my ten mile radius...

In fact once upon a time there were only about twenty caches in Hampshire that I hadn't done.

Now there are about forty in Southampton alone I haven't found, and the prevalence of micro- and nano-spew means I probably won't ever clear the city. In London I've got a reasonable radius from the office where I've found most caches, although there's a couple of puzzles that continue to elude me. Oh, and a new one placed last week that I can see from the office window!

our nearest unfound cache hasn't been found in the last 10 months, since then 6 teams have looked, some on more than one visit. I've flagged it as needing maintenance, but the CO hasn't logged in for the last 18 months, so I don't hold out much hope. The lack of smiley face is annoying :( but it seems a bit mean to ask for it to be archived just so the green box on the map stops bugging me!

our nearest unfound cache hasn't been found in the last 10 months, since then 6 teams have looked, some on more than one visit. I've flagged it as needing maintenance, but the CO hasn't logged in for the last 18 months, so I don't hold out much hope. The lack of smiley face is annoying :( but it seems a bit mean to ask for it to be archived just so the green box on the map stops bugging me!

Would this help settle your mind about making the appropriate decision over the cache

Ok this comes from a mixture of the Guidelines and personal experience both as a Reviewer and as a Member :o

Caches should only be Disabled for a short period, but if the owner keeps everyone updated by posting a note the cache every 6-8 weeks explaining what's happening that period can be extensive ie: access issues due to forestry work, Building Work or even Illness come to mind.

After many DNF's the owner should Disable it to allow a Maintenance visit to be paid. We're not talking after one or 2 ;) but a large No indicates that there is a issue which needs looking into.

Caches Disabled for extended periods where the owner has not post a genuine reason risks having the cache Archived.

Deci

Warning system to owners :o .

A Needs Maintenance Visit log should flag up to a owner that there is a issue that needs quickly seeing to. It should be considered a Yellow Card :D as Reviewers aren't copied the log.

Needs Archiving this should be considered a Red Card Final Warning by cache owners, as Reviewers are copied in on this Log Type. Owners who have not logged in for a extended period can reasonably expect to have it Archived Immediately on the Grounds that it has been Abandoned. In other cases it's on a case by case basis. I've seen NA logs made by mistake :D, and not always by new cachers :D

If your aware of a cache with Issues, which you do not fell needs a Needs Archiving Log being immediately made to it should receive a Needs Maintenance log. If after 4 weeks the owner has not actioned the log, then post a Needs Archiving log. The owner can't complain that they haven't received fair warning.

If your aware of issues with a cache ie: Multiple DNF's, extended Disabled without good reason. Needs Maintenance ignored. But do not wish to post a needs Maintenance or Needs Archiving log, please feel free to contact me or my colleagues directly. We [well i] won't shout or bite :P

Both the Needs Maintenance and Needs Archiving log types are for Members to flag up issues with other members caches to the owners. and in the case of Needs Archiving to Reviewers as well.

Removal of Needs Maintenance Icons, the cache owner has to post a Owner Maintenance log. This log type should only be used after the owner has physically visited the cache location, maintained the cache and enabled it if needed. The use of this log type for any other purpose should be flagged back up with another Needs Maintenance log or by contacting one of the Reviewers. The Needs Maintenance Icon can not be removed by deleting the NM log [something I've seen happen to hide the fact that the cache needed urgent maintenance] , if you make a NM log and the cache owner deletes it without Maintaining the cache. Please post a Needs Archiving log or again make direct contact with a Reviewer.

As I have stated the above is a mixture of the Guidelines and personal experience, but above all it's based on common sense :D

I've posted this before, but it's still relevant today.

Click ignore on the cache page? (It's what I do with puzzle caches I stand no hope of solving!)

In good keeping with helping cachers break their need to find every cache in a town I have placed this doozy in Banbury!

Glad to see it hasnt been found yet!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b2ebaf59-da21-49b2-808e-ee1fb4a198a0

Love this, there's an Irish one that still sits unfound. It would be nice if this occurs too. I had one like it I was going to set out but never mind.

