NiMH battery longevity

I bought my 1st GPS, a Garmin Legend, back in 2005 and started off using re-chargable Alkalines - bad idea. About the same time I bought a Minolta A100 camera off EBay and it came with (used) Nimh batteries. I decided NiMH was the way to go and based up Steve's Digicams reviews, I purchased a LaCrosse BC900 charger and eventually settled upon Sanyo Enerloops low discharge batteries. My camera(s), remotes, everything I own that uses AA or AAA is powered by NiMH, even the electronic bug swatters (look like a big ping pong racquet). And this brings me to the subject.

The batteries in the picture date to at least 2005 and for at least 3 years I have been only using them at the cottage for the bug swatters. This means they are only charged several times in the summer and then lie idle for at least 8 months, likