Geocaching = Suspicious Activity

This is an amusing story that happened to me yesterday.

My girlfriend (Red_Lobster) and I were out caching near Banbury in the UK. And we were following the map to the next cache in the D'Abby Dash series. We went down a single track road as a shortcut. Wasnt a good short cut either. Soon after we are being followed by a rather large police vechile and near the next cache the lights come on.......... "Bo**ocks" I think is what I said.

We then entered into a comical low speed cache winding through the countryside while I panicked trying to find a safe spot to pull over. Oh wait theres a layby..... no its a junction. In the end I panicked and just parked on a gentle bend wondering if I was gonna end up in jail for drug trafficking, stealing my own car, murdering someone, etc.

So in my blind panic I thought id either open the window or get out the car. In the UK we dont tend to carry guns so the cops dont start screaming if you move around while they are approaching. So in the end I choose neither and open the door and sit there....... plank.

"Saw you coming out of *** lane. Whatcha been doing up there?"

"Ummm we are geocaching and took a really bad shortcut"

"That explains it. OK thanks just there some abadoned farm building up there"

"Its a public road though right?"

"Yes it is."

I then asked him some directions as we werent familiar with the area and we went our seperate ways. And that was it...... I got stopped by the cops for driving down a road.

Must have been a slow day. But like I've always said. If you encounter the boys in blue while caching and are polite and honest when answering questions more often than not you are on your way within minutes.

There have been a couple of times where I aroused the suspicion of security. One cache was in a Red Lobster parking lot and the coords put the cache right in the shrubbery in front of the building.

I sat in my car for a few minutes debating what to do. Luckily it was early Sunday morning so no one was around and the lack of spectators made me decide to push forward. So here I am, delicately moving through the shrubs when Mall security drives past.

They were probably 150-200 yards away but I saw they were watching me. I started concocting a story in my head about a friend's angry girlfriend throwing his phone in the bushes to explain myself but I was fortunate enough that they moved on.

I started concocting a story in my head about a friend's angry girlfriend throwing his phone in the bushes to explain myself but I was fortunate enough that they moved on.

Yes.... need to think up a story... in trouble if I don't....

Did ya ever think what happens when they call your bluff and find out you are lying? Maybe nothing.... maybe not nothing.....

Truth works pretty good most of the time.

Just yesterday I found the cache I was looking for just laying on the ground, picked it up signed the log when a PU truck drove up and the driver asked what I was doing as he was the property owner! I told him I was Geocaching showed him the cache and explained a little about what geocaching was, half expecting to have to leave with the cache. He said that he had been having problems with teenagers and since I'm well beyond that age no problem. I told him that the CO was supossed to have asked for premission before hiding a cache :huh: and he said they most likely asked his wife.

He told me to have fun and a good day and drove off. :D Rehid the cache and went on. Emailed the CO about everything. :D

Recently had a friend log one of mine, after an odd run-in with law enforcement...

Ever been stopped by a police officer while you were out geocaching? I had that a few times. This, however, was the first time that a few hours AFTER I was home and fully snoring away that I have had a knock at the door and two police officers waiting there to ask me why my vehicle was (legally) parked on a road (near a cache). After asking me a few questions and me answering "yup, that was me! I was there geocaching" they turned back to their cruiser with a distinct look of disappointment. Perhaps they were hoping to catch a criminal in the act of hiding away freshly stolen goods ...or, perhaps, as I choose to believe, they were hoping for the answer to the mystery of the valley of the sims [GC2B2ZN]. Either way, I have a new geocaching story to tell ;)

It is still hard to believe in those few, short minutes it took to find the cache some poor, scared muggle must have copied down my license plate number

They were out finding it at 4am however... :)

I've been stopped by the cops once and was honest he laughed and drove on. I also found in an urban area if you have a dog it makes it easier. I take my dog with me and carry a bag with me like I'm waiting for her to poop, most people avoid even looking lol.

I was stopped by the police at an entrance to a park with my 3 year old in tow because somebody had reported me for poking around in the bushes.

