Flash Mob Events

Firstly how would you define geocaching? To me it is a hobby that involves the use of a gps device to search for and hopefully find a hidden container.

What is a flash mob? To me it is a group of people who arrive at a pre arranged venue at an agreed time. Materialise out of the general crowd. Perform the specified activity. Then immediately disperse into the crowd.

If you have a similar view of geocaching and flash mobs why are flash mob events organised through GC.com?

I understand why we have events so geocachers can meet other geocachers and chat about their shared interest. But flash mobs if performed as they are intended do not even give the opportunity to chat about caching.

It baffles me why groundpeak seem to encourage this type of event but do not allow events to be organise that purely involve going out geocaching. Surely this is very strange?

Firstly how would you define geocaching? To me it is a hobby that involves the use of a gps device to search for and hopefully find a hidden container.

What is a flash mob? To me it is a group of people who arrive at a pre arranged venue at an agreed time. Materialise out of the general crowd. Perform the specified activity. Then immediately disperse into the crowd.

If you have a similar view of geocaching and flash mobs why are flash mob events organised through GC.com?

I understand why we have events so geocachers can meet other geocachers and chat about their shared interest. But flash mobs if performed as they are intended do not even give the opportunity to chat about caching.

It baffles me why groundpeak seem to encourage this type of event but do not allow events to be organise that purely involve going out geocaching. Surely this is very strange?

Check this flash mob Megamob that took place in Tampere after the first Mega Event in Finland. It had a lot to do with geocaching and was great fun!

I won't bash them too much, but I don't like the idea, never did from day one, and would absolutely never attend one. And from what I'm told, very, very few of them take on the appearance of a "real" flash mob, such as is organized on Facebook or Twitter or whatever.

But they have a relatively small following, and I don't believe they're ever going to go away on this website. So I'll just continue to ignore them. And no one has posted one in my immediate area in about 3 years.

EDIT: I didn't answer the question, did I? I was around long before the first ones were ever posted, and I believe that to be a "world-wide flash mob" effort in 2008 or so. I don't know, it was proposed, possibly right here in the forums, and The Frog didn't say no.

P.S. Groundspeak, just late last year, has "beta-tested" allowing Group Caching events in Ontario, Canada for a couple months. I'm 100% confident they will be allowed.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

What is an event?

Event caches are gatherings that are organized by geocachers and are open to other geocachers.

What is a Flashmob?

A flash mob is a group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, perform an unusual and seemingly pointless act for a brief time, then disperse, often for the purposes of entertainment, satire, and artistic expression

Yes they are sometime senseless but for geocachers who don't want to spend all day at an event this is perfect. Sometimes can add some silliness to it. The last one I did was for Veteran's Day. We walked around an intersection waving flags. Afterwards we got together for greetings of new and old friends. Traded trackables and went on our way.

For some cachers who never put on an event this is a great starter. No food, no reservations, no overwhelming setups. This would help them feel more comfortable about putting on a bigger one.

What is an event?

Event caches are gatherings that are organized by geocachers and are open to other geocachers.

What is a Flashmob?

A flash mob is a group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, perform an unusual and seemingly pointless act for a brief time, then disperse, often for the purposes of entertainment, satire, and artistic expression

Yes they are sometime senseless but for geocachers who don't want to spend all day at an event this is perfect. Sometimes can add some silliness to it. The last one I did was for Veteran's Day. We walked around an intersection waving flags. Afterwards we got together for greetings of new and old friends. Traded trackables and went on our way.

For some cachers who never put on an event this is a great starter. No food, no reservations, no overwhelming setups. This would help them feel more comfortable about putting on a bigger one.

+1 The one and only flash mob ive done was a Geocache event for 2/29 at sunrise. Enjoyed the brief event and done in time for breakfast. Just like there are caches that don't appeal to everyone there are events that don't appeal to everyone If you don't like them don't go.

We had a flash mob event (GC354JM) on Veterans Day. We organized near a busy intersection and then waved flags for fifteen minutes. There were also caches put out in honor of Veterans Day. It was a lot of fun. We talked about the normal stuff we talk about at regular events. There was a cache at that location (a rock garden---ugh) that a bunch of us had not found due to the busy intersection. The flash mob gave us a chance to make the grab.

My experience with Geoflashmobs is some cachers meet up and head out caching together. It's about the same as a Coffee meet-up but briefer. Works for me. I'd hate the idea of Nomex or Hemlock standing over me with a stopwatch, ensuring people stick around my "event" for a minimum period. :ph34r:

Those of you who are in favour of flash mob events. I would love to hear what your definition of geocaching is? Then tell me how a flash mob event fits that definition. If its to allow geocachers to gather and talk about caching then it aint a flash mob as I understand them.

