Geocaching = Suspicious Activity

That's your takeaway? I must hate cops because I wish to not be detained? No, I respect police as much as I respect anyone else in our society. I don't give them any extra respect just because they are a cop though. The worst thing you can ever do is answer a cop's questions. If you only learn one thing from this thread it is this:

Don't answer questions. Avoid interactions with law enforcement.

And no, I've never had a bad experience with a cop as I'm sure you are assuming. They've all been pleasant interactions. But it's best to avoid them.

To the guy who said it's illegal to have a scanner in your car? You're incorrect. Only in 2-3 states are there laws about it. In those states get a ham radio license. Then you don't have to worry about it as ham operators are exempted. I have an Extra class radio license. But it has nothing to do with meeting the letter of the law as it's legal for anyone to operate a scanner in a motor vehicle.

Have a good day.

This is begging the question: Why? Why is conversing with a cop "the worst thing you can ever do"? As an LEO myself, I would say unholstering a concealed pistol would trump your "answering questions" as the worst thing you could ever do, by a long shot. :rolleyes:

Because there have been so many people innocent people imprisoned for something they didn't do. Which started with them "incriminating" themselves without them even knowing it. Anything you say WILL be used against you. Nothing you say can be used to HELP you...

Haha, you got me there though with the weapon comment. That is a very bad idea. Lol. When I've been pulled over I always make sure to state that I am armed and where my weapon is.

Well, anything you say can be used against you in a court of law. If someone is giving a LEO probable cause that a crime is being committed, then you would be Mirandized. Simply stating that you are geocaching, when not under arrest, when that's all you are doing will only help you. I'm not up on the statistics, but I think I can say in confidence that there aren't many (any) geocachers out there lingering in prisons for geocaching.

Not answering your questions is not probable cause to arrest me. That's what you make it sound like; intentionally or not. A false arrest is serious business. I know cops don't like their authority being questioned, I know I wouldn't either if I was a cop. But I would respect that citizen more than the rest who just sing like a canary out of some weird backwards notion towards law enforcement. You are here to serve and protect. I'm not here to serve you. I of course respect you (all cops) the same as I respect everyone else. No less or more.

Sorry I sound so argumentative but all the flack I'm getting irks me. Lol.

Edited by Pinballwiz

That's your takeaway? I must hate cops because I wish to not be detained? No, I respect police as much as I respect anyone else in our society. I don't give them any extra respect just because they are a cop though. The worst thing you can ever do is answer a cop's questions. If you only learn one thing from this thread it is this:

And no, I've never had a bad experience with a cop as I'm sure you are assuming. They've all been pleasant interactions. But it's best to avoid them.

To the guy who said it's illegal to have a scanner in your car? You're incorrect. Only in 2-3 states are there laws about it. In those states get a ham radio license. Then you don't have to worry about it as ham operators are exempted. I have an Extra class radio license. But it has nothing to do with meeting the letter of the law as it's legal for anyone to operate a scanner in a motor vehicle.

Have a good day.

This is begging the question: Why? Why is conversing with a cop "the worst thing you can ever do"? As an LEO myself, I would say unholstering a concealed pistol would trump your "answering questions" as the worst thing you could ever do, by a long shot. :rolleyes:

Because there have been so many people innocent people imprisoned for something they didn't do. Which started with them "incriminating" themselves without them even knowing it. Anything you say WILL be used against you. Nothing you say can be used to HELP you...

Haha, you got me there though with the weapon comment. That is a very bad idea. Lol. When I've been pulled over I always make sure to state that I am armed and where my weapon is.

Well, anything you say can be used against you in a court of law. If someone is giving a LEO probable cause that a crime is being committed, then you would be Mirandized. Simply stating that you are geocaching, when not under arrest, when that's all you are doing will only help you. I'm not up on the statistics, but I think I can say in confidence that there aren't many (any) geocachers out there lingering in prisons for geocaching.

Not answering your questions is not probable cause to arrest me. That's what you make it sound like; intentionally or not. A false arrest is serious business. I know cops don't like their authority being questioned, I know I wouldn't either if I was a cop. But I would respect that citizen more than the rest who just sing like a canary out of some weird backwards notion towards law enforcement. You are here to serve and protect. I'm not here to serve you. I of course respect you (all cops) the same as I respect everyone else. No less or more.

