Geocaching.com site update May 8th 2012

Read the last update's Release Notes

Release Notes

New:

• Localized copy in the Premium Popups

• Localized copy for Facebook Connect

• Localized copy for Land and Law page

• It’s now possible to edit a final waypoint in the new cache submission process

• Updated the look of the “Upgrade to Premium” button in the login widget

• Synced up the beginner cache messaging color with the color used to identify beginner caches

• Updated cache details page for any logged in, non-owner viewing an unpublished cache

• Hotfixed the May calendar

• Updated /Live page with API partner GDAK

• Updated /Live page with API partner Project GC

• Updated copy for API License Agreement to fix link copy regarding private API partner forum

• Updated the Guidelines summary posted at /about/guidelines.aspx to match changes made to guidelines in April 24th release

• Updated TOU section 5, “Access and Interference”, to specify access to the site by authorized Geocaching Live API applications is permitted

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed issue in the cache submission process which allowed a user to assign the wrong country to a region/state

• Fixed bug causing HTML to be shared in a Facebook status

• Cleaned up non-localized strings in the cache submission process

• Fixed bug which allowed HTML to be added to a cache hint

• Fixed a bug with the printing of the geocaching map that caused the map to be pushed to the corner of the page

• Fixed the link to update DeLorme Send to GPS plug-in

• Fixed a bug causing gallery image links to float out of the lightbox

• Fixed cache page printing in IE9

KD0cp.png Geocaching Live API Beta

The beta launch of the Geocaching Live API continues!

gwswY.png

Project-GC

Project-GC is a website aiming to provide dynamic statistics for all geocachers in the world. Besides statistics there are several map tools that might be helpful. For example you can compare your finds with a friend or plot those D/T combinations you are missing. Some of the other things provided are statbars and overviews of your cache series.

DNwgO.jpg

GDAK

GDAK is a geocaching application designed for offline use. But it is just as easy to use it for online caching. You can also use GDAK with GSAK database, and if you have GSAK you can use it to download all images on the cache pages, put them in your phone and use them offline. It is also possible to use offline maps.

When will the Iphone app have our stats? Could you also include a search for challenges? The saved groups take a long while to load. Could you also find a way to make it so that after you find a mystery cache it would show up where it is or allow you to change the location so that when you are out and about you can find it with the rest as if it was regular. I have been using an app geosphere and it has that feature and it is the only reason I use it otherwise I would use only yours.

Are we still pending the update, or has it already been applied? Site still shows the "going offline around 11" yellow banner, but it's going on 11:30 AM PDT.

edit: I may have the answer to my own question, as things just stopped loading for me.

Edited by hzoi

Are we still pending the update, or has it already been applied? Site still shows the "going offline around 11" yellow banner, but it's going on 11:30 AM PDT.

edit: I may have the answer to my own question, as things just stopped loading for me.

Maybe it's because you are operating on PDT and they are (apparently) on PST.

// -/// Could you also find a way to make it so that after you find a mystery cache it would show up where it is or allow you to change the location so that when you are out and about you can find it with the rest as if it was regular. // --///

YES PLEASE Groundspeak - FIX THIS IN YOUR SMARTPHONE APP!

I hate that the puzzles I have updated on the cache do not transfer over to the app.

Seems like a lot work if I have to make a PQ of solved puzzles (from a bookmark) to make this a viable caching option.

I have to rely on other geocaching apps as they ALLOW corrected coordinates to be just that...CORRECTED!

Concerning the login page: why is the facebook login above the Groundspeak login?? Are facebook members more important than geocaching members?

Since this is the geocaching community, I think that the geocaching login should appear first!

Concerning the login page: why is the facebook login above the Groundspeak login?? Are facebook members more important than geocaching members?

Since this is the geocaching community, I think that the geocaching login should appear first!

Is it really that big of a deal?

Once you are logged in Facebook doesn't even show up.

rolleyes.gif

Maybe I'm not reading this right but can someone explain this one better for me?

Updated cache details page for any logged in, non-owner viewing an unpublished cache

If I had an unpublished cache and you landed on the cache page, you used to get a page with a strange message that really didn't explain the issue. I don't remember what the message was, but apparently, they have changed it.

Some of us refuse to get on facebook.

No one is making you use Facebook, not even Groundspeak.

Once you are logged in with your regular Groundspeak credentials, the Facebook login button doesn't even show up.

Yes, you say it: "Once you are logged in". But everytime I log in I have to scroll down to find the geocaching login possibility. Facebook is speading out far too much!

Once you are logged in with your regular Groundspeak credentials, the Facebook login button doesn't even show up.

Yes, you say it: "Once you are logged in". But everytime I log in I have to scroll down to find the geocaching login possibility. Facebook is speading out far too much!

I don't see the need for any scrolling...

Geocaching-TheOfficialGlobalGPSCacheHuntSite.png

I'm not seeing the need to scroll. What device are you using and why are you logging out in the first place?

I'm not seeing the need to scroll. What device are you using and why are you logging out in the first place?

I'm on a 13" Macbook White which and I have to scroll down to get to the login screen.

Why logout ? Security, I always run with Private Browsing mode in Firefox, not that I need to justify the why, but I'd thought I'd answer

The http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx screen that takes me to my home page has far too vertical a structure for anything remotely close to a modern laptop which tends to have a more horizonal/DVD-format aspect ratio. There is no technical reason that TPTB couldn't tweak their orientation to make the home screens more laptop friendly.

Not sure if this has been talked about before (and yes I have search the forums for the last 30min trying to find anything) but would it be possible to have a ability to change the icons for the cache type just as you can now change the listed co-ords?

