Etrex vista HCX

I am thinking that it is about time I retired my 10 year old yellow etrex. It is still working OK (found me 3 caches last week) but it cannot keep up with the modern trend. Also I cannot load caches to it from my PC or iPad as the connecting cable is a serial one, and we are USB.

So I am looking at the Etrex vista HCX, and advice from any users. I read that with it I can go 'paperless' and also load maps. This is all I need.

Is there a way I can load caches from my iPad?

So pros and cons about the vista HCX. Thanks.

I've used a Vista HCX for several years. It can load maps, I use the free Talky Toaster maps (see other thread on here) which I find perfectly adequate. However if by 'paperless' caching you mean it will display the cache page details, hints etc then no it will not do that.

If you want paperless then this isn't the unit for you, but if you just want a good maping GPS then it's certainly worth considering.

As for the iPad question I think that's more a question about what the iPad can do rather than what the GPS can do. Most GPSRs receive their data via USB, so if your iPad can do USB and you have the right software on the iPad to send the data then you should be OK.

Edited by MartyBartfast

I've used a Vista HCX for several years. It can load maps, I use the free Talky Toaster maps (see other thread on here) which I find perfectly adequate. However if by 'paperless' caching you mean it will display the cache page details, hints etc then no it will not do that.

If you want paperless then this isn't the unit for you, but if you just want a good maping GPS then it's certainly worth considering.

As for the iPad question I think that's more a question about what the iPad can do rather than what the GPS can do. Most GPSRs receive their data via USB, so if your iPad can do USB and you have the right software on the iPad to send the data then you should be OK.

Thanks for your quick reply. So it means that the Vista is off my list. And the search is on again for a suitable device that I can go paperless with. Any recommendations? The market has many choices. Price has to be considered in my case.

The iPad doesn't support USB but as long as your PC can load caches onto your GPS you should be fine. Yes an all in one unit is nice but you could always use the iPad along with one of the many caching apps to store offline PQ's or even access the online database if you have a 3G/wifi signal. The large screen lends itself well to viewing cache pages although of course it is more delicate than most GPSrs so you would need to be careful with it.

I have an Etrex HC (also a PDA with bluetooth gps) and would simply (if I could convince the wife) jump to an Etrex 30.

(90%) for Paperless,(5%) for the Compass and (5%) for the Altimeter.

The button functions, size and weight are similar, having a bigger unit or with aerials sticking out and touch screens don't do it for me.

I know its a whole can of worms compass/no compass, same with the altimeter, but I find on occasions the compass useful and saves doing the geocachers dance and the altimeter helps (or is just nice) to know your height when abroad amongst the mountains (not needed here in the New Forest).

The extra cost (@£30) between the Etrex 20 and 30 spread over a few years of use doesn't (to me) amount to much against the other costs of geocaching, far less a good curry and a few pints.

The iPad doesn't support USB but as long as your PC can load caches onto your GPS you should be fine. Yes an all in one unit is nice but you could always use the iPad along with one of the many caching apps to store offline PQ's or even access the online database if you have a 3G/wifi signal. The large screen lends itself well to viewing cache pages although of course it is more delicate than most GPSrs so you would need to be careful with it.

Hello Hornet. (Brian?)Long time no meet. And it was your turn to buy the beer. Yes there is an addon for the iPad that allows one to plug in USB and SD cards. (got one).

As for taking the iPad caching... I don't think so. Plus I don't have 3G on mine.

Still open for options.

I have an Etrex HC (also a PDA with bluetooth gps) and would simply (if I could convince the wife) jump to an Etrex 30.

(90%) for Paperless,(5%) for the Compass and (5%) for the Altimeter.

I did once try a Ipaq and Bluetooth RX with the maps ect, but 1. It was too fiddely. 2. Difficult to see in sunlight.

I suppose a compass is an option as I always carry one in my bag. Altimeter, not needed.

I will look at the Etrex 30 as an option.

Cost... I am spending the kids inheritance on other things so that is not really an option.

When you do decide what you want you'll obviously be looking around for a good deal. I've previously bought from www.handtech.co.uk and at the time found them to be the cheapest and the service was good, however there's also www.gooutdoors.co.uk who have a scheme whereby if you buy their 'discount card' for £5 they will guarantee to beat any price by 10%, so should end up even cheaper than handtec (or anyone else for that matter), I've never bought from gooutdoors but others on here have and have said good things about them.