Big Brother may be watching you already, so mind what you post here. :ph34r:

Have a good day.

I am a proud American citizen. If "big brother" is watching a geocaching forum then that just goes to show you an example of the waste of tax payer money. Ridiculous.

Have a good day.

I am a proud American citizen. If "big brother" is watching a geocaching forum then that just goes to show you an example of the waste of tax payer money. Ridiculous.

Yes, they probably already have you on their watchlist. :ph34r:

Have a good day.

I doubt it. But even if they did, so what? Is that supposed to scare me. I'm a law abiding citizen. Thanks a lot 9/11 and The Patriot Act. Smh. They already won if people think like you.

Have a good day.

Nope, you're correct it's not. But you may not be aware of other circumstances that may have prompted the cop to ask you what you are doing. Hypothetical: For example there may have been some burglaries in the area in the recent past. Putting myself in the shoes of the patrolman being dispatched to "investigate a suspicious individual", and I encounter an individual at an odd hour acting in an evasive manner, Now my danger alarms are ringing in my head. Now for my own safety, I will search your person. What do I find? A concealed sub compact 9mm. Now with the totality of the circumstances I'm going to have to cuff you for MY safety and disarm you. Now you're sitting in the back of my cruiser as I make your plate, run the serial number on your pistol, run your name for any wants and warrants.... All of which comeback negitive. But in the meantime, 1 hour of your precious time has been wasted all in an effort to never speak to a cop, when simply stating you were geocaching and trying get a ftf on that back alley micro would have saved 55 of those 60 minutes. Oh, I almost forgot, during that entire encounter, I was being paid.

Have a good day.

I doubt it. But even if they did, so what? Is that supposed to scare me. I'm a law abiding citizen. Thanks a lot 9/11 and The Patriot Act. Smh. They already won if people think like you.

I'm sure that I attract attention when I geocache, because I do it like a boss. If confronted by Law I always explain myself, I have no issues with them.

Have a good day.

Nope, you're correct it's not. But you may not be aware of other circumstances that may have prompted the cop to ask you what you are doing. Hypothetical: For example there may have been some burglaries in the area in the recent past. Putting myself in the shoes of the patrolman being dispatched to "investigate a suspicious individual", and I encounter an individual at an odd hour acting in an evasive manner, Now my danger alarms are ringing in my head. Now for my own safety, I will search your person. What do I find? A concealed sub compact 9mm. Now with the totality of the circumstances I'm going to have to cuff you for MY safety and disarm you. Now you're sitting in the back of my cruiser as I make your plate, run the serial number on your pistol, run your name for any wants and warrants.... All of which comeback negitive. But in the meantime, 1 hour of your precious time has been wasted all in an effort to never speak to a cop, when simply stating you were geocaching and trying get a ftf on that back alley micro would have saved 55 of those 60 minutes. Oh, I almost forgot, during that entire encounter, I was being paid.

Hence the radio. I'd be long gone before contact.

Have a good day.

I'm sure that I attract attention when I geocache, because I do it like a boss. If confronted by Law I always explain myself, I have no issues with them.

I don't have any issues with law enforcement. You're not getting what I'm saying. Nevermind guys. Everything that needs to be said has been said. Take care guys, I'm out.

Have a good day.

You seem to have missed the part where I was questioned by police that had observed me doing something they deemed suspicious in *Rome, Italy*. Miranda rights don't apply when you're not in the U.S. I did explain geocaching, but because the incident happened in Italy my explanation in English wasn't understood easily by Italian speaking polizia. That was why my "takeaway" was to have something, such as a geocaching, brochure which would help explain what I was doing in a language that could be understood.

Have a good day.

You seem to have missed the part where I was questioned by police that had observed me doing something they deemed suspicious in *Rome, Italy*. Miranda rights don't apply when you're not in the U.S. I did explain geocaching, but because the incident happened in Italy my explanation in English wasn't understood easily by Italian speaking polizia. That was why my "takeaway" was to have something, such as a geocaching, brochure which would help explain what I was doing in a language that could be understood.