Completely understandable, considering the park was a stone's throw away from Manchester Airport. The cache was located just outside the exclusion zone. Literally, the exclusion zone started on the other side of the road. <_<

Logged it as a DNF, added it to the ignore list afterwards.

I was stopped by the police at an entrance to a park with my 3 year old in tow because somebody had reported me for poking around in the bushes.

Completely understandable, considering the park was a stone's throw away from Manchester Airport. The cache was located just outside the exclusion zone. Literally, the exclusion zone started on the other side of the road. dry.gif

Did you email the CO by chance? Perhaps this isn't a great location for a cache, even if it is legal. The threats to aviation right now are, unfortunately, very real, and there is just no sense attracting attention from the authorities - mostly they have better stuff to do.

Completely understandable, considering the park was a stone's throw away from Manchester Airport. The cache was located just outside the exclusion zone. Literally, the exclusion zone started on the other side of the road. dry.gif

Did you email the CO by chance? Perhaps this isn't a great location for a cache, even if it is legal. The threats to aviation right now are, unfortunately, very real, and there is just no sense attracting attention from the authorities - mostly they have better stuff to do.

I considered it, but CO hasn't logged in for a while.

Here's the airport exclusion zone: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=http:%2F%2Fwww.follow-the-arrow.co.uk%2Foverlays%2Fmanairport.kmz&sll=51.586582,-2.758539&sspn=0.00624,0.01929&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=13

Painswick Park is just at the top, and the exlusion zone applies to Thorley Lane. The cache (here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC23KF0) is located on the other side of the road. Literally just 30/40 ft away, there's a perfect place within the park and away from the main road for a cache.

I've been stopped by cops 3 times... in less than 2 months! I told them all what I was doing. Two said "oh, okay... just be careful".... and ONE made me LEAVE the area... without the cache. He had NO idea what geocaching is. And didn't want to learn! :laughing:

I considered it, but CO hasn't logged in for a while.

Here's the airport exclusion zone: http://maps.google.c...e=UTF8&t=h&z=13

Painswick Park is just at the top, and the exlusion zone applies to Thorley Lane. The cache (here: http://www.geocachin...aspx?wp=GC23KF0) is located on the other side of the road. Literally just 30/40 ft away, there's a perfect place within the park and away from the main road for a cache.

It's worth it to email the CO anyway - if they aren't active and no longer monitor email, well, you only wasted a little time. Likewise, you might consider emailing the local reviewer. Not to tell them "hey, this cache is a problem", just to let them know what happened. Perhaps what happened to you was a weird one-off type of event, and the next 100 finders will nave not a problem. Or maybe the cops will watch this spot heavily and cause problems for many other finders. In the latter case it's good for the reviewer to know to maybe keep an eye on the cache, especially if the CO really is absent. I would start with the CO though.

I've been stopped by cops 3 times... in less than 2 months! I told them all what I was doing. Two said "oh, okay... just be careful".... and ONE made me LEAVE the area... without the cache. He had NO idea what geocaching is. And didn't want to learn! :laughing:

Just out of curiosity, why'd the one make you leave the area. If people aren't really supposed to be in that area, then perhaps a note to the CO is in order. Or perhaps the area was fine and you were simply parked in an area where you shouldn't have or something?

This is an amusing story that happened to me yesterday.

My girlfriend (Red_Lobster) and I were out caching near Banbury in the UK. And we were following the map to the next cache in the D'Abby Dash series. We went down a single track road as a shortcut. Wasnt a good short cut either. Soon after we are being followed by a rather large police vechile and near the next cache the lights come on.......... "Bo**ocks" I think is what I said.

We then entered into a comical low speed cache winding through the countryside while I panicked trying to find a safe spot to pull over. Oh wait theres a layby..... no its a junction. In the end I panicked and just parked on a gentle bend wondering if I was gonna end up in jail for drug trafficking, stealing my own car, murdering someone, etc.

So in my blind panic I thought id either open the window or get out the car. In the UK we dont tend to carry guns so the cops dont start screaming if you move around while they are approaching. So in the end I choose neither and open the door and sit there....... plank.

