Newbie Building First Cartridge

Spire67

I am from a geocaching background and today I did my first Wherigo. I really enjoyed it and so want to create my own cartridge for others to play.

I have only done one cartridge so dont really know what you can do with a cartridge. The one I did was in Leicester which was the nearest one to me but still 20 miles away. So its not really practical for me to try lots of cartridges to build up experience and ideas.

The one I played took me on a historical tour of the city and had me picking up items as I went. I suspect that Wherigo can be much more creative than this. So I would love to hear of other things that can be done and whether it is practical for a newbie to be undertakingbuilding them. I want to create a good experience for the end user but I dont want to make it too difficult for me to create.

Many thanks for any suggestions and guidance.

Neil

Spire67

I am from a geocaching background and today I did my first Wherigo. I really enjoyed it and so want to create my own cartridge for others to play.

I have only done one cartridge so dont really know what you can do with a cartridge. The one I did was in Leicester which was the nearest one to me but still 20 miles away. So its not really practical for me to try lots of cartridges to build up experience and ideas.

The one I played took me on a historical tour of the city and had me picking up items as I went. I suspect that Wherigo can be much more creative than this. So I would love to hear of other things that can be done and whether it is practical for a newbie to be undertakingbuilding them. I want to create a good experience for the end user but I dont want to make it too difficult for me to create.

Many thanks for any suggestions and guidance.

Neil

Spire67

If you are planning to use the Groundspeak editor I have a 9 page tips and trick manual in my dropbox with some live cartridges that I have made that you can check.just drop me a mail with your mailadress.

As anyone will tell you, there is a steep learning curve to creating Wherigo cartridges if you want to do anything aside from a go-here-answer-this type cartridge (a builder I created as an experiment makes this type really easy to do, now). Usually, those new to something will come in with different ideas, so I encourage newbies to try it. This community is here to answer any questions you have and to support you along the way, so don't hesitate to search the forum or ask.

As something creative, I have Whack-A-Lackey, based on the Whack-A-Mole arcade game, and Battleship, based on the traditional game that needed two players. Wherigo wasn't designed for those and it took some work to make them; it's not for the beginner without a programming background. My other public cartridges have been a little more towards the norm, one getting people to identify various wood carvings in a park and the other looking for a little girl's lost iPod (which happened to be in random places in the park).

I've seen cartridges that took people on an historical tour, led people through an invisible maze, played out the feed-chicken-fox logic puzzle, had the player take part as a crime scene investigator, had the player compete against three other NPCs choosing items from a character's house for a high appraisal value, walked people through gathering ingredients for a recipe, caused people to run on a trail for a mile and a half to reach a certain location before a timer expired (hooray: exercise!), led people to various places to answer educational questions (some places had physical containers that played into the questions or puzzles), and several others.

Ultimately, if you come up with a creative game and you don't know how to create it with Wherigo, you can always ask someone in the forum to help you create it. As long as I have some free time, I'm always interested in creating more play anywhere cartridges. It's not uncommon to have assistance. The important thing is, if you have a good idea, don't give up. I'd love to see what others come up with.

As anyone will tell you, there is a steep learning curve to creating Wherigo cartridges if you want to do anything aside from a go-here-answer-this type cartridge (a builder I created as an experiment makes this type really easy to do, now). Usually, those new to something will come in with different ideas, so I encourage newbies to try it. This community is here to answer any questions you have and to support you along the way, so don't hesitate to search the forum or ask.

As something creative, I have Whack-A-Lackey, based on the Whack-A-Mole arcade game, and Battleship, based on the traditional game that needed two players. Wherigo wasn't designed for those and it took some work to make them; it's not for the beginner without a programming background. My other public cartridges have been a little more towards the norm, one getting people to identify various wood carvings in a park and the other looking for a little girl's lost iPod (which happened to be in random places in the park).

I've seen cartridges that took people on an historical tour, led people through an invisible maze, played out the feed-chicken-fox logic puzzle, had the player take part as a crime scene investigator, had the player compete against three other NPCs choosing items from a character's house for a high appraisal value, walked people through gathering ingredients for a recipe, caused people to run on a trail for a mile and a half to reach a certain location before a timer expired (hooray: exercise!), led people to various places to answer educational questions (some places had physical containers that played into the questions or puzzles), and several others.

Ultimately, if you come up with a creative game and you don't know how to create it with Wherigo, you can always ask someone in the forum to help you create it. As long as I have some free time, I'm always interested in creating more play anywhere cartridges. It's not uncommon to have assistance. The important thing is, if you have a good idea, don't give up. I'd love to see what others come up with.

This is good to know.

I have something I'm working on to create my first Wherigo cartridge, but it seems whenever I start, I keep getting error messages. It's frustrating to me and I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to give up. The one I am working on isn't the most in-depth and crazy one, but rather a way to have a Wherigo cache in our area so people can have a little fun and such. Alas, nothing I have done seems to work and I'm trying to find something out. I might have to make a post here to try and push further as it's driving me up a wall! :D