No longer a cache.

Jenhull8888

There are two really cool hiding spots just up the street from my house. Neither have been found in over 2 years. I hid my first cache today and would like to take these two over, however i think the owner has "retired" from geocaching. here is a link to one of them. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2f7b87f3-aefa-4bb4-84e1-0c619a56d0dd

I see that you mean only DNFs have been posted in over two years. In this case, I would log a Needs Archived. Get your cache page ready, but don't enable it, so when the cache is archived, you have a chance at that spot. Two years is a very long time for an issue like this. Just to be clear, though: just because a cache hasn't been found doesn't mean it should be archived. Sometimes a tricky cache is just that! However, it appears in this case that the owner has not checked on the cache or posted any information regarding the DNFs.

There are two really cool hiding spots just up the street from my house. Neither have been found in over 2 years. I hid my first cache today and would like to take these two over, however i think the owner has "retired" from geocaching. here is a link to one of them. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2f7b87f3-aefa-4bb4-84e1-0c619a56d0dd

For you to adopt those caches, the owner has to initiate the process. Unfortunately, since they aren't maintaining their caches or responding to reviewers, it's unlikely you'll get any response if you contact them. You can still give it a shot, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If it's the spots you like, and not necessarily the caches, you can hide your own caches once the existing ones get archived. You've certainly done the right thing logging a "Needs archive" on that cache. That will alert reviewers to the problems with this cache, and they'll likely be archiving it soon. Be ready to jump on the spot when it does get archived.

The cache owner has logged in relatively recently (28 March 2012).

The other cache has had a recent "needs archived" posted to it, with no action apparently.

It sounds like the actual containers are long gone, so there's nothing to adopt, even if the owner was willing to do that.

Put the caches on your watchlist, and be patient. Maybe new cache submissions might speed up the archival of the old ones.

Of course, your new submissions will need to go through the review process.

B.

The archive log was posted on 4th and nothing been done. :laughing:

Most reviewers give 30 days for a "needs maintenance/needs archive" log to be attended to by the CO.

They'll usually post a "last chance" reviewer note, like this one: GL7TQW2B. No one has posted one of these to the cache in question, which leads me to believe that reviewers haven't looked at it yet. The reviewers may do things differently there, though.

The archive log was posted on 4th and nothing been done. :laughing:

Most reviewers give 30 days for a "needs maintenance/needs archive" log to be attended to by the CO.

They'll usually post a "last chance" reviewer note, like this one: GL7TQW2B. No one has posted one of these to the cache in question, which leads me to believe that reviewers haven't looked at it yet. The reviewers may do things differently there, though.

I'm always surprised that active cache owners don't contact the reviewer after receiving that notice.

I've seen so many caches get archived because the CO doesn't respond to the reviewer. I don't understand it.

B.

I'm always surprised that active cache owners don't contact the reviewer after receiving that notice.

I've seen so many caches get archived because the CO doesn't respond to the reviewer. I don't understand it.

B.

I've seen a few COs around here recently that allowed some of their caches to die a slow death, and then put out some new ones a few months later! Hmm, I wonder what will happen with those ones...

Based on the logs for the cache linked above, the OP has posted a 'Needs Archived' without even checking for themselves...(no DNF log). <_<

It does look like the cache might be missing, but going around posting NA on caches you have never visited would/should (I hope) not get much attention from the reviewer. This is just another reason a posted DNF is important.

( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9487acb5-2bf9-4035-a0fb-6f064760c674 )

""

Didn't find it 05/31/2011

awesome spot i drive by it all the time and never even noticed it was there sadly i couldn't find it maybe ill try again some other day ""

""

Needs Archived 05/03/2012

Not been here for a while, searched every nook and cranny of this place several times.""

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As they were part of a series and very close to each other I posted the DNF on this one. I fail to see why I needed to put dnf on all of their caches when they are not there.If I notice someone has hidden several cahces in an area I look for all of them. If I cannot find any of them I post DNF on one of them.

( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9487acb5-2bf9-4035-a0fb-6f064760c674 )

""

Didn't find it 05/31/2011

awesome spot i drive by it all the time and never even noticed it was there sadly i couldn't find it maybe ill try again some other day ""

""

Needs Archived 05/03/2012

Not been here for a while, searched every nook and cranny of this place several times.""

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As they were part of a series and very close to each other I posted the DNF on this one. I fail to see why I needed to put dnf on all of their caches when they are not there.If I notice someone has hidden several cahces in an area I look for all of them. If I cannot find any of them I post DNF on one of them.

No, you should post a DNF for each one that you "did not find".

Just because it's a "series" doesn't mean each cache is "missing" or "needs archived".

Posting a DNF for each one that you actually looked for and didn't find gives a more accurate history for each cache.

The reviewers aren't mind readers. They need to see a history for each cache.

B.