"Saw you coming out of *** lane. Whatcha been doing up there?"

"Ummm we are geocaching and took a really bad shortcut"

"That explains it. OK thanks just there some abadoned farm building up there"

"Its a public road though right?"

"Yes it is."

I then asked him some directions as we werent familiar with the area and we went our seperate ways. And that was it...... I got stopped by the cops for driving down a road.

Must have been a slow day. But like I've always said. If you encounter the boys in blue while caching and are polite and honest when answering questions more often than not you are on your way within minutes.

Honesty == Best Policy

I was toodling around backroads, among nut tree plantations and stopping to make a couple finds. I didn't see the approaching truck until after the second cache find. I turned down a lane and stopped in a layby and a deputy sheriff pulled up and asked what I was doing .. without a second of hesitation, "I'm geocaching." He knew exactly what it was and we enjoyed a good laugh as I pointed out my current objective, beyond a mire and out of reach. Told him of the few he had seen me looking for and he was off and I was left to plot my next objective.

I've been quizzed a few times, but never had any trouble. Private security, on the other waffle, that's where I grumble about hides in private parking lots, where private parking is the only available parking or private property must be crossed to make a find.

Just out of curiosity, why'd the one make you leave the area. If people aren't really supposed to be in that area, then perhaps a note to the CO is in order. Or perhaps the area was fine and you were simply parked in an area where you shouldn't have or something?

I've been asked to leave an area by a LEO while I was caching. I was searching for a cache at the Botanical Gardens in Brussels and a LEO told me I had to leave as the park was closing for the day.

There is no telling.

I have a saying...." During the day geocaching is a suspicious looking activity, At night it appears evil. "

In 10 years we've night-cached less than 6-8 times and on about half those have been stopped by police ( and we're a middle aged couple and should " profile " well )....its a good reason not to cache at night but I doubt I'd do much of it anyway. During the day there have been very few problems however we are stopped from time to time and questioned ( politely ) by LEO's even when walking in public places. I always have a nice chat with them and tell them about geocaching and give them cards and sometimes a geocoin. I have to tell you, though, that being stopped bums me out a bit ( like I said, I don't show it ). The U.S. is a free country and it irks me that I'm being stopped while walking on public property and not doing anything that could be remotely seen to be illegal....I mean, I like the police but surely they have better things to do.

Police do respond to calls and a lot of folks have nose trouble. About a month ago we were returning to our room just after dark and stopped for a quick grab that turned out tricky and took a few minutes....someone reported us ( the officer told us )and the police came......he knew nothing about geocaching so a long conversation ensued....I grabed the small mg-container and stuck it to the police car to show him how it worked and in the end all was fine but he actually made the suggestion that the best thing was for us to return to the motel. Now had I told him we were trying to catch a firefly I assume I would have got a funny look but it would have ended quickly.

It is my opinion ( and I think the writers of our constitution as well ) that unless I am doing something illegal I should not be stopped,questioned,or interfered with by local, state, or federal officials....if a private citizen wishes to pass the time of day, thats different.

I started concocting a story in my head about a friend's angry girlfriend throwing his phone in the bushes to explain myself but I was fortunate enough that they moved on.

Yes.... need to think up a story... in trouble if I don't....

Did ya ever think what happens when they call your bluff and find out you are lying? Maybe nothing.... maybe not nothing.....

Truth works pretty good most of the time.

Yeah, I thought of that. Since I was trespassing on private property I figured my story would give me a better chance of getting off the hook than telling them what I was actually doing.

The way I look at it, as honest as Geocaching is I don't think everyone would be okay with it, especially near the back door of a Red Lobster at 7am on a Sunday morning.

In all honesty I probably would've told the truth anyway. I had nothing to hide. It was amusing to me thinking out the scenario of explaining my presence to the security guards.

I've been asked to leave an area by a LEO while I was caching. I was searching for a cache at the Botanical Gardens in Brussels and a LEO told me I had to leave as the park was closing for the day.

I realized after I typed it that my post might have sounded judgemental like "were you doing something wrong?" Apologies to ohmelli if that is the case - it was not intended that way at all.