Hello Hornet. (Brian?)Long time no meet. And it was your turn to buy the beer. Yes there is an addon for the iPad that allows one to plug in USB and SD cards. (got one).

As for taking the iPad caching... I don't think so. Plus I don't have 3G on mine.

Still open for options.

Peter actually, but no worries. My turn to buy the beer?? Surely not..... :rolleyes::blink:

Interesting sounding addon, I must check it out.

Still open for options.

Peter actually, but no worries. My turn to buy the beer?? Surely not..... :rolleyes::blink:

Interesting sounding addon, I must check it out.

Ah Brian was the other one. Here you go it is one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-1-CAMERA-CONNECTION-KIT-CARD-READER-IPAD-2-3-SD-TF-USB-/270955953301?pt=UK_iPad_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item3f163bbc95

When you do decide what you want you'll obviously be looking around for a good deal. I've previously bought from www.handtech.co.uk and at the time found them to be the cheapest and the service was good, however there's also www.gooutdoors.co.uk who have a scheme whereby if you buy their 'discount card' for £5 they will guarantee to beat any price by 10%, so should end up even cheaper than handtec (or anyone else for that matter), I've never bought from gooutdoors but others on here have and have said good things about them.

£131.94 incl post from Amazon. That was the best I found so I have ordered it. Plus I already had an account at Amazon.

I should get it in a couple of days. So stand by for questions. :o

I have had a play with it and already loaded a few caches. When I unpacked the box I Lund that there was no lanyard which I thought that there should be. No big deal though, as I had a spare that I "borrowed" from another device.

I need to get some maps on it now. This is my next job. Any advice on what free ones?

I have also found a 2gig memory card that I have installed in the etrex.

For help loading caches/Pocket Queries to the device have a look at my resource site page on Paperless Caching. If you scroll down to the bottom there's a link to a 'How to' document which explains it in details (and simply too!).

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

OK guys. I am downloading the maps from "talkytoaster" at the present time. 63% done and 21 minutes to go. Even with my super fast fibre broadband it is slow at the other end. :(

Graculus. I have read that paperless caching in the past. Most helpful.

And another thing. I can't calibrate the compass (do I need to?). When I follow the instructions and go compass, menu, there is no calibrate in the menu.

Good fun.

Take a look here on my resource site at GPS features. Explains the different types of compass they have. The eTrex 20 has a GPS compass which means it uses the satellite signal to determine bearings. Means you have to be moving for it to work. If you stop the needle will 'freeze'. It's the same as the yellow eTrex. So when you get close to a cache keep walking past it and watch the needle swing. Then walk back the other way and the two indications should give you an idea of where the GPS thinks the cache is.

The comparison table at the bottom of the page shows they different GPS's and the compasses they use.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Edited by Graculus

I have an etrex vista hcx I use it for geocaching.I download gc cache no`s from the geo web site but the location always comes up as st grid refs not in degree`s thats ok for single caches but for multi caches I cant type in the next set of coordinates for degrees it stays as st grid refs, can any one give me any suggestions. Thanks Tom.

I have an etrex vista hcx I use it for geocaching.I download gc cache no`s from the geo web site but the location always comes up as st grid refs not in degree`s thats ok for single caches but for multi caches I cant type in the next set of coordinates for degrees it stays as st grid refs, can any one give me any suggestions. Thanks Tom.

From the main menu:

click Setup

on the next menu

click Units

In the Position format field (at the top) select hddd mm.mmm

In the Datum filed (second down) choose WGS84

That should do it.

Edit to add: Note that all the coords will then be displayed as degrees & minutes and not OS grid refs.

Edited by MartyBartfast

From the main menu:

click Setup

on the next menu

click Units

That should do it.

Edit to add: Note that all the coords will then be displayed as degrees & minutes and not OS grid refs.

From the main menu:

click Setup

on the next menu

click Units

That should do it.

From the main menu:

click Setup

on the next menu

click Units

That should do it.

Dear Marty have just reset etrex and now all is fine, thanks for the info.