Waymarking and BadgeGen

Can i, living in the Netherlands, receive a badge for Waymarking?

It isn't (financially) possible for me to go to the USA for Benchmarks. I did find over 10 Waymarks to try to get a Badge of Waymarking. I did load several waymarks in GSAK that works. I see GSAK did load the waymarks but placed it as not found. Why placed GSAK an Waymark found into a not found?

I ran the macro GadgeGen.gsk and there's no finds in the 'YOU HAVE' column.

How do i solve the problem to turn a not found into found in GSAK?

How do I get the Bagde Waymarking at all?

Why should I go on with Waymarking if I can't receive a Badge for it?

Regards, Greetz,

Wout a.k.a. Great4fun

How do i solve the problem to turn a not found into found in GSAK?

How do I get the Bagde Waymarking at all?

Why should I go on with Waymarking if I can't receive a Badge for it?

Three very interesting questions, indeed! Especially the third one...

I must confess, I had no idea what you were talking about, and I guess I am not the only one. After some googling around I came to the conclusion, that you better ask questions one and two in the GSAK forum, because this seems to be a GSAK macro issue that is not related to Waymarking as such.

I do vaguely remember having seen such a Waymarking badge once, but only once, and I don't remember who it was; it looks like most regular waymarkers do not care much about these things. However, according to the BadgeGen web site the first badge is for 20 visited waymarks, not ten. So there is still some work ahead for you :)

This leaves us with the third question.

My personal answer would be: Because this game - as I play it - is not about badges, but everyone can play it the way she/he likes. Why not badge hunting?

#1/ You better ask questions one and two in the GSAK forum, because this seems to be a GSAK macro issue that is not related to Waymarking as such.

#2/ According to the BadgeGen web site the first badge is for 20 visited waymarks

#3/ the third question... ...Why not badge hunting?

#1/ I will soon... Thanks for the tip.

#2/ I understand that I need 20 WM's for a badge. But... why doesn't count GSAK not the first ten founds? And then say, you need 10 WM to go up a level.

#3/ Never seen this badge in another profile. Why did/do they show this Badge anyway?

Why can't we urn this Badge if GSAK doesn't support it?

Maybe some basics first: There is Groundspeak, the company behind Geocaching.com and Waymarking.com. And there is GSAK, a software that helps you manage your geocaching and Waymarking history offline. These two profit from each other but are not connected. GSAK provides an interface that lets independent programmers create fancy additions like badges or colored maps and much more. But they are independent and not affiliated with GSAK and not with Groundspeak.

These badges may look cool, but they are nothing official. If you are a good designer you can create your own ones. Nobody will complain about it.

The only "official" Waymarking "badge" is the one on everyone's profile page. Everything else is a third party creation and if something does not work as expected, they are the ones to fix it. Groundspeak cannot do anything about it.

SOLVED...

I'd search on GSAK forum and found this treath.

Go to GSAK, load the Waymarks GPX/LOC/ZIP...

(click File -upper left- then ctrl+O) files and they're published between the caches,

Go to a file WMcode...

Right click the WMcode and go to:

CACHE STATUS > and click on Set to found.

GSAK > Macro > Run/Manage > Run BadgeGen.gsk of Ky.m.guy and there they are 11 founds...

I can continou find WayMarks tot urn a badge.

Thanks Fi67 for given me the tip to go to GSAK Forum (didn't think of it)

Badges for Waymarking ave very mild criteria. In comparison for example with webcams, Ape, Benchmark, Virtual, which are very difficult to find - for Diamond Waymarking just only 350 visits.

BTW: GSAK is not only software with Waymarking support, free GeoGet can also this.

Badges for Waymarking ave very mild criteria. In comparison for example with webcams, Ape, Benchmark, Virtual, which are very difficult to find - for Diamond Waymarking just only 350 visits.

I hope they will stay as they are, so the badge hunters can write just 350 "visited while geocaching" logs and go away.

I hope they will stay as they are, so the badge hunters can write just 350 "visited while geocaching" logs and go away.

:laughing: You cynic.

Hello everybody!

I did get a way to include Waymarking in GSAK and BadgeGen.

First of all, i decided to Import all my found waymarks into a different database because WMxxxxx cannot be updated via the geocaching.com-API and therefore are quite problematic in your Caches-found-database.

After that i just changed the BadgeGen Macro to look into my Waymarking-DB before counting the "founds" - i will, in the near future, (again) contact the author of BadgeGen and ask him to include my ideas into the macro.

What you could do to make this work would be:

1. Look for the following line in BadgeGen.gsk:

$Waym = Val(Sqlite("sql","Select count(distinct code) from caches where found and CacheType='Y'"))

2. Change it to:

DATABASE name=<WhatEverTheNameOfYourWaymarkingDBWouldBeY>
$Waym = Val(Sqlite("sql","Select count(distinct code) from caches where found and CacheType='Y'"))
DATABASE name=$Editbox

If you have any further questions or remarks just answer to this post or send me a direct mail via geocaching.com

Cheers

Kai

Edited by seekon

What you could do to make this work would be:

1. Look for the following line in BadgeGen.gsk:

2. Change it to:

DATABASE name=<WhatEverTheNameOfYourWaymarkingDBWouldBeY>
DATABASE name=$Editbox

If you have any further questions or remarks just answer to this post or send me a direct mail via geocaching.com

Cheers

Kai

Wow .. Kai, this sounds good.

But are you sure this will work? Looking at your SQL, you added basically just switch to separate (Waymarking) database and back.

Line between remains the same, didn't you want to re-code it?

I may test it and have a try once I'll be on another laptop with GSAK installed.

Issue with badge for Waymarking is, that macro counts found logs in database - and there are no found logs imported along with Waymarking .gpx file. There is a Create log macro available, that can be used to add found log to each waymark I have in database - however this is very time consuming, logs must be created one-by-one, each takes minute or two. That's how I've got Diamond WM badge to my profile .. :rolleyes:

I should rather be smarter to tweak with that line of macro code, instead of spending hours of 'creating' logs in database .. :blink:

I may test it and have a try once I'll be on another laptop with GSAK installed.

I couldn't resist to try it immediatelly .... BOOOOOM !!! How easy! B)

DATABASE name="WhateverNameOfYourVisitedWaymarkingDatabase"
$Waym = Val(Sqlite("sql","Select count(distinct code) from caches where CacheType='Y'"))
DATABASE name=$Editbox

It works like a charm, I just written DB name in between "" and removed "found and" condition.

I should have been thinking for a while and doing it this way - loooong time ago ...

In case someone's curious what are these badges about: badgegen.com