Really hope that they roll out the trial to allow events for cachers to meet and go caching. After all that is what we all enjoy doing. Seems mad to exclude this activity from events. When I held a launch event for a new series I had to do it by pretending it wasnt (even though it was) to just meet up and do the new series. It was a great event which was a great success. Not my view just the feedback from those attending it.

My experience with Geoflashmobs is some cachers meet up and head out caching together. It's about the same as a Coffee meet-up but briefer. Works for me. I'd hate the idea of Nomex or Hemlock standing over me with a stopwatch, ensuring people stick around my "event" for a minimum period. :ph34r:

I don't see anything wrong with flash mobs, or a bunch of geocachers meeting at a specific time and place to go out geocaching. However, does it really need to be posted as an Event, or would there actually be a fewer people showing up if they didn't get the smiley face for posting an attended log.

I don't see anything wrong with flash mobs, or a bunch of geocachers meeting at a specific time and place to go out geocaching. However, does it really need to be posted as an Event, or would there actually be a fewer people showing up if they didn't get the smiley face for posting an attended log.

In my area we often hold Unevents, which could clearly fit as an Event, but the host doesn't see a need to create yet-another event, just invite anyone who wants to show up, do so. There have been flashmobs as events, but probably far more often there are people who just agree to meet and go on a hike or 4x4 caching, without the whole Event thing on geocaching.com People still show.

We've had flash mobs here and they were lots of fun. Of course, they tend to last longer I think than the organizer intended. I would say typically 45 minutes. :D The intent has been to get everybody together for a photo on a special day, have a quick chat and then be on our way. Quite freqently, I've noticed, people hook up and go caching after.

In my area we often hold Unevents, which could clearly fit as an Event, but the host doesn't see a need to create yet-another event, just invite anyone who wants to show up, do so. There have been flashmobs as events, but probably far more often there are people who just agree to meet and go on a hike or 4x4 caching, without the whole Event thing on geocaching.com People still show.

How do you know that you have invited all geocachers that want to attend if you haven't posted it on the website as an event? I don't care about the smiley and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that most that attend our events don't care either. I see the event cache as a listing that is available to all cachers. It reaches the largest and the target audience. Its purpose is to bring cachers together to socialize.

Your definition would exclude most types of events, not just flash mob events. It also would exclude virtual caches, EarthCaches, Webcam caches, and GPS Adventure Exhibits.

Personally, I'm glad geocaching evolved to include more than just the search for hidden containers. A little variety helps make it more interesting to me.

The one I attended was hilarious and since there are so few cachers here me and friend now call it the sparkle gathering. But culturally we are 15 minute early people here. So all of us showed up 15 minutes before the designated time. So we all stood around and chatted. Signed the book. Chatted some more and then left after like half an hour. I've seen people pop in and sign the log book and leave at events to get their smiley. Some people don't feel the need to bond at length with other cachers and I think that's fine. I don't go to events with heavily scheduled events for hours. The flash mobs are good for folks like that.

So what do they have to do with caching? I suspect nothing. Please tell me if they do what it is they have in common.

Social event for geocachers where we thusly nerded out and talked caching and only caching just like most all events.

Events have no more to do with caching than virtuals, earth caches etc. If you these things don't fit your personal aesthetic then don't do them simple as that.

I won't bash them too much, but I don't like the idea, never did from day one, and would absolutely never attend one. And from what I'm told, very, very few of them take on the appearance of a "real" flash mob, such as is organized on Facebook or Twitter or whatever.

Like you, I didn't like the idea but I decided to attend one to see what it was like before committing to my decision. Basically it seemed most people hung around trying to make plans to do caching afterwards.

I consider them "the lame LPC of event caches" and don't bother with them anymore.

A 'flashmob' event (here in Arizona) usually means a very short event at a place other than a park or restaurant where you would want to stick around for a while. Despite that, most attendees do 'stick around for a while'. In the past, they were typically an additional activity' tied in with another event, but the 'event stacking' guideline has probably squashed that.

Most...and really none that I have attended lived up to the potential fun of a REAL flashmob.

Flash Mob events in Philly, are not a good idea. We had several of these last year, that were true mobs. Causing property damage and shutting down entire streets. So they are a bad idea, because of the name they have earned here.

