Should Fire Dept Museum be a virtual cache?

HappyFrog (& gang)

I can understand the disappointment of having a virtual denied by the admins.

The problem here is that as currently described this doesn't really meet the guidelines. If the museum (building) is the cache then where is the GPS used in the search. I can look up the address of the museum in the phone book and drive there.

You may try using an exhibit at the museum - maybe an old firetruck - where I would have to use my GPSr to find it. If everything in indoors, you may not be able to find something that works. I recently did a virtual that was at a Japanese garden in the San Fernando Valley. It was actually a virtual multi-cache where I had to find 3 different locations within the garden and answer a question about each of these locations.

Another option would be to use an offset to a traditional cache near the museum. I would still have to go to the museum and locate some information there to get the coordinates of the traditional cache.

Try working with the admin for suggestions on how to get the cache approved. Clearly, just because someone opened a museum or place an historical marker does not mean the location is a virtual cache. It needs "something" to turn it into a acceptable cache. Unfortunately, the guidelines are only an attemp at defining that "something"

東西南北

Why do I always find it in the last place I look?

Just returned from a couple week caching, mostly Idaho and Utah and points between there and the Chicago area.

A lot of virtual caches that seemed to be set up by local chambers of commerce to pull you into town. Some sorta seemed to be 'cache spam'. Then again I'm sure most were just a case of civic pride gone wacko.

Also a lot of caches that seemd to promote or direct you to a specific business.

Got better as the weeks went along deciphering this from previous logs.

Yes, I'm sure we have some of those here in the Chicago area too. Just happened to notice it a lot while travelling.

Originally posted by tozainamboku:

The problem here is that as currently described this doesn't really meet the guidelines. If the museum (building) is the cache then where is the GPS used in the search. I can look up the address of the museum in the phone book and drive there.

This museum doesn't happen to be in the phonebook, I found it by running across it one day and I was even surprised that it was there.

HappyFrog