etrex 20/30 keylock

Major annoyance when out and about with my eTrex. Since the clickstick only needs a press and hold to create a waypoint, tucking it into a jacket pocket will make the unit produce lots and lots of dud waypoints.

I understand there is no keylock, but is there any workaround other than using a hardcase, such as a screen mode where the unit does not respond to the clickstick?

For me it was more of a problem with battery drain . If I had the backlight set on a timeout, just a touch of the stick would turn it on. I now try to leave the backlight set to OFF. Like I said before , I would like the backlight to be controlled by the dedicated backlight button only - if I wanted in settings. The screen is good enough that I almost never need the backlight and my batt life doubles without it.

As the weather warms up here in Seattle... I don't wear a jacket as much so I'm starting to think again how to carry it. Because I want it in my pocket I'm thinking a case is the only answer. ( one that would cover the joystick, and also not add much bulk to it as its almost to big to pocket now )

sussamb - The reason the prior etrexes weren't as prone to the problem is that the joystick isn't as protruding. I was never frustrated about this on my Legend Classic. It did many miles.

If anyone at garmin reads this... a brief touch of Light+Menu simultaneously would be an excellent keylock on/off!

Yeah, that'd be a funny one upon contacting Garmin support.

"Hello - there are currently no plans on implementing a keylock because the 30 is being discontinued as we speak. In the meantime may we suggest you firmly glue a cornpad around the Click-stick, instructions are attached as a PDF file..."

I suppose it works, otoh i suspect it makes the unit harder to handle with gloves.

Thanks for the LOL .... Now the sad part is I just might try this.

I do like the 2 button lock idea! If it goes in my pocket... It's gonna stay there a while. I might peek at it now and again just to make sure I'm still on track... But I don't touch the controls before it goes back in my pocket. I would love this feature!

Major annoyance when out and about with my eTrex. Since the clickstick only needs a press and hold to create a waypoint, tucking it into a jacket pocket will make the unit produce lots and lots of dud waypoints.

I understand there is no keylock, but is there any workaround other than using a hardcase, such as a screen mode where the unit does not respond to the clickstick?

The Garmin case P/N 010-11734-00 will do the trick. That's what I use on my 20's and 30. The area around the "joystick" is built up on the case and will not allow accidental movement if in a pocket. The Gizmo case for this unit, as mentioned by another contributor, is actually really nice and fits well. I have one but went back to using the Garmin case.