Yeah, I've been stopped by the police several times when I was in a park late at night. Once they asked me to leave, other times they didn't. In the case where they asked me to leave, I pointed to the sign that explcitly stated that after hours hiking was allowed, and told them that I was comfortable staying there. Normally I just do as the nice officer asks - but seriously, there was a sign, a big sign, RIGHT BY THEM, that said it was OK for me to be there! They had called 2-3 cars, lol. (Sadly the city later changed the policies and now you have to make an appointment to use that park at all.)

I'm an LEO and new to GeoCaching, so I can kind of give you the "other perspective." Here in Arizona we're dealing with a lot of metal theft (as is everywhere in the U.S.) When we see someone poking around the edges of a fence or park, the first thought is "looking for metal". Also, the very nature of stealth caching (posting lookouts, parking away from the target, etc.) would naturally be suspicious.

Be honest with any LEO that stops you. Point him towards this website, explain what the hobby is. Show him your GPS or phone so he can see that you're actually tracking a cache and not just making up a crazy story. And realize that many LEOs just revert to their "Alpha Male" tendency when challenged with something that they've never heard of before and say "well, you need to leave." Just leave and try another method to educate him and his agency at a later time. Better to log a DNF than get a trespassing ticket.

I'm off the road now, working Robbery/Homicide. But I look back to how I would have responded to GeoCaching a few years ago when I was still on patrol. I probably would have joined in the hunt! But I'm a bit of the exception to the rule.

I'm an LEO and new to GeoCaching, so I can kind of give you the "other perspective." Here in Arizona we're dealing with a lot of metal theft (as is everywhere in the U.S.) When we see someone poking around the edges of a fence or park, the first thought is "looking for metal". Also, the very nature of stealth caching (posting lookouts, parking away from the target, etc.) would naturally be suspicious.

Be honest with any LEO that stops you. Point him towards this website, explain what the hobby is. Show him your GPS or phone so he can see that you're actually tracking a cache and not just making up a crazy story. And realize that many LEOs just revert to their "Alpha Male" tendency when challenged with something that they've never heard of before and say "well, you need to leave." Just leave and try another method to educate him and his agency at a later time. Better to log a DNF than get a trespassing ticket.

I'm off the road now, working Robbery/Homicide. But I look back to how I would have responded to GeoCaching a few years ago when I was still on patrol. I probably would have joined in the hunt! But I'm a bit of the exception to the rule.

LEOs get absolute honesty from me. The last time a PCSO (Tucson area) pulled behind me, I showed him my app, the cache, my name on the log sheet, my name on my car tb,,,the whole shebang!

Of all the LEOs I've come in contact with, the border patrol seems to know the most about geocaching.

I'd say probably caches around "high profile" areas, such as government buildings, airports (mentioned above), college campuses and near abandoned buildings or closed businesses. Also anything around electronic, lighting or water pumping stations where thieves would go to steal metal for scrap value. That would be my opinion. It may be a bit different in different areas.

Someone standing at the corner of a community park holding a GPS wouldn't be near as suspicious as someone ducking down in a darkened corner of a closed commercial building at night.

A good idea might be to keep a few of the various info sheets I've found on this forum with this website to hand to any police officer that contacts you.

I have yet to encounter police in almost an entire year of caching. Is there a certain type of hide that is more likely to raise suspicion? Or is it just a "right place at the right time" thing?

Wrong place wrong time. My first one was just a simple fence post cache on a secluded road with parking. The road was behind a Target, and it was future development that never came to be.

I pulled off into parking spot, grabbed cache, SL, got back into my car to write my log and seek out my next cache when the LEO pulled up behind me, and 2 more SUVs surrounded my car just after that.

Like I said--> absolute honesty!! I even showed hm the cache.

Turns out, it was a nearby trucker who was parked well over .25mi away. He sees cars park there all the time, get out, get back in and drive away. they thought it was a drug drop or something. I didn't even notice the trucker as he was on the other side of a wash!

For the border patrol, we just triggered the sensors while out in the desert.

