Very Old cache with No CO anymore

dronnord

How do I take over a Cache that is active but has no owner any longer?

The owner setup the cache in 2005 and hasn`t been onsite at GC since 2007. The cache needs major maintenance. I would like to take it over.

The cache owner needs to initiate the adoption process.

Help Center → Geocaching → Caches in General

3.3. Adopting or Transferring a Cache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=54

B.

Try contacting the cache owner directly to inquire about adopting the cache from them. If you get no reply, post a NM log. If no action is taken in a few weeks, post a NA (Needs Archived) log stating your reasons (maintenance not being done, inactive/unresponsive CO). Hopefully then you can get the reviewer to archive it, freeing up the space so you can place a new cache there. NOTE: This won't be the same as adoption, so all the cache history, logs, etc will remain with the archived cache. You will be placing a new cache, with a new GC number, in the same location. Previous finders of the original cache may return and log it as a new find.

Thanks be to all that replied to this query. I am trying to contact the owner to adopt. I do not want to actually place a new cache as the age of the cache is why I want to keep it enabled. I will just remove the ruined container and place an ammo can and go on about my merry way. <_<

The owner setup the cache in 2005 and hasn`t been onsite at GC since 2007. The cache needs major maintenance. I would like to take it over.

Sorry, but 2005 is not Very Old, there's no reason to keep it alive. If it was from 2000-2001 that would be a different story.

Thanks be to all that replied to this query. I am trying to contact the owner to adopt. I do not want to actually place a new cache as the age of the cache is why I want to keep it enabled. I will just remove the ruined container and place an ammo can and go on about my merry way. <_<

Allow it to die. One of my partners and I maintain an old cache but we've decided that the next time it needs major work we will let it be archived, and here's why:

We can't clear the NM attribute. We can't update the coords to move it. We can't update the listing to show a different container. We can't update the hint. We can't..... we can't....

There are many "we can't"s that it just isn't worth it, besides if the cache is archived it lets a new one be put out in the area.

Allow it to die. One of my partners and I maintain an old cache but we've decided that the next time it needs major work we will let it be archived, and here's why:

We can't clear the NM attribute. We can't update the coords to move it. We can't update the listing to show a different container. We can't update the hint. We can't..... we can't....

There are many "we can't"s that it just isn't worth it, besides if the cache is archived it lets a new one be put out in the area.

Wow! If a cache from 2005 is a very old cache, I guess that makes me a very old cacher. :blink:

Sorry, but 2005 is not Very Old, there's no reason to keep it alive. If it was from 2000-2001 that would be a different story.

Even if the listing is dated from 2000-2001 there wouldn't be a reason to keep the listing "alive". The online listing of a cache isn't the cache. It is simply a report of the caches placement.

I have a question in regard to adopting a cache. I recently contacted a CO about a cache in need of maintenance and the CO is willing to allow me to adopt it.

The question is about changing some of the cache details. In the description, the CO says his GPS signal was weak so he placed the cache and basically gives the location away in the hint section because of the inaccurate coordinates.

Since I'm going to take this one over is it okay for me to change this information? If allowed I'd like to try and acquire more accurate coordinates and change the hint. It's a good hide but the hint completely removes any need for searching.

What do you all think? I searched the forum but didn't see a situation like this. Thanks

I have a question in regard to adopting a cache. I recently contacted a CO about a cache in need of maintenance and the CO is willing to allow me to adopt it.

The question is about changing some of the cache details. In the description, the CO says his GPS signal was weak so he placed the cache and basically gives the location away in the hint section because of the inaccurate coordinates.

Since I'm going to take this one over is it okay for me to change this information? If allowed I'd like to try and acquire more accurate coordinates and change the hint. It's a good hide but the hint completely removes any need for searching.

What do you all think? I searched the forum but didn't see a situation like this. Thanks

Once the adoption has been completed, and you are the owner of the cache and its listing, you can change anything and everything on the cache page if you want. The only thing you won't be able to change is the cache type.

Take a look at this section in the Help Center, titled "6. Cache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship":

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=38

You can also change what it lists as the cache owner.

Once you have access to the cache listing as its owner, you will see on the right-hand side an area that says "Edit Listing". It's the fourth option down, after "Log your visit", "View Gallery", "Watch Listing".

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

One of the caches that I adopted had a very long hint that was a riddle. The solution to the riddle told you where to park. People were getting mad because they were spending fifteen minutes trail side decrypting the hint, then solving the riddle, only to be told where they had parked their car. It was the first thing I changed when I got control of the listing.

One of the caches that I adopted had a very long hint that was a riddle. The solution to the riddle told you where to park. People were getting mad because they were spending fifteen minutes trail side decrypting the hint, then solving the riddle, only to be told where they had parked their car. It was the first thing I changed when I got control of the listing.

You altered part of the history of the cache. I thought people adopted caches to keep the history alive.

You altered part of the history of the cache. I thought people adopted caches to keep the history alive.

People adopt caches for a variety of reasons.

Cache owners can (and have) changed:

--the cache name

--the cache size

--the cache page

--the clue(s)

--the location

--the container

--D/T ratings

--log history by deleting logs

So, what part of a cache listing is vital to the cache "history"?

A crappy, useless hint is not part of the "history" of a cache.

B.

I was going to +1 as 2005 isn't considered old in most areas. But a quick PQ based on the CO's first hide as center point showed only 12 active caches from 2005. Still, if the CO isn't active you are just extending the life of a cache that is doomed.

--the cache name

--the cache size

--the cache page

--the clue(s)

--the location

--the container

--D/T ratings

B.

If you've read my posts in the forums on cache adoption you'll see that I feel that people are far to quick to adopt cache listings and that my personal preference, in most cases, the cache listing to be archived and a new listing to be published. I'm asking questions and trying to understand why people think they need to adopt a cache listing to keep a physical cache "alive".

--the cache name

--the cache size

--the cache page

--the clue(s)

--the location

--the container

--D/T ratings

B.

If you've read my posts in the forums on cache adoption you'll see that I feel that people are far to quick to adopt cache listings and that my personal preference, in most cases, the cache listing to be archived and a new listing to be published. I'm asking questions and trying to understand why people think they need to adopt a cache listing to keep a physical cache "alive".

Well. much like our President, my opinion on the subject has evolved over time. I can't see a situation now where I would want to adopt a cache, except maybe as a favor to a friend.

In this case, the cache was basically abandoned and the CO had not signed in for years. Other people were placing poor containers in the wrong location in an attempt to help. The cache page was not getting updated properly. The location is a spot overlooking our Valley that I have been hiking to since I was a teen. When I discovered Geocaching, it was the first place that I though of for placing a cache. This and another cache had been placed before Groundspeak became very strict about enforcing proximity guidelines. They are technically to close to each other. If it were archived, a new one would not likely get approved. Groundspeak was in the phase where they were transferring caches from unresponsive cache owners, so I took advantage of that.

Yeah! I found that prety funny. I've got four active caches from 2004. It took me a bit aback when someone logged one of them and said: "One of the oldest ones in the area."

I have 5 still active from 2003 ... never thought of them as old, but I suppose I should keep them active.