The current most favorited cache you have found

by far the puzzle cache Necropolis of Brittania Manor III, In Austin Texas with 224 favorites http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0bd88942-31d9-4ecb-b230-2ef84af70b11

Lord British aka Richard Garriott is the proprietor check out this video:

http://www.notaboutthenumbers.com/2011/11/09/for-sale-multi-millionaire-geocachers-home/

Edited by Untied_ShoeLaces

Just a guess, because I'm far to lazy to do anything approaching research on this, but I'll throw out GC30CB - Sounds of the Bay It's a pretty good one and well worth flying half-way around the world for. (Assuming it's actually there, which it often is, when not having been muggled as it might have done again.)

I'll likely be out in California in July but I think I won't get any closer to the coast than Red Bluff.

Do you realize how much it costs and how long it takes to fly half way around the world? I'll be flying nearly half way around the world next month. Although it can be done in around 20 hours, I'll be leaving home around 11:00AM on a Friday and won't get to my final destination until Sunday at 8:00PM. I booked my tickets awhile ago with an itinerary that had a long overnight layover (in Zurich) between two 9 hour flights. If I booked today it would cost around $2000 r/t. Seems like a lot of time and money to spend just to find a cache. There are a couple of caches close to where I'm staying (the closest is 7837 miles from home) but I doubt that I'll have time to get them.

my three most favorited caches are the triad (yes, including hte archived one) so my next one would be

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ecf794a6-4a19-4de9-b48a-1dc28e3c344f

Dr Who in Oregon

I was only 20 miles away from the new Dr Who in Idaho which would have given me the trifecta Dr Who but we needed to make up some time so I had to surrender going further south.

Just a guess, because I'm far to lazy to do anything approaching research on this, but I'll throw out GC30CB - Sounds of the Bay It's a pretty good one and well worth flying half-way around the world for. (Assuming it's actually there, which it often is, when not having been muggled as it might have done again.)

It was better before they spruced it up and put ramps in. I have revisited it many times since my first visit in 2003. I even replaced it once.

my three most favorited caches are the triad (yes, including hte archived one) so my next one would be

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ecf794a6-4a19-4de9-b48a-1dc28e3c344f

Dr Who in Oregon

I was only 20 miles away from the new Dr Who in Idaho which would have given me the trifecta Dr Who but we needed to make up some time so I had to surrender going further south.

That is in my top 5 favorite caches. I'm so glad no one spoiled it for me.

I did it right after the Original Stash and on my way to Groundspeak HQ completing the triad the next morning at the APE cache in 23 hours. What an adventure!

It was better before they spruced it up and put ramps in. I have revisited it many times since my first visit in 2003. I even replaced it once.

you might have to again...

last log

Didn't find it

05/09/2012

Seems to be robbed. Just a small plastic bag remained.

If I click to rank the caches I've found by favorite points, the first 2 pages are mostly virts, many of them in Washington D.C.

Of the Washington virts, the only one that really showed me something special, something that you would probably miss doing the usual round of visiting the Mall area was, Last stop for a weary traveler, http://coord.info/GCK12J

Many of other mall virts have a lot of favorite points, but don't seem to add anything to the visit beyond the smiley.

After that there isn't a cache until page 3 of favorites that I'd really recommend. People tend to favorite virts, old caches, moving caches, whether there's much going on beyond their age and "special" status - virt / moving/ year 2000.

Didn't think it was, but the most favorited cache I've found is Table Rock Earthcache which is basically just Niagara Falls listed as an Earthcache. I mean it might be highly cool for most of the world, but the cache page tells me it's 13.1 miles from my home coordinates. I might have already seen it once or 2,000,000 times. :lol:

EDIT: P.S. 241 Favorites as of today, and I myself have not favorited it.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

you might have to again...

last log

Didn't find it

05/09/2012

Seems to be robbed. Just a small plastic bag remained.

I only get to the Bay Area about once a year on average. This year is out and I don't think my aim is that good from Texas to use my slingshot. :anibad:

some old caches are nice spots too...three examples GC17, GCD and GC5C I might favorite because of the spots. Not sure I would favorite GC12, GC16 or GC79 for 3 other examples on caches I'd probably not have favorited if not so old.

Most of what he said

Without a shred of a doubt this is my favorite physical cache:

Necropolis of Britannia Manor III

Hidden by the really cool gazillionaire game developer and casual aquanaut/abyssal-cacher/astronaut/astro-cacher extraordinaire and personal friend to the gc.com founders....and from what I hear just a regular guy in person, Richard Garriott aka Lord British.

If you consider the resources it took and what his free time must be worth in dollars, Necropolis is easily worth 50k to 100k and that is all things considered. Sure he had help, but what a result! 224 Favorites so far! Just awesome!

Take a gander at the gallery...