Edited by JesandTodd

Sorry for bumping such an old thread. But I'd rather bump it than create clutter.

This is why I always carry a radio with me. If I hear some nosy person calling the cops for "suspicious activity" then I would just go ahead and leave. My time is too valuable to waste being stopped and questioned by a LEO when I'm not doing anything illegal.

You can even use the radio to talk to your friend. The radio is a Baofeng UV-5R. They run for about $30 online. Just plug in a frequency for GMRS/FRS/MURS. If you use GMRS you have to have a license to be "legal". On FRS you are also transmitting illegally due to high power and removable antenna. But, really..who is gonna know? lol.

So with the Baofeng UV-5R you can plug in police and fire frequencies as well. Be sure to use the CHIRP program to disable transmit and set it for receive ONLY. You don't want to accidentally transmit on these frequencies.

Sorry for bumping such an old thread. But I'd rather bump it than create clutter.

This is why I always carry a radio with me. If I hear some nosy person calling the cops for "suspicious activity" then I would just go ahead and leave. My time is too valuable to waste being stopped and questioned by a LEO when I'm not doing anything illegal.

You can even use the radio to talk to your friend. The radio is a Baofeng UV-5R. They run for about $30 online. Just plug in a frequency for GMRS/FRS/MURS. If you use GMRS you have to have a license to be "legal". On FRS you are also transmitting illegally due to high power and removable antenna. But, really..who is gonna know? lol.

So with the Baofeng UV-5R you can plug in police and fire frequencies as well. Be sure to use the CHIRP program to disable transmit and set it for receive ONLY. You don't want to accidentally transmit on these frequencies.

I simply don't worry about it. The number times I have been stopped by a LEO you can count on one hand with fingers to spare. All have been pleasant and polite exchanges. Several times I'm sure I've been watched by LEO's and either they knew what was up or just didn't care. The most difficult exchange was with a county road worker that was convinced I was stealing his stop sign and not getting the micro out of the pole that was hung with some wire.

Moblie use of a police scanner is not legal in some places, so the radio idea would attract attention. :ph34r:

So who would know? Maybe a law enforcement officer. :anibad:

I've posted this story before but I was geocaching in Rome last summer and went to find a cache near the Colosseum. There are a gazillion people walking around and it was one of those caches where one can see the obvious hiding spot from 100' away. It has often been said here that the best way to avoid looking suspicious is to not try to be "stealthy" but just walk up to the cache as if you belong there and that's what I did. What made this LEO encounter different was that the LEO that saw me find the cache, write something on a piece of paper, and put something back into a hole in the wall was not in uniform. As I walked away I saw someone walked toward GZ with what appeared to be a GPSr on his belt. It wasn't a GPS. It's was his police radio. When he got close to the hidey hole he looked back at me and I nodded, smiled and pointed to the spot, thinking he was just another geocacher. The other thing that made the encounter different was that when a police car pulled over next to me a few 100' down the road, when the LEOs got out (the one I saw previously was holding the cache) they started to ask me about what I was doing in Italian. I know very little Italian and it seemed that they didn't understand much English. After a few minutes they went over and asked a nearby street vendor to help translate. I was able to explain the game to him, and eventually one of the LEOs was able to connect to the GS web site and read enough about the game to determine that I wasn't doing anything wrong. When they told me I could go I offered to return the cache but they said they would do it. Apparently they did because the cache had quite a few more finds over the next few days.

The incident taught me a couple of lessons. Even when you're doing nothing wrong, if you're in a place where there are lots of tourists, there may be plain clothes policemen that spend their day watching for *anything* that might be suspicious. They seemed to be especially suspicious of the names and dates the pieces of paper in the cache.

I probably could have avoided what felt like a lengthy uncomfortable situation if I would have had a few of those "What is Geocaching?" brochures in the native language.

I simply don't worry about it. The number times I have been stopped by a LEO you can count on one hand with fingers to spare. All have been pleasant and polite exchanges. Several times I'm sure I've been watched by LEO's and either they knew what was up or just didn't care. The most difficult exchange was with a county road worker that was convinced I was stealing his stop sign and not getting the micro out of the pole that was hung with some wire.