Reason being when you have done the puzzle or qualified for a challenge cache then it is essentially just a traditional cache thereafter.

And you could then run a PQ for just trad caches and your solved puzzles would show.

I know this can be done in GSAK but you have to lock the field and then the cache isn't updated when a new PQ is loaded into GSAK so you don't know if the cache has been disabled or archived since you locked the cache details.

I also think it would be easier to just keep the whole process under one site instead of having to run multiple programs to do the same job.

Is anyone else on the same wave length here?

Please if i have posted in the wrong forum or there is already talk about this please point me in the wrong direction.

Keep up the good work Groundspeak.

Not sure if this has been talked about before (and yes I have search the forums for the last 30min trying to find anything) but would it be possible to have a ability to change the icons for the cache type just as you can now change the listed co-ords?

Reason being when you have done the puzzle or qualified for a challenge cache then it is essentially just a traditional cache thereafter.

And you could then run a PQ for just trad caches and your solved puzzles would show.

I know this can be done in GSAK but you have to lock the field and then the cache isn't updated when a new PQ is loaded into GSAK so you don't know if the cache has been disabled or archived since you locked the cache details.

I also think it would be easier to just keep the whole process under one site instead of having to run multiple programs to do the same job.

Please if i have posted in the wrong forum or there is already talk about this please point me in the wrong direction.

Cache types, and therefore the icons, are not changed after publication except in rare situations. If people have found a puzzle cache or a challenge cache, and if the icon were changed, the statistics of the finders would be automatically altered to show that they had found only a traditional. Among other things that could cause persons who have qualified for a challenge by having found certain cache types to no longer be qualified.

Exception situations could include errors in a cache page that can be corrected before finds are logged on the cache page. Exceptions are very rare.

Cache types, and therefore the icons, are not changed after publication except in rare situations. If people have found a puzzle cache or a challenge cache, and if the icon were changed, the statistics of the finders would be automatically altered to show that they had found only a traditional. Among other things that could cause persons who have qualified for a challenge by having found certain cache types to no longer be qualified.

Exception situations could include errors in a cache page that can be corrected before finds are logged on the cache page. Exceptions are very rare.

What he's suggesting would be for personal use only. Just like you can input your own coordinate on a puzzle cache after you have solved it.

Though this belongs in the suggestion forum.

I'm on a 13" Macbook White which and I have to scroll down to get to the login screen.

Why logout ? Security, I always run with Private Browsing mode in Firefox, not that I need to justify the why, but I'd thought I'd answer

The http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx screen that takes me to my home page has far too vertical a structure for anything remotely close to a modern laptop which tends to have a more horizonal/DVD-format aspect ratio. There is no technical reason that TPTB couldn't tweak their orientation to make the home screens more laptop friendly.

Could you post a screen shot? You shouldn't have to scroll.

This is what I get: FaceBook (whatever that is) is first and foremost.

Scroll down to get the rgular sign in.

71ca896e-a216-456a-87d8-7e9687395e78.jpg

Umm... This is Geocaching/Groundspeak. Why should FaceBook come first? Magor malfunction there!

Before you ask, I cannot increase everything to the size of the computer screen. I am visually handicapped. Like most modern computer programs, there is discrimination against the visually handicapped. Sometimes I think it's deliberate, sometimes I think it's just stupidity. (I thought there were laws against that?)

Before cataract surgery, my vision was 20/1200. Bifocals allowed me to see the bottom 3/4 of the computer screen. After cataract surgery, I am 20/20. Plastic lenses get for 4' or beyond, for the top, and 2' for the bifocals. My computers are set for 24". Keyboard, mouse, desktop, bottom 2/3 of the monitor. That is my field of vision. I think that most people who wear bidocals have the same problem. Stupid programs that pop up to the top of the screen cannot be read unless I crane my neck. Sorry. That hurts.

I think I should institute a lawsuit agains anyone who discriminates against the visually handicapped! Mostly for the idiots who designed the program I have to use at work. Everything pops up to the top!

If you sign in from the GC homepage this is what you should get (I guess you guys have "my profile" bookmarked instead to get redirected to the longer log in screen?):

Screen_shot_2012_05_22_at_06_56_03.png

Integration is top priority for most websites that rely on user content these days, it's pretty annoying...can't say I'm dying to spam my friends' news feeds with lists of found caches.

Edited by fluoro

Umm... This is Geocaching/Groundspeak. Why should FaceBook come first? Magor malfunction there!

Before you ask, I cannot increase everything to the size of the computer screen. I am visually handicapped. Like most modern computer programs, there is discrimination against the visually handicapped. Sometimes I think it's deliberate, sometimes I think it's just stupidity. (I thought there were laws against that?)

Before cataract surgery, my vision was 20/1200. Bifocals allowed me to see the bottom 3/4 of the computer screen. After cataract surgery, I am 20/20. Plastic lenses get for 4' or beyond, for the top, and 2' for the bifocals. My computers are set for 24". Keyboard, mouse, desktop, bottom 2/3 of the monitor. That is my field of vision. I think that most people who wear bidocals have the same problem. Stupid programs that pop up to the top of the screen cannot be read unless I crane my neck. Sorry. That hurts.

I think I should institute a lawsuit agains anyone who discriminates against the visually handicapped! Mostly for the idiots who designed the program I have to use at work. Everything pops up to the top!

Am I getting this correct? You can't see the top of the screen, you can see the bottom of the screen best, yet, your complaint is that Facebook pushed the log in part that you want to use to the bottom, where you can see it. If this was a advertisement that pushed he log in widget into your field of view, would you be thanking the layout designers? Is this simply about Facebook?