Geocensor?

Team Teuton

Okay, I have a question. Thursday night I attempted to post a message to the General forum that went something like this:

--------------------------------

Any other geocaching websites?

While searching these forums and the web, I have run across the following websites that are related to geocaching:

Web Site 1

Web Site 2

Web Site 3

Does anyone know of any others? Thanks...

----------------------------------

In the place of Web Site 1,2, and 3, I had the names, not links, of other popular geocaching sites.

When I clicked the 'Post Now' button, I got a message that said something like:

"Your message contained one or more trigger words, and will be queued until approved by a moderator."

Now, I can only assume that the names of the other geocaching websites were the trigger words.

So, my question is, Why is Geocaching.com doing this?

I waited more than 24 hours for the approval before posing this question. No approval yet.

[This message was edited by Aristocracker on January 17, 2003 at 10:26 PM.]

i'd imagine that, if adult spammers started hitting the forums, then those keywords would be added. my current understanding is that the only serious spam problem has come from the other geocaching sites.

or, it could all be a gigantic conspiracy.

-----

you can hear what the fish is doing...

Spamming from other sites? Hardly.

Let it be known that the different geocaching (the sport/activity) sites and geocaching.com (the site) don't necessarily see eye-to-eye.

I'd have to venture that the reason you can't post their names here is to stiffle competition.

"Everybody wants to rule the world."

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner of Team KKF2A:

Spamming from other sites? Hardly.

Let it be known that the different geocaching (the sport/activity) sites and geocaching.com (the site) don't necessarily see eye-to-eye.

I'd have to venture that the reason you can't post their names here is to stifle competition.

"Everybody wants to rule the world."

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

You're right they don't see eye to eye, but that's NOT the reason.

There was an incident last summer, where a person was upset because she was declined 2 virtual caches 50ft apart. She got mad, and posted several dozen msgs to the effect of "geocaching.com sucks, N---cache.com is better". Thats when I remember this going into effect. For your information, a quick search turns up plenty of times the site HAS been mentioned since then. It may take awhile, but if its a worthwhile msg, and not just some cheap advertising, it will get posted. The site also censors out foul language, and I have no problem with that either. Also, try and find ANY mention of geocaching.com on that other site. No mention anywhere by name, so it does work both ways.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.