Taken username but unused since 2004 and only 2 finds since 2002

SRJB

Hello there, I am interested in trying to get hold of a user name that has been unused since 2004 and only 2 finds since 2002. Someone has obviously signed up but never really got into the hobby. I am keen to try to obtain this user name but don't really know the best way to go about it. If anyone has done this or has any advice about how do go about this subject I would appreciate it.

Many thanks

Stephen

Edited by SRJB
Hello there, I am interested in trying to get hold of a user name that has been unused since 2004 and only 2 finds since 2002. Someone has obviously signed up but never really got into the hobby. I am keen to try to obtain this user name but don't really know the best way to go about it. If anyone has done this or has any advice about how do go about this subject I would appreciate it.

Many thanks

Stephen

Once a username is verified (by clicking on the link in the verification email), it cannot be taken by another member no matter what. If the name had been registered but never verified (by the link in the email) then someone at Groundspeak would be able to give it to you.

I remember someone mentioning how to add a hidden Unicode character to the end of your name to separate it from the existing name, but I can't find that topic. Maybe they'll post it here.

I am keen to try to obtain this user name but don't really know the best way to go about it. If anyone has done this or has any advice about how do go about this

The only way to "obtain this user name" would be to successfully contact the user, and convince them to give you their Geocaching.com password. Then you could "become" them.

Otherwise, the name is taken. Try some variant on the name. Say you want "Robert" - try Rob3rt, or _Robert, or Robert_

or Robe®t, or Røbert....

A few years back, someone came into these forums, anxious to have a particular username, and quite unhappy with Groundspeak for being unwilling to let him have it. As in your example, the user account was old, and had just a few finds, and then 6 years with no login.

That user ended up creating Username_ A few months after his forum post on this, the orignal user, Username, came into the forums, asking some questions about assorted changes in the game since he last logged on, after his 2 tours in Afghanistan.

I recently started caching again after a long absence due to a string of rather dramatic life events. It had been 4 years since I logged on, and I was very happy that I still had my account. My husband has joined me and was disappointed because his preferred username wasn't available, until we realized that he'd registered when I did and he still had the account. Until we figured that out, he was planning on joining with a username that replaced the vowels with numbers (leetspeak).

Sometimes people have good reasons to stop playing. Not every time, of course, but I'd been wanting to start again, just couldn't due to circumstances. (Admittedly, my story's not as good as the one above me, but I had to share. :P )

I started geocaching this year and I sent the link to my brother and suggested he might like to do this with his kids in winter (they go fishing a lot in summer but don't in winter). It was my brother that pointed out to me that my new phone had GPS, which was pivotal in me starting this new hobby. It turns out he joined in 2006 and had found 5 caches. He went out last weekend and found another 6 so that was a 6 year gap. When I visit his city again I'm looking forward to going out with him, and now I have a sister in that city interested in geocaching too. Family commitments and other things sometimes just become more important, but as with my brother, they come back to it. I'm glad his nick was still there waiting for him, with the history of his finds, small as they were. I agree with the others. It can be a bit frustrating that the absolute nick you want is taken but variations are still available.

The Muddy Paw

Exploring Geocaching through the eyes of a Newbie

I am keen to try to obtain this user name but don't really know the best way to go about it. If anyone has done this or has any advice about how do go about this

The only way to "obtain this user name" would be to successfully contact the user, and convince them to give you their Geocaching.com password. Then you could "become" them.

Otherwise, the name is taken. Try some variant on the name. Say you want "Robert" - try Rob3rt, or _Robert, or Robert_

or Robe®t, or Røbert....

A few years back, someone came into these forums, anxious to have a particular username, and quite unhappy with Groundspeak for being unwilling to let him have it. As in your example, the user account was old, and had just a few finds, and then 6 years with no login.

That user ended up creating Username_ A few months after his forum post on this, the orignal user, Username, came into the forums, asking some questions about assorted changes in the game since he last logged on, after his 2 tours in Afghanistan.

If you can contact the owner of the 'name' and they are no longer interested in geocaching then it should be easy to ask them to log into the geocaching site and change their 'name' to something different. That would release the 'old' name to be used by you.

If you can contact the owner of the 'name' and they are no longer interested in geocaching then it should be easy to ask them to log into the geocaching site and change their 'name' to something different. That would release the 'old' name to be used by you.

A far better suggestion then mine, good thinking.

Cool, thanks for your replies, I'm not going to worry too much about it, as long as I can go caching and enjoy myself that's the main aim of the game :) I will send them a quick e-mail and see if they would release the user name, it doesn't hurt to ask :) If not then I shall stick as I am, I'm more interested at present in racking up my finds than I am changing my user name :)

Thanks once again

Stephen

I think I read it somewhere, that if an account has logged at least 1 find, the name is taken forever.

