How do you "prepare" for a day of Waymarking

Hi All, I've been thinking about doing some Waymarking while on vacation next week. The reason I haven't done more in the past is because I find it cumbersome to load more than a few waymarks.

In my searching, I found this post from Jan 31, 2010 on the old forums.

Well it depends on if you are planning on visiting existing waymarks or if you are planning to go to locations to submit new waymarks.

If I am planning on visiting existing waymarks (which is not normally the case for me) I download multiple gpxlite files by doing a search by location on the waymarks tab. Downloading 25 waymarks at a time. I load these into GSAK by putting them all in same directory and uploading the complete directory. (If I want more information I will download complete gpx files one waymark at a time). Since most waymarks are drivable I use a Nuvi for Waymarking. I use a GSAK macro to create a POI file of the waymarks I plan on visiting and then use the POI loader. Using the multiple gpxlite files really doesn't bother me as that is how geocaching was when I started.

The method I use for going to locations for new waymarks really only changes in the source of the data. As I concentrate sites on the National Register and listed in the American Guide, I map those locations in MapPoint along with any other locations I have discovered in my research that I want to visit. Once in MapPoint I have code which will give me a list of coordinates. In the end I load these into GSAK and create a POI file for my Nuvi. When out for the day I navigate between locations using Nuvi and record location on other gps for submissions.

I have bolded the statement that interests me. I use GSAK, have a waymark DB and did a File | Export to Garmin POI. I get the GPI file and load it into the Garmin folder on my GPSMap 62S.

This does not seem to work for me. Could someone provide some advice into where I am going wrong? With GSAK creating the GPI, do I still need the loader? Is it as simple as placing the GPI file in another folder?

I also created the macro the blue quasar describes in this post with no success. And in this last post, the blue quasar talks about an updated (July 2009) custom POI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you can load the garmin gpsmap 62s directly from GSAK goto

GPS - Send waypoints. do this directly from the directory you have created for the waymarks if you also want to geocache in the same area make sure you file contains the information for your caches other wise you may end up with only the last loaded file in your gps. Another point to remember is the gps will only hold 5000 waypoints but you should already know that.

you can load the garmin gpsmap 62s directly from GSAK goto GPS - Send waypoints. do this directly from the directory you have created for the waymarks if you also want to geocache in the same area make sure you file contains the information for your caches other wise you may end up with only the last loaded file in your gps. Another point to remember is the gps will only hold 5000 waypoints but you should already know that.

Thanks, the GPSMap 62s will only hold 2000 waypoints. Sorry, I didn't mention that's why I'd like to load them as POIs, which from my understanding will not take up space for waypoints/caches.

I haven't spent a full day waymerking yet - it's catch as catch can. So I keep a daypack handy with my GPS, camera, and notebook, and just keep my eyes open for interesting stuff when I'm out & about.

I've seen some of your logs for the 'painted utility boxes', since then I've noticed a lot more popping up around town. I even saw one being painted on Macled Trail. I'll have to race you to get more published. ;)

...a list of the closest unvisited waymarks.

right, what I'm really wondering though is what's the best way to get that list. Sometimes I select all on a page from Search Results but that only gets the .loc files. I prefer to have the GPX so I get more details (as I can't remember everything about all the waymarks).

I also created the macro the blue quasar describes in this post with no success. And in this last post, the blue quasar talks about an updated (July 2009) custom POI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Strange since I still use these methods and they work flawlessly for me. I wish I knew what to tell you. One thing I do notice is that the POI directory must pre-exist for this to work. Since I use the Garmin Export macro first to load my geocaches, then send the POI file for Waymarking I don't have problems. If I wipe my GPS and then try to make a POI, it fails.

B) BQ