None of these were started from this site. Mostly they started at facebook, yet to me a flash mob is something to stay away from.

[knip]

How do you know that you have invited all geocachers that want to attend if you haven't posted it on the website as an event? I don't care about the smiley and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that most that attend our events don't care either. I see the event cache as a listing that is available to all cachers. It reaches the largest and the target audience. Its purpose is to bring cachers together to socialize.

We have a website for regional cachers, free to anyone who would like to register and see what we are up to. I'm certain it is in Groundspeak's list of caching groups.

www.thegba.net

Flash Mob events in Philly, are not a good idea. We had several of these last year, that were true mobs. Causing property damage and shutting down entire streets. So they are a bad idea, because of the name they have earned here.

None of these were started from this site. Mostly they started at facebook, yet to me a flash mob is something to stay away from.

Thats everywhere. So far geocachers havent cause any problems, but local law enforcement officials get nervous when there is one popping out of nowhere. Not all of them are bad, just that there are a few bad apples that spoil the fun for the rest of us.

How do you know that you have invited all geocachers that want to attend if you haven't posted it on the website as an event?
To be honest, some of our unevents already have as many attendees as the venue can accommodate. If we listed them as events, then there wouldn't be enough room for everyone who showed up.

Like you, I didn't like the idea but I decided to attend one to see what it was like before committing to my decision. Basically it seemed most people hung around trying to make plans to do caching afterwards.

I consider them "the lame LPC of event caches" and don't bother with them anymore.

Let's see. We've had a paper airplane contest, a water pistol war, and we showed up in front of a Hawaiian restaurant dressed in Magnum PI shirts and grass skirts. I agree, showing up just to say that you showed up doesn't seem as fun as the Flash Mob events that I have attended.

Your definition would exclude most types of events, not just flash mob events. It also would exclude virtual caches, EarthCaches, Webcam caches, and GPS Adventure Exhibits.

Personally, I'm glad geocaching evolved to include more than just the search for hidden containers. A little variety helps make it more interesting to me.

Especially CITOs. I like CITOs and he would be including those too. Because has anyone used a gps to look for trash, you may find trash at a cache though.

Especially CITOs. I like CITOs and he would be including those too. Because has anyone used a gps to look for trash, you may find trash at a cache though.

<Shakes head and walks away> Clearly you dont even understand the question

There are as many ways to enjoy our game/hobby as there are geocachers. If you don't like an activity that others participate in then put it on your ignore list. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to geocach "their" way so why would you wan't to force people to do it "your" way?

I define geocaching as: 'An activity that I enjoy doing with my friends and family' so to answer your question: Yes, if I enjoyed "flashmobing" it would have everything to do with MY geocaching experience.

So what do they have to do with caching? I suspect nothing. Please tell me if they do what it is they have in common.

Because you meet at a designated set of coordinates.....

and are orginized by cachers, for cachers. Like any other event.

and trackables are traded.

there's usually some sort of logbook/logging cards to prove you were there.

I've not been to anything called a Flash Mob.

I have been to a Geocaching event which was scheduled for (and lasted) 30 minutes and was in a parking lot, and a photo was taken at the end. In those 30 minutes people talked Geocaching. I enjoyed it - met some cachers, traded some trackables. I guess there is some similarity of a very short event like this and a Flash Mob.

Actually, I remember reading about someone who did just that:

Since events are supposed to be opportunities to meet and chat, I never got the point of flash mob events.
The flash mob events I've attended have involved plenty of meeting and chatting. Some occurs shortly before the event, as people arrive and prepare to descend upon GZ at the appointed time. Some even occurs during the 15 minutes the event officially runs. A lot occurs afterwards, as people hang out in the park visiting, or choose a nearby restaurant and head off towards it.
Since events are supposed to be opportunities to meet and chat, I never got the point of flash mob events.
The flash mob events I've attended have involved plenty of meeting and chatting. Some occurs shortly before the event, as people arrive and prepare to descend upon GZ at the appointed time. Some even occurs during the 15 minutes the event officially runs. A lot occurs afterwards, as people hang out in the park visiting, or choose a nearby restaurant and head off towards it.

Quirky they are, but the earmarks of "Event" they have.

I have far less of a problem (if any at all) with Flashmob events than I do with the Monthly Coffee Chat & Chew with various D/T ratings to help people achieve the highly coveted Fizzy Challenge - Whiners Edition or simply just filling out the grid. :rolleyes:

I have hosted plenty of events that were advertised as limited...but they hardly ever end in the amount of time listed. I host a monthly 15 minute event of the lunch hour (12:15 - 12:30) and have never really left the area until about 1:30/2:00...I even arrive at about 11:30 and people are usually there waiting...