We've been stopped several times but have never had an unpleasant experience. There have always been the few questions, and some times, the asking for identification. Nothing ever remotely annoying,, well, except for the occasional rolling of their eyes when we explained geocaching. :lol:

When i see threads like these, i always have the feeling that the OP, or in this case, the TB (thread bumper), has some issue with law enforcement. I'm certainly not trying to imply that they're criminals or that they hate cops, but i do think, for some reason, they fear and/or distrust law enforcement.

That's your takeaway? I must hate cops because I wish to not be detained? No, I respect police as much as I respect anyone else in our society. I don't give them any extra respect just because they are a cop though. The worst thing you can ever do is answer a cop's questions. If you only learn one thing from this thread it is this:

Don't answer questions. Avoid interactions with law enforcement.

And no, I've never had a bad experience with a cop as I'm sure you are assuming. They've all been pleasant interactions. But it's best to avoid them.

To the guy who said it's illegal to have a scanner in your car? You're incorrect. Only in 2-3 states are there laws about it. In those states get a ham radio license. Then you don't have to worry about it as ham operators are exempted. I have an Extra class radio license. But it has nothing to do with meeting the letter of the law as it's legal for anyone to operate a scanner in a motor vehicle.

Have a good day.

Edited by Pinballwiz

That's your takeaway? I must hate cops because I wish to not be detained? No, I respect police as much as I respect anyone else in our society. I don't give them any extra respect just because they are a cop though. The worst thing you can ever do is answer a cop's questions. If you only learn one thing from this thread it is this:

I don't trust law enforcement, and sill find this to be rather poor advice . . . unless you are suspected of a crime. Is that your problem?

And no, I've never had a bad experience with a cop as I'm sure you are assuming. They've all been pleasant interactions. But it's best to avoid them.

To the guy who said it's illegal to have a scanner in your car? You're incorrect. Only in 2-3 states are there laws about it. In those states get a ham radio license. Then you don't have to worry about it as ham operators are exempted. I have an Extra class radio license. But it has nothing to do with meeting the letter of the law as it's legal for anyone to operate a scanner in a motor vehicle.

Have a good day.

This is begging the question: Why? Why is conversing with a cop "the worst thing you can ever do"? As an LEO myself, I would say unholstering a concealed pistol would trump your "answering questions" as the worst thing you could ever do, by a long shot. :rolleyes:

Have a good day.

This is begging the question: Why? Why is conversing with a cop "the worst thing you can ever do"? As an LEO myself, I would say unholstering a concealed pistol would trump your "answering questions" as the worst thing you could ever do, by a long shot. :rolleyes:

Because there have been so many people innocent people imprisoned for something they didn't do. Which started with them "incriminating" themselves without them even knowing it. Anything you say WILL be used against you. Nothing you say can be used to HELP you...

Haha, you got me there though with the weapon comment. That is a very bad idea. Lol. When I've been pulled over I always make sure to state that I am armed and where my weapon is.

I don't trust law enforcement, and sill find this to be rather poor advice . . . unless you are suspected of a crime. Is that your problem?

No I won't. But you might regret it someday.

https://youtu.be/6wXkI4t7nuc

This video should be required watching in school.

Have a good day.

Because there have been so many people innocent people imprisoned for something they didn't do. Which started with them "incriminating" themselves without them even knowing it. Anything you say WILL be used against you. Nothing you say can be used to HELP you...

Haha, you got me there though with the weapon comment. That is a very bad idea. Lol. When I've been pulled over I always make sure to state that I am armed and where my weapon is.

Well, anything you say can be used against you in a court of law. If someone is giving a LEO probable cause that a crime is being committed, then you would be Mirandized. Simply stating that you are geocaching, when not under arrest, when that's all you are doing will only help you. I'm not up on the statistics, but I think I can say in confidence that there aren't many (any) geocachers out there lingering in prisons for geocaching.

I would not trust a geocacher armed with a concealed firearm and a police scanner our acting suspicious and avoiding law enforcement.