??? I'm sorry, but are you addressing me? The entire conversation you quoted was between myself and pinballwiz. I'm sorry if you thought I missed your point, but it was probably because I was addressing another persons points/issues.

But, to address your point: I'm U.S. Federal LEO. I have no educated opinion on Italian LEO policies or procedures. Again, I apologize if you were addressing someone else.

As an Extra you should know the world is bigger than just the US. Here it's illegal to listen to police/fire/air... or anything else "non public". Law enforcement uses digital encryption here too (look up "Astrid"). Hams here are not exempt in any way.

On the other hand, police shootings are still "news" here and not a daily habit <_< In fact you can talk to them just like humans :ph34r:

Indeed, I know a few cachers in the UK who have been asked what they were doing by the Police, and when they explained the Police officers helped them look for the cache.

To be honest if your time is so preious Pinballwiz, I can't think of many things more likely to drag out an encounter with the cops than "refusing to answer questions".....

Actually, the encounter goes by just the same. They can't force you to answer a question besides stuff like your name, let me see an ID.

The problem with most citizens is that they are quite content and snappy to give up all their rights because they feel compelled that they HAVE to answer an officer because they feel they'll look bad for not answering? See how that makes no sense. If you have nothing to hide, you still don't answer questions. You never answer questions. Obviously there are exceptions...use your own common sense and watch that video I posted.

You do look bad for not answering. And...the officer can detain you for a significant amount of time. Yes he needs probable cvause to detain you, but it is a much looser standard than necessary for arrest.

"I thought one of his tail lights was out," and you loose an hour of your day because you wouldn't tell him you were geocaching.

Stop giving crappy advice.

Have a good day.

??? I'm sorry, but are you addressing me? The entire conversation you quoted was between myself and pinballwiz. I'm sorry if you thought I missed your point, but it was probably because I was addressing another persons points/issues.

But, to address your point: I'm U.S. Federal LEO. I have no educated opinion on Italian LEO policies or procedures. Again, I apologize if you were addressing someone else.

No, I wasn't addressing you specifically. Pinballwiz's response to my earlier post was suggesting that I shouldn't answer any questions from a LEO and the thread has somewhat drifted to being about rights as an American citizen, which are of course irrelevant when in some other country.

Look...I get it. I understand the reasoning behind the "don't talk to the police" lecture. I've seen the YouTube video, I've read the "miscarriage of justice" horror stories.

But the way I look at it...that's when a crime has been committed. If I'm on private property (shopping center parking lot, for example) or sensitive areas (near active railroad tracks or a city reservoir), the worst thing I could do is lie about my activity or not say anything at all. The best thing I could do is, simply put, tell the truth. "Sir, I'm looking for a geocache that's supposed to be hidden here." Yes, it can still go south on you, but I've just learned to not trespass when there are "No Trespassing" signs.

"What are you doing?"

"None of your business."

It doesn't matter if you're talking to your mother, your spouse, your boss, or a cop - being a defiant a-hole is going to get you a hard time no matter what you think your precious rights are.

Cops deal with the beligerant on a regular basis. A great way to have positive interactions with them is to be polite and respectful and not one of those people who act like jerks to every police officer they meet.

I have been pulled over by cops, had cops work traffic accidents I've been involved in, and been questioned multiple times while geocaching. Never in something like a dozen encounters in the last 20 years have I had a cop give me a hard time or mistreat me. On the other hand I have educated several cops about geocaching.

Edited by Joshism

"What are you doing?"

"None of your business."

It does matter if you're talking to your mother, your spouse, your boss, or a cop - being a defiant a-hole is going to get you a hard time no matter what you think your precious rights are.

Cops deal with the beligerant on a regular basis. A great way to have positive interactions with them is to be polite and respectful and not one of those people who act like jerks to every police officer they meet.

I have been pulled over by cops, had cops work traffic accidents I've been involved in, and been questioned multiple times while geocaching. Never in something like a dozen encounters in the last 20 years have I had a cop give me a hard time or mistreat me. On the other hand I have educated several cops about geocaching.

