Just the TB code

lamontsonthehill

Funny you should mention that...

See Tracking Code Policy in the Help Center.

I hadn't seen that before but it looks like it's primarily for creating trackable geocoins. Although I've seen some trackable geocoins that look nothing like a "coin" it sounds like what the OP is looking for is the ability to create some other type of item (perhaps their own custom t-shirt design) and include a "official tracking code" on it. If one could just purchase a tracking code I imagine that almost any swag like item could be turned into a trackable item that is somewhat in between a geocoin and a travel bug. I also could see that it could create some confusion if someone found an item in a cache that did not have a travel bug attached to it, but it was actually trackable with an official tracking code.

I hadn't seen that before but it looks like it's primarily for creating trackable geocoins. Although I've seen some trackable geocoins that look nothing like a "coin" it sounds like what the OP is looking for is the ability to create some other type of item (perhaps their own custom t-shirt design) and include a "official tracking code" on it. If one could just purchase a tracking code I imagine that almost any swag like item could be turned into a trackable item that is somewhat in between a geocoin and a travel bug. I also could see that it could create some confusion if someone found an item in a cache that did not have a travel bug attached to it, but it was actually trackable with an official tracking code.

There are a some companies like GxPROXY.com that will engrave a single item with a tracking code. As each code costs $1.50 you can expect to pay about $3.00, but at least it can be replaced if lost.

You can buy TB tags/codes for $4..... Is that too much to spend? And you'll get a tag to go along with it so you don't forget what the code is. You can keep the tag at home...... Make the TB whatever you want....

And if you search around, you might find them cheaper than that.

If you can't afford to spend $4 on a travel bug tag/code, then you really shouldn't be geocaching.

:ph34r:

If you can't afford to spend $4 on a travel bug tag/code, then you really shouldn't be geocaching.

:ph34r:

Can you explain what you mean here. It sounds like you are saying that poor people shouldn't be allowed to geocache.

I see this a lot. People buy coins that they want to keep in their collection, but send the number out engraved on something else, or send out a photocopy of the coin. People also have bought travel bugs and engraved the code on something else, so they don't have to have the tag attached to their item.