0255fd7f-6ca8-4f1e-a4ec-3cb1e539359d.jpg

Caches that I've found with the most favorite points: 8 with over 100 favorite points:

374 Last Stop for a Weary Traveler

206 The Empire Strikes Back

154 Bridges & Arches of Central Park

148 What in the World

146 Snug as a Bug in Central Park

126 The Summer House

111 Tristate Marker

108 Florida GEOCAC Benchmark Project

5 Virtuals 2 Traditional, and 1 Multi!

Best I've gotten is 59 for the Mount Washington Webcam

There are a lot of good ones. But there was this one that stick out for me. No not the plaque or Ape because though they were historical and different. This gave me AWWWWW moment.

Because I felt like I conquered my fear for just that day, and with the help from Frisbee'r he not only got me to do it but I was able to get this off my bucket list.

Ring of Fire http://coord.info/GCJYHZ

What cache out there is the most popular that has not been archived.

Your question above does not match with the question in the title line of the thread.

Moreover, I wonder how you define most popular/most favorited?

The cache with the largest number of favorite points I found is this one

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=144f2b69-58b6-4052-9c53-a2f9613d5dfb

but it has only a about 7% percentage of favorites among PMs (236 favourites, but 6692 finds, a number which goes up nearly each day).

Examples for caches with many favourite points, but also a high favourite percentage are (I have heard about the caches from friends, but have not been there)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=cd112298-11e8-4688-bdb0-d264751849c4

(1415 favourite points, 3365 finds, 59% favourites/premium members)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b8e6da1d-f590-41d5-85a6-1bf221f24eae

(976 favourite points, 1617 finds, 75% favorites/premium members)

There are other comparable examples as well.

Cezanne

some old caches are nice spots too...three examples GC17, GCD and GC5C I might favorite because of the spots. Not sure I would favorite GC12, GC16 or GC79 for 3 other examples on caches I'd probably not have favorited if not so old.

The Spot (GC39) is also in a really nice spot and I was totally surprised to discover that it actually has quite a few more favorite points (214) than all but one of the caches you listed (Iron Horse is the exception).

You've asked 2 different questions:

"The current most favorited cache you have found":

GC79 - Iron Horse - 242 points

"What cache out there is the most popular that has not been archived.":

By just raw points: GC11JM6 - Geist des Hagen - 1415 points

By ratio of points to premium member finds: GC3CR0B - Ein Trojaner in Giesem?!? - ratio of 90% with 152 points

I'm not sure how to query that - does anyone know?

View your profile. Click on the Geocaches tab. Click on "All Geocache Finds". Click the blue favorite ribbon in the results header to sort by favorite points.

Ahh - thanks!

I was way off. The one I've found with the most Fav points not archived is Heart of Paris with 154.

Followed by Butterfly Garden @ Changi Airport T3 Transit with 112. Then a couple with 109.

My "most favorited" finds are similar to those discussed above; of the six finds with 100+ favorite points, 3 are "oldest cache in a state" (NC, GA, and AZ), 2 are virtuals (Key West's "Southern Most" marker and Clingman's Dome observation tower in the Smokies) and only one is anything different, the afore-mentioned "Bridges and Arches of Central Park" (with 154 favorite points and a truly excellent cache).

Edited by slackpacker

I'm not sure how the OP wanted this to go, but I'm answering according to the title of the thread, as the subtitle seems to be a different question.

The most favorited cache that we have found is

GC384 Bending Tree

24 favorite points and 58 images posted.

Next most favorited, non-archived cache we have found is the Virtual:

GC691C North to Freedom

23 favorite points and 213 images.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Most "favorite" cache I have found:

Niagara Falls Virtual. 210 Favorite points. Won't do you much good if you're not going to be in the vicinity anytime soon. Have you tried looking for most favorites near you, or are you just curious about popular caches?

Most "favorite" non-virtual, since virtual caches are a grandfathered type:

Officers Scenic Cache. An older cache (2001), and atypical for its general situation. Nice view too.

Didn't know there was another way of working this out!

Top 5 I've found are:

40: Saving Private Ryan (Virtual - GCHF67 - Archived)

39: Pull Your Boots On (Quirty themed cache container - GC17BGJ)

26: Curio Bay Earthcache ( Earthcache in petrified forest with live penguins in area - GCMRG5)

23: HUKA FALLS (Earthcache - GC1QC2W - Archived)

22: Basket of Dreams (Long trek up a hill to a unique piece of artwork and a gorgeous view - GC12559)

Interesting to note that only 1 of my top 20 is because of the cache itself, rather where it takes cacher to.

I am blessed to have been able to travel around the USA finding caches with lots of favorite points. Before the advent of favorites, I called them "destination caches" -- caches to plan a trip around.

I've found the "Triad" (Original Stash, Groundspeak HQ (3 locations), and APE), plus the faves near those (GCD, Iron Horse, Un-Original Stash, etc.). I've found View Carre during a trip to New Orleans a few weeks ago. I've found the DC Mall Virts and the Vegas Strip Virts. But there are two others on my first few pages of finds sorted by favorite points, which haven't been mentioned yet:

A Special Memory (295 FP) - go to the drive-through window at this Vegas Wedding Chapel and ask them for the ammo box. My friend and I staged a pretend wedding inside the chapel! Other geocachers have married there for real, renewed their vows, etc. The logs are great reading.