I had got to a stage where I'd found everything within about 6-7 miles of home (living in the suburbs of London that covers a lot of caches). Then people starting hiding new ones, and since I'm trying to fill in my calendar I've left the very close ones unfound in case I need a quick cache-and-grab from home to fill a day that would otherwise go unfilled.

I've been trying to do something similar. I work in the centre of London and have been popping out in my lunch breaks and have 'smiley faced' a large area of the West End. The problem is of course that now the nearest ones are too far away to get to and back so I'm kinda stuck.

I know this isn't very selective but even though they're not all particularly clever hides the majority are in interesting locations I'd never have gone to otherwise.

It's also the annoyance when I make a visit somewhere like a park and get all the caches but one and it's not worth making the visit back another time just for that one

We are of a similar train of thought - we try and keep track of what appears locally and do the 'caches as soon as we can. Same goes for placing them - we pretty much have covered our nearby city centre (Hanley in Stoke on Trent) with enough to keep your average 'cacher busy for a few hours including one in muggle-central in the centre of town that causes amusement. Just enjoy caching, finding and placing. Leigh, Hanleycacher.

43 miles to the nearest cache. The only cache I've found on the site is a locationless.

18 miles on another site, I've found the 'local' cache. :

Groundspeak... If you discount the Unknown/Puzzle caches, I've managed to almost clear a 0.7 mile zone!

(It's almost easier to wait for the cache to be muggled and archived to clear it off the list! :laughing: )

Around three years ago, I cleared Wirral. No mean feat, I can tell you...

But then, I was cured. I now really only cache when we fancy a stroll, if we're going somewhere new and there's a decent cache there, if it's a new county for me or if we're at a camping event.

However.... I'll leave Wirral to move to the New Forest at some point soon (we hope) and the standard of caches there is second to none, a real example of where monitoring density, size and standard, really have worked.

It's now my intention to clear The Forest... There might only be 150 caches, but they have a further radius than the rest of the country, and definitely NO power trails!! I also love that there's no cache smaller than a small, and are all in exceptionally beautiful countryside!!

Matt doesn't really cache much now, so it may even get him out again!

Around three years ago, I cleared Wirral. No mean feat, I can tell you...

But then, I was cured. I now really only cache when we fancy a stroll, if we're going somewhere new and there's a decent cache there, if it's a new county for me or if we're at a camping event.

However.... I'll leave Wirral to move to the New Forest at some point soon (we hope) and the standard of caches there is second to none, a real example of where monitoring density, size and standard, really have worked.

It's now my intention to clear The Forest... There might only be 150 caches, but they have a further radius than the rest of the country, and definitely NO power trails!! I also love that there's no cache smaller than a small, and are all in exceptionally beautiful countryside!!

Matt doesn't really cache much now, so it may even get him out again!

Around here the locals seem to have responded to the moans about the proliferation of micro's by placing trails of smalls. That would be smalls ~0.2 miles apart with no swaps in them or space for trackables either....

Have you spotted any exceptional caches in the new forest? Might be worth a trip.

Philip

Have you spotted any exceptional caches in the new forest? Might be worth a trip.

Philip

Hi Philip

Has to be said.... I've not done a bad cache in the forest yet!!! I LOVE caching there, and those of you that know me well will know that I VERY rarely cache at home now, they're uninspiring, mainly micros in trashy places and NOT in locations I would want to go for a walk.

And yeah - it's all down to a bloke that I'm moving down there..... LOL

I'm afraid I'm coming to Oxford for the Geolympix... and I'll be doing the 11 icons... and I'll be staying overnight in Banbury for an early start on the Sunday morning... (you can see where this is going, can't you?)

I freely admit I have a problem. It started when I became a premium member just under a year ago and has got very out of hand. I can see he doesn't want to be found, but I'm just saying... well... you know...

I'll do what I can to stay away, but can't promise anything.

My name is mellers and I have a geoaddiction.

Once upon a time, many moons ago, I had the target of clearing my home county (Oxfordshire at that time) and was actually doing quite well until the rate of cache placement started to increase quicker than I could find them and an evil local cacher (2202) placed some puzzle caches that were way to difficult for my feeble little mind. That soon became a pipe dream, but now seems totally inconceivable that I had ever considered it; how things have changed!