If an account has no finds, it's possible to get that name by contacting Groundspeak.

That's not completely true. If it has a valid email it is until it is no longer validated.

Or if the the find is of a cache where the CO is no longer active.

I think I read it somewhere, that if an account has logged at least 1 find, the name is taken forever.

If an account has no finds, it's possible to get that name by contacting Groundspeak.

That's not completely true. If it has a valid email it is until it is no longer validated.

From the Help Center (bolding mine):

If a username already exists and has ever been validated, or the username has been used in any way, then the username is not available.

If a username already exists and has ever been validated, or the username has been used in any way, then the username is not available.

But as I said it's not completely true or I wouldn't be jellis I would still be jellis50. The name jellis was taken and used and I did not contact the owner of the name.

Follow some of the suggestions posted here - suck it up and use another nic - or just be full of angst and complain about it here on the forums (like a lot of post lately).

Your choice.

Like you, apparently? If the forums annoy you, don't look at them. :(

I have experience in this matter. I fully agree if someone found even one cache, that username should be taken for all eternity. The policy here is if the account has been VALIDATED it's gone forever. This means they answered the validation link sent to them via email. Even if they have 0 finds and 0 hides, and only logged into the website for the day they created the account, it's gone forever. I was denied a validated 0 find 0 hide name that logged in for one day in October 2007.

Anyone who supports this silly policy, I invite you to open up a Yahoo or Hotmail email account, never once use it, and tell me if it's still there in 6 months. :lol:

Cool, thanks for your replies, I'm not going to worry too much about it, as long as I can go caching and enjoy myself that's the main aim of the game :) I will send them a quick e-mail and see if they would release the user name, it doesn't hurt to ask :) If not then I shall stick as I am, I'm more interested at present in racking up my finds than I am changing my user name :)

Thanks once again

Stephen

To muddy the waters, I am of the opinion if that account had 2 finds, they would not be allowed to give it to you. Now if Mr. 0 find 0 hide one day log-in in 2007 responded to any inquiry, they would be allowed to give it up.

Follow some of the suggestions posted here - suck it up and use another nic - or just be full of angst and complain about it here on the forums (like a lot of post lately).

Your choice.

Duuude!! I don't see any angst there. I see a question. This is not the first time you've posted a reponse like that to somebody's question. Please lighten up a bit... you're giving us all a bad name (name pun not intended).

Your choice.

Duuude!! I don't see any angst there. I see a question. This is not the first time you've posted a reponse like that to somebody's question. Please lighten up a bit... you're giving us all a bad name (name pun not intended).

I thought zack_black's post was irresponsible.

Your choice.

I thought zack_black's post was irresponsible.

Rife with cavalier attitude, but sometimes that's about it.

There are alternatives, which could be helfully offered up, i.e. put some Underscores in the name, add and asterisk or number and you're there. Never assume an account is completely dead. I took a 4 year hiatus and now I've passed 5,000 finds and 100 hides -- some people return.

But as I said it's not completely true or I wouldn't be jellis I would still be jellis50. The name jellis was taken and used and I did not contact the owner of the name.

Interesting. How long ago was that? Maybe they've changed the policy since then. I was lucky enough that the original "The A-Team" had never validated their account, so there wasn't a problem with changing my name to that.

Interesting. How long ago was that? Maybe they've changed the policy since then. I was lucky enough that the original "The A-Team" had never validated their account, so there wasn't a problem with changing my name to that.

Well, I'll wait for her answer, but I doubt it was "used" under Groundspeak's long-time definition. You have received a non-validated 0 find 0 hide name, and I even know someone who received a non-validated 0 find 0 hide name way, way back in 2005, after joining with that same name but with 2 digits after it in 2004.

Jellis, When did you go from Jellis50 to Jellis?

Edited by Mr.Yuck

There are alternatives, which could be helfully offered up, i.e. put some Underscores in the name, add and asterisk or number and you're there. Never assume an account is completely dead. I took a 4 year hiatus and now I've passed 5,000 finds and 100 hides -- some people return.

When I wanted to change to my name and last initial I found that it was taken by a guy that had signed up in '06 yet had no finds or hides. Thus the underscore. I just checked, he finally found 2 caches in '09 and logged in 2 months ago. Since the guy eventually found some caches, would it have been fair for me to take his name simply because he had 0 records?

And what are you defining as "used"? Did the account have any finds?

Any validated account. By a validated account, you must provide an email address at sign up, go to your email address and open up the geocaching.com verification email, and click on a link in that email to activate your account.

You have to do this for just about anything on the internet. But "just about anything on the internet" does not usually consider doing so meaning the username is used forever. :ph34r:

I am of the opinion the original guy with your username, and the person who originally had Jellis were not validated.