I had one last about 15 minutes...February...cold...high wind...I arrived at 11:30 to setup...saw people in their vehicles (chuckled to myself)...all stepped out at 12:15 and back to vehicles at 12:30...not because it was "time"...I guess a large number of them decided not to place quarters in parking meters and saw the parking cops arrive...I laughed then too and calmly walked to my vehicle...

<Shakes head and walks away> Clearly you dont even understand the question

Okay, I'll answer your question.

I don't know. In fact, I don't know why Groundspeak does a number of things that they do. You are correct, using Groundspeak's own definition of a geocache, an event is not a geocache, and using their definition of an event, a flash mob is not an event.

So, what can you do about it? Insulting people on the forums would be at the bottom of my list.

Since events are supposed to be opportunities to meet and chat, I never got the point of flash mob events. Don't like the idea and would never attend one. But a lot of people do seem to like them. No skin of my back.

I just see it as short version of a meet and greet. They are still cachers gather and meet up and after the Flash mob is over they can sign the log, hang around and cache or talk.

It just something different then a regular meet and greet.

I don't see the OPs problem. His question could relate to all events since you aren't required to cache or use your gps during any event.

Edited by jellis

The point is I guess you never went to a Geocaching FlashMob. What you are saying is you are only assuming is no one does or talk about geocaching at these events. You are describing regular Flashmobs.

Those of you who are in favour of flash mob events. I would love to hear what your definition of geocaching is? Then tell me how a flash mob event fits that definition. If its to allow geocachers to gather and talk about caching then it aint a flash mob as I understand them.

Really hope that they roll out the trial to allow events for cachers to meet and go caching. After all that is what we all enjoy doing. Seems mad to exclude this activity from events. When I held a launch event for a new series I had to do it by pretending it wasnt (even though it was) to just meet up and do the new series. It was a great event which was a great success. Not my view just the feedback from those attending it.

They don't disallow it, they just don't want you to make it the main event. An event is a gathering of cachers like GeoWoodstock. But to have a gathering for the sole purpose of caching is not an event. What you are trying to answer is you want to make events all about caching. That to me is not an event. That is just caching.

Added: Event caches are gatherings that are organized by geocachers and are open to other geocachers.

I am sure they mean all kinds of events where actual caching is not involved, so you can meet others, have fun and relax.

An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search. Such group hunts are best organized using a discussion forum or an email distribution list.

Edit: Thanks for admitting that in front of a bunch of reviewers and lackeys.

Edited by jellis

Since events are supposed to be opportunities to meet and chat, I never got the point of flash mob events. Don't like the idea and would never attend one. But a lot of people do seem to like them. No skin of my back.

I just see it as short version of a meet and greet. They are still cachers gather and meet up and after the Flash mob is over they can sign the log, hang around and cache or talk.

It just something different then a regular meet and greet.

I don't see the OPs problem. His question could relate to all events since you aren't required to cache or use your gps during any event.

And to some attendees an event may be a "show up, say 'Hi', sign log and leave", so it's truly up to the individual to define what they expect and get out of any event.

Oh did I forget to mention I went to a geocaching event that was a rally. We drove around looking for clues like a scavenger hunt. Afterwards we met up for another event, a Potluck where they announced the winner of the rally and also did raffle prizes. These are events because we Did Not Require caching it was only optional if you happened to be near one.

Oh did I forget to mention I went to a geocaching event that was a rally. We drove around looking for clues like a scavenger hunt. Afterwards we met up for another event, a Potluck where they announced the winner of the rally and also did raffle prizes. These are events because we Did Not Require caching it was only optional if you happened to be near one.

I'm getting the twitch.

The twitch is telling me it's been a while since my last event.

I may have to schedule a Flashmob Event to get my fix.

B)

Hmmmmmm,

I put on a flashmob 2/29/12 in Eureka, Calif

Sang Happy Birthday to the Leap Day, had cake and cupcakes, greeted some new cachers and some old cachers and met some snow-bird cachers who happened to be passing through, swapped some Geo-Tall-Tales and were gone in the twinkling of an eye.

Silly: You bet-cha.

Quick and dirty: You Bet-cha.

Had fun: You Bet-cha.

Sure would like to hear more from Mr. Yuck (TWU) about the Ontario experiment with group caching.

Edited by humboldt flier