Pocket Queries for HiWays

KaiserKlan

I'd love to see it. I'm going to West Virginia in a few weeks- it would be great if I didn't have to figure out what caches were close to the route I'm driving. I'm using Mapsource but it's very time consuming to manually figure it out. I was in Maine this summer, and some of the caches that I thought would be close to my route, actually were out of the way. Would love to be able to do a pocket query and get this info!!

The problem with using GPSBabel, of course, is that it's nearly impossible to get a database of all of the caches that might be within a mile of I-70 between KC and DC. If only we could download a .loc file for an entire state....

Not that I don't love the feature in GPSBabel. I should love it; I wrote it. I'm glad someone else finally noticed it's there. icon_smile.gif

pirate.cgi.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

The problem with using GPSBabel, of course, is that it's nearly impossible to get a database of all of the caches that _might_ be within a mile of I-70 between KC and DC. If only we could download a .loc file for an entire state....

I think you're right. We don't have this problem in the Netherlands. You can download all caches in the Netherlands easily in 2 Pocket Queries :-).

BigBird icon_smile.gif

CMLogo_Transparent_Dark_Medium.gif

This would be a very nice feature. The last time I went on a trip I created several PQ's along the route, merged them in Watcher, converted them to .csv with GPSBabel, loaded them to Streets and Trips, selected the caches I wanted along the route, then filtered with Watcher.

Whew. It took a little bit of time but I had a good highway list. If a PQ could automate the process, I'd love it.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

Well, GPSBabel can do the merge as it goes, so there's one less step. S&T can pull "pushpins along the entire route" - I use that feature frequently. I'm very interested in hearing how you got Watcher to include just the pins that S&T decided was along the route. That's a trick I'd like to know.

P.S. Use "s_and_t", not "csv" when choosing your output format and it'll keep linky links. See the detailed page on http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net for more S&T info.

Originally posted by robertlipe:

Well, GPSBabel can do the merge as it goes, so there's one less step. S&T can pull "pushpins along the entire route" - I use that feature frequently. I'm very interested in hearing how you got Watcher to include just the pins that S&T decided was along the route. That's a trick I'd like to know.

How does one "pull pushpins along the entire route"?

YeOleImposter.DoesntExist.com