By the way, here's the name I was refused. It is validated, and is gone forever: Some guy who is never coming back

By the way, here's the name I was refused. It is validated, and is gone forever: Some guy who is never coming back

I think things worked out for you because I find the name "Mr.Yuck" much more memorable that "twu" :)

Have to agree, there, at least on style. "Mr.Yuck" stands out and I remember it from the Poison Prevention advertising. "Twu" is handy for this crowded, highly in need of replacement, logs.

I think things worked out for you because I find the name "Mr.Yuck" much more memorable that "twu" :)

Have to agree, there, at least on style. "Mr.Yuck" stands out and I remember it from the Poison Prevention advertising. "Twu" is handy for this crowded, highly in need of replacement, logs.

Yeah, yeah. :laughing: It was an abbreviation for the username I used from 2003-2009 (or maybe 2010??). By 2004, I was already signing most paper logs as "TWU". I probably have over 1,000 physical logbooks signed as TWU.

Interesting....

When I wanted to change to my name and last initial I found that it was taken by a guy that had signed up in '06 yet had no finds or hides. Thus the underscore. I just checked, he finally found 2 caches in '09 and logged in 2 months ago. Since the guy eventually found some caches, would it have been fair for me to take his name simply because he had 0 records?

Then it becomes a question of how often did Don J (no underscore) log in while he had 0 finds and 0 hides? Every 6 months or once a year would be fine by me. I'm not just pulling this stuff out of my butt, you know, there is precedence all over the interwebs. Note how in post #14, I say that if you open up a Yahoo email account, validate it, and proceed to never use it, it goes poof after 6 months.

Interesting....

Proof it pays to ask.

I actually signed up for Geocaching in 2003 never hid a cache and never logged a find, the account set unused till July 2008 (5 years) later and I was happy to see the username was still there and ready for my use.

SS

Wow! You'd think people would be clamoring for the name, "Scubasonic"! :D You were very, very lucky!

Edited by knowschad

And what are you defining as "used"? Did the account have any finds?

Any validated account. By a validated account, you must provide an email address at sign up, go to your email address and open up the geocaching.com verification email, and click on a link in that email to activate your account.

Sorry, I was directing my question to Jellis. I should have stated that. The way she worded her response to my earlier post implied that the other user had verified, found a cache, or otherwise "used" the account. I was just wondering exactly how it had been "used".

Actually I wanted jellis1 or jellis but ended up as jellis50 cause both were taken and used but not active since 2001. Each only having 1 find. When Alamogul changed his name from TeamAlamo to Alamogul I realized I could now change mine. But still both were taken and used. Trick here is not all validated email addresses stay validated. Jellis1 stayed validated but not jellis. You can figure out the rest.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I am healing up and back working again. I work nights. Dragonswest you owe me a caching trip. But no high terrains for awhile. I can't fit in my boots yet.

Edited by jellis

Yeah, yeah. :laughing: It was an abbreviation for the username I used from 2003-2009 (or maybe 2010??). By 2004, I was already signing most paper logs as "TWU". I probably have over 1,000 physical logbooks signed as TWU.

I still miss The White Urkel. :ph34r:

This has got me to thinking that if I was smart enough to think up some good unique user names and get them validated maybe I could sell them on ebay or somewhere. On the other hand I haven't looked on ebay and I wouldn't be surprised if there's some for sale already. I've already figured out that in a few hundred years a charter membership should be worth something so I'm holding on to it. Guess this is kinda OT so I'm off to ebay. If anybody would like my user name or charter membership I'll let them go for $1000.

Has it bee that long since we last saw The White Urkel?

Thanks for remembering, Dolphin and hydnsek. Yeah, that was kinda funny, but I really got sick of being referred to as "Urkel". Which many locals still do, incidently. <_<

I actually signed up for Geocaching in 2003 never hid a cache and never logged a find, the account set unused till July 2008 (5 years) later and I was happy to see the username was still there and ready for my use.

SS

I never thought I'd say this, but then that makes you one in a million, SS. :laughing: I mean I have a better chance of being struck by lightning than there being a second person showing up in this thread and saying they had a 0 find 0 hide account for 5 years, and logged back in. Did you log in occasionally, or did you seriously have a one day log-in showing for 5 years?

Side note, I created a Wheresgeorge.com account in late 2003 or early 2004, back when most caches were regular sized, and it was rather popular to move them around in Geocaches sort of like Travel Bugs. After a couple years, I remembered I entered the first George I ever saw in 2000. After a couple wrong tries, I remembered the email address I had in 2000, and I've been using the same nonsensical word as a password all over the web for years. So I have a super old school 2000 wheresgeorge account. Of course I agree with that, the account was used to log a bill. It was probably 2005 or 2006 I reactivated it.