I also don't agree with not answering questions if confronted and questioned by law enforcement.

I'm just going to exit this thread and mark it as DFTT. <_<

Cool story bro.

Have a good day.

Well, anything you say can be used against you in a court of law. If someone is giving a LEO probable cause that a crime is being committed, then you would be Mirandized. Simply stating that you are geocaching, when not under arrest, when that's all you are doing will only help you. I'm not up on the statistics, but I think I can say in confidence that there aren't many (any) geocachers out there lingering in prisons for geocaching.

The only reason I came to this thread was that I hear all the time on my police scanner, people calling 911 to report a "suspicious activity." It got me thinking about geocaching and how many times that has happened to someone.

Look, my time is valuable. I'm not wasting it being detained and being interrogated. I usually carry a ham radio with me in my pack so if I hear a call I'll just leave and give a stink eye to whoever probably called. If it ever happens.

If just one person watches that video I'll be happy. Especially the resident LEO. Maybe he'll see where I'm coming from. I'm not the bad guys. I'm a red blooded American and I'll be dammed if I give up my rights.

Edited by Pinballwiz

Have a good day.

If you read my post correctly, you'd see that i didn't say you hated cops.

As far as your advice to not answer questions,, see where that gets you. :o Letting law enforcement know what i'm doing is the first thing i do in the event i get stopped.

As far as being respectful to cops, i tend to give them more than the average person. Yes, there are bad cops but i figure the percentage of them are far less than what i encounter in the general public. Honestly, my feeling of being careful/suspicious is the same for most everyone i meet. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt but i won't go too far giving away information to people i first meet. Law enforcement asking routine questions such as, what are you doing, where ya from, or can i see your ID,, no problem.

A cop asked me something like, how's your sex life,, nah. :blink:

Being suspicious, you will look this way if you try to conceal what you're doing. While i don't want to give away a cache to muggles, i usually walk right up like i own the place when i try for a cache. People don't even seem to notice me when i do this.

As an Extra you should know the world is bigger than just the US. Here it's illegal to listen to police/fire/air... or anything else "non public". Law enforcement uses digital encryption here too (look up "Astrid"). Hams here are not exempt in any way.

On the other hand, police shootings are still "news" here and not a daily habit <_< In fact you can talk to them just like humans :ph34r:

As an Extra you should know the world is bigger than just the US. Here it's illegal to listen to police/fire/air... or anything else "non public". Law enforcement uses digital encryption here too (look up "Astrid"). Hams here are not exempt in any way.

On the other hand, police shootings are still "news" here and not a daily habit <_< In fact you can talk to them just like humans :ph34r:

Indeed, I know a few cachers in the UK who have been asked what they were doing by the Police, and when they explained the Police officers helped them look for the cache.

To be honest if your time is so preious Pinballwiz, I can't think of many things more likely to drag out an encounter with the cops than "refusing to answer questions".....

No need for "Geocaching is not a crime" bumper stickers yet?

I would not trust a geocacher armed with a concealed firearm and a police scanner our acting suspicious and avoiding law enforcement.

Why bring a separate police scanner along? They have an app for that.

I have yet to have my first LEO encounter, but did have an ambulance pull up as I was looking for a guard rail cache and ask if me if I was OK. Apparently someone called it in. :huh:

Was I supposed to hit every scanner law in the world? No. But thanks for the info if I ever travel to the UK. Your scanner laws are draconian.

Indeed, I know a few cachers in the UK who have been asked what they were doing by the Police, and when they explained the Police officers helped them look for the cache.

To be honest if your time is so preious Pinballwiz, I can't think of many things more likely to drag out an encounter with the cops than "refusing to answer questions".....

Actually, the encounter goes by just the same. They can't force you to answer a question besides stuff like your name, let me see an ID.

The problem with most citizens is that they are quite content and snappy to give up all their rights because they feel compelled that they HAVE to answer an officer because they feel they'll look bad for not answering? See how that makes no sense. If you have nothing to hide, you still don't answer questions. You never answer questions. Obviously there are exceptions...use your own common sense and watch that video I posted.