Well said!

Seems odd that the OP states in once sentence, he respects law enforcement, but then in others, says that he does his best to run away from cops. That if he did get confronted, he wouldn't answer any of their questions. I'm not one for drama but i have to admit, it would be interesting to watch and see how his meeting with police played out. :ph34r:

I recognized a middle aged white guy is treated better than most, on average, by LEOs, but I take the following position toward this: even if you are worried about your rights -- as you should be -- when you are geocaching, you may well have put yourself in a spot where they've a colorable claim for "reasonable suspicion" to justify a Terry stop, at least if you are doing a lot of poking around a building or actual trespassing. A few kind words of explanation will probably solve any problem you are having, especially now that caching has been around for as long as it has and most LEOs know about it.

That said, remember the important thing here: unless you are placed under arrest, you are free to leave. If an LEO is giving you a hard time and you are beginning to think you are being in a spot where you are being made uncomfortable, tell them politely that you are going to move on, and if they give you any grief just say "unless I am under arrest, I am going to leave." And just turn around and leave.

(This wiki does a nice job of describing it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_stop)

I've only had one interaction with a LEO and that was a couple of CHP officers when I was getting a cache very near the Bay Bridge. Drove up, asked what I was doing, said I was geocaching -- and he said, "Let me see what you found" (I had the blinky in my hand). Their reaction: "Cool, haven't seen one that small!"

Edited by Alkhalikoi

"What are you doing?"

"None of your business."

It does matter if you're talking to your mother, your spouse, your boss, or a cop - being a defiant a-hole is going to get you a hard time no matter what you think your precious rights are.

Well said!

Seems odd that the OP states in once sentence, he respects law enforcement, but then in others, says that he does his best to run away from cops. That if he did get confronted, he wouldn't answer any of their questions. I'm not one for drama but i have to admit, it would be interesting to watch and see how his meeting with police played out. :ph34r:

I don't recall the OP saying that.

I had one encounter with the Polizei when I was in Germany. I was looking for a cache at a park and ride lot off a German highway when they happened to drive by, and they were evidently wondering whether I was thinking of breaking into a car. My German conversation skills were elementary at best, but the one officer spoke some English, saw the GPSr in my hand and said, "Ah, Geocaching!" and smiled as they drove off.

It might have been a longer conversation had they not known what geocaching was, but at the end of the day, I was happy it was a two minute conversation and not a longer one. I don't think they would have had enough to do anything other than ask me to move on, though.

Edited by hzoi

I'm just wondering how long it'll be before crimes get committed using geocaching as a guise.

I actually don't want LEOs to smile and shrug if someone merely says they're geocaching. All it takes is that one blind eye for a legitimate crime to be committed. Reasonable doubt is the thing. They should not be overbearing, but at least make a bit of an attempt to verify that we/I/they are indeed geocaching and not just carrying around a GPS as a cover.

As geocachers, some carry around a clipboard to hide from muggles the fact they're geocaching.

It shouldn't be that easy against LEOs to hide the fact a crime is being committed merely by carrying around a GPS.

"What are you doing?"

"None of your business."

Well said!

His reply:

I respect police as much as I respect anyone else in our society

So yes, i read his reply wrong. He isn't really saying that he respects cops, or anyone for that matter. Just that his level of respect for both is about the same. So with this in mind, does he try to avoid everyone who comes too close while he's geocaching? I mean, are they gonna waste his "valuable time" if they begin talking to him while he's caching? :unsure:

"What are you doing?"

"None of your business."

Well said!

His reply:

So yes, i read his reply wrong. He isn't really saying that he respects cops, or anyone for that matter. Just that his level of respect for both is about the same. So with this in mind, does he try to avoid everyone who comes too close while he's geocaching? I mean, are they gonna waste his "valuable time" if they begin talking to him while he's caching? :unsure:

Must be missing it, I didn't see the OP saying that either...

"What are you doing?"

"None of your business."

Well said!

His reply:

Must be missing it, I didn't see the OP saying that either...

DUH! I keep saying OP,, my mistake. :rolleyes: at myself.