Abandoned?

SaltyPirate

Okay I know this has been kind of covered in a previous topic but want to make sure I handle this correct.

So in January of 2012 this cache was published, immediately the same day the owner "Temp Disable it", saying it would be back soon. I can see the location from my house so I have it on my watch list. Last month I see that someone logs a FTF. So I go ahead and grab the find only to see that the owner still has it disabled when I go to log it. I go ahead and log the find. (not sure if that is appropriate or not but...) I have tried to contact the cache owner and I cantacted the reviewer that I would be willing to watch after it or adopt it. Of course I recieved no response from the owner and the reveiwer says he cannot do anything without owner. Here is link...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC3B44R

I would hate to see it go away as it is a very cool hide. So here is my question. If the reviewer archives it I know I can place a cache there, but my question is more related to the container and its accessories that camo it. Does the owner relinquish ownership? Can I use it for a cache there to replace it?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated as I am still a newbee.

Edited by SaltyPirate

If the cache gets archived, the owner is supposed to retrieve the cache. Technically it is still his property. If you were to reuse it, and the original CO comes back from the dead, they could just come out and get it.

If it were me, I'd make a new container, keep the old one, and email the owner that you have it if they want it.

1. Big mystery as to why it was disabled.

2. Even archived caches can be logged as found if the container is still in place and you found it.

3. The reviewer can't grant you ownership of something that is not his. Only the cache owner can 'give' you their cache.

4a. If it was such a cool location, why didn't you hide a cache there first? :P

4b. If it ends up getting archived and you want to put a cache there, take BC & MsKitty's advice and put out your own container. Save the other guy's container in case they want it back.