Thousand Steps Cache (163 FP) - the most favorited cache in Pennsylvania. My daughter and I found it as our 100th cache back in 2002. Kid asked me "why don't we save this for our 1000th find?" and I said "that's crazy - nobody can find 1000 caches." Stoneworkers carved a thousand steps into the side of a mountain so they could walk to work each day in the quarries at the top of the mountain.

Interesting to note that only 1 of my top 20 is because of the cache itself, rather where it takes cacher to.

Actually, I prefer caches that get many favourites due to their location and not due to the cache itself. In German speaking countries many of the caches with many favourite points obtain the points due to the hideouts and container constructions and that ends up typically with caches which rather would find a place on my personal anti favourite list. I know quite a number of examples where a high number of favourites needs to be interpreted that I will not like the cache at all.

Cezanne

Actually, I prefer caches that get many favourites due to their location and not due to the cache itself.

A good example of this is a cache that has the third highest number of favorites of all the caches I have found. That would be the COLOSSEUM cache in Rome. The cache itself is a film container, but a *lot* of people visit the Colosseum and it's quite impressive. The cache also has the most finds of any other cache in Italy and the container is used as example of a micro on the geocaching wikipedia page. A spectacular location doesn't not necessarily lead to a high favorite number. The Victoria Falls cache in Zimbabwe only has 13 favorite points, but even though Victoria Falls is on pretty much every Natural Wonders of the World list I've seen, it doesn't get visited nearly as often as the Colosseum and only has 203 finds since 2003.

Actually, I prefer caches that get many favourites due to their location and not due to the cache itself.

Me three. If I look at my first page, i.e. top 20, 15 are because of the location, and that works for me. Includes 2 virtuals "just because they're virtuals" in Disney World, although some could argue they could be filed under location. I do have 3 "just because they're old", including a 2000 placed cache that is totally ordinary (less than .20 miles from parking sitting in a multi-trunked tree). I have not favorited that myself. Per NYPC's earlier post, I have not included GC39 The Spot with those, as that is an outstanding location, in addition to being one of the top 10 oldest active caches.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Sorting our finds by favorites, here's the top five:

1,417 favorites: Geist des Hagen

769 favorites: Mission 9: Tunnel of Light

747 favorites: First Germany

653 favorites: Schatz des Hagen

609 favorites: VIEW CARRE '

Surprisingly, not a virtual in the bunch, though some do sneak into the #6, #8, and #9 slots, and there are seven more in the rest of the top twenty.

Of the top five favorited caches I've found, I would definitely list Geist des Hagen and VIEW CARRE ' among my personal favorites. Geist des Hagen's location wasn't remarkable, just a nice patch of woods, but the setup for the cache was outstanding. VIEW CARRE ' is an experience unto itself, but I think location plays more into it than the hide. (No offense to Bamboozle, who is a great tour guide and certainly deserves some favorite points just because of the continuous effort he pouts into this cache.)

The other three were enjoyable caches, don't get me wrong, but they obviously got favorite points because of something other than the hide or the location. Mission 9 was the last North American A.P.E. cache, First Germany should be self explanatory (oldest cache in Germany), and Schatz des Hagen bootstraps its popularity from being the bonus cache to Geist des Hagen.

The other three were enjoyable caches, don't get me wrong, but they obviously got favorite points because of something other than the hide or the location. Mission 9 was the last North American A.P.E. cache...

Yep, the primary reason Mission 9 has so many points is because of the cache type. If you take away the APE icon, it was a large ammo can stuffed in a pile of rubble under some powerlines on the side of a rail-trail. True, it did have a decent view and it would get a bunch of points, but not that many.

I think some caches get favorite points just due to the sheer volume of visits....I can think of a couple in the French Quarter that are fairly unremarkable (basic urban micros) that have 60, 70, 80 Favorite points. But they've had probably thousands of logs. I guess it's a location thing too...nothing particularly awesome about them (sorry, that's an Opencaching criteria :) ) but they ARE in the French Quarter after all....the experience of visiting the French Quarter is the real attraction.

Edited by Chief301

Oh, and to the folks who aren't sure how to figure this out, it's easy, you don't need GSAK:

- Click on the "Geocaches" tab

- Click on the link for "All Geocache Finds"

- Click on the blue ribbon at the top of the list (in the same bar as "Description," "Info," etc.

And there you have it, all your finds sorted by how many favorite points they have.

Oh, and to the folks who aren't sure how to figure this out, it's easy, you don't need GSAK:

- Click on the "Geocaches" tab

- Click on the link for "All Geocache Finds"

- Click on the blue ribbon at the top of the list (in the same bar as "Description," "Info," etc.

And there you have it, all your finds sorted by how many favorite points they have.

Looking over the top 20 a few things stand out.

7 out of the top 10 are virtuals.

3 out of the 8 traditional caches in the top 20 are old caches (each the oldest in it's State)

Only 2 out the 20 is in my home state (and only 1 within 100 miles)

6 different countries are represented

All three of the caches I found in China are in the top 20