What to expect?

ColoradoTrekker

I am wondering if some of you who have been to previous Geocoinfests would be willing to share your experiences with me. I have never been to a Geocoinfest, but will be attending this year as it is so close to home. Are these events like any other geocaching event, but on a larger scale? Or are there differences due to the focus on geocoins? m I going to be missing out on anything because I don't have many geocoins in my collection yet?

I'd be interested in hearing just about anything that you are willing to share!

expect to meet some of the people that frequent the geocoin forum, some fun gatherings, view some coins unveiled at the geocoinfest, get a chance to view some wonderful coin collections, and basically have a great time. my first geocoinfest was in pittsburgh, pa...i had just received my first personal geocoins, and got to meet and trade with a lot of the "big names" in the geocoin forum (although being a newbie, i had no idea that trading for a yemon/yime V0 or a tsun personal geocoin should be exciting.)

because the drive would be kind of long for me and my dogs, i will not be attending geocoinfest, so look for a trader or 2 for me!

ILYK

You'll have a great time :) Last year was my first and like you I had no idea of what to expect. I would suggest if you can to pick up an extra coin or two before, trading is just a ball of fun. But even if you don't, on the day of there will be tons of coins to choose from and some very informative talk and well great people to just be with. There will be caching as well and please do attend all the events, that is were you meet and talk caching and coins till the wee hours of the morning.

I would love to attend and I haven't ruled it out, so if you do see an attend from me make sure to stop by and say hello.

expect to meet some of the people that frequent the geocoin forum, some fun gatherings, view some coins unveiled at the geocoinfest, get a chance to view some wonderful coin collections, and basically have a great time. my first geocoinfest was in pittsburgh, pa...i had just received my first personal geocoins, and got to meet and trade with a lot of the "big names" in the geocoin forum (although being a newbie, i had no idea that trading for a yemon/yime V0 or a tsun personal geocoin should be exciting.)

because the drive would be kind of long for me and my dogs, i will not be attending geocoinfest, so look for a trader or 2 for me!

ILYK

Keep me posted on what you might want...we're going!

I am wondering if some of you who have been to previous Geocoinfests would be willing to share your experiences with me. I have never been to a Geocoinfest, but will be attending this year as it is so close to home. Are these events like any other geocaching event, but on a larger scale? Or are there differences due to the focus on geocoins? m I going to be missing out on anything because I don't have many geocoins in my collection yet?

I'd be interested in hearing just about anything that you are willing to share!

Wow, where do I start? I think what impressed me most (aside from meeting so many coin legends in one place) was the sense of camaraderie of interest. Learning the stories behind the stories of some of these coins is priceless, too. There are so many coins that I was sure I knew all there was to know about and suddenly I hear a whole other side to them. Where comfortable shoes, too. You'll walk miles inside a small space as collections move about, conversations move about and people come and go repeatedly. Take a pad and pen, you'll want to jot down the names of coins you see and will want to trade for later. Get some coins to take for trading. Coin traders will often throw you a bone and trade a much harder to get coin for whatever you have on hand just in the effort to include you in the fun, share stories and passion for these treasures. Don't, don't, don't be afraid to introduce yourself and ask questions!!! There's so much to learn, so many people to meet and so little time to do it in that you can't afford to let the opportunity pass by to say hello and ask a question. Bring a camera!!! You'll have so many chances to Discover geocoins and so little time to write them down that a small digital cam can save you a lot of time recording tracking codes and you'll enjoy seeing these treasures again later at home. You definitely won't be missing out if you don't have coins to trade though. When you see everything there you'll be introduced to a really amazing facet of geocaching and maybe gain a better understanding of what drives so many of us to collect, trade and share these treasures. :)

ILYK

Keep me posted on what you might want...we're going!

I need a couple of Nerds. Just a few. :lol:

Make sure to attend the event the night before, that's a great way to meet avid coiners and get a feel for things.

My first GCF was in PA, I found it overwhelming just because I'm not big on crowds but I got to meet some of the big guns of the geocoin world :)

The part I find most amusing is watching people try to decide what to buy and fondling coins like precious treasure.

You'll have fun and you will probably buy more than you should, almost everyone does ;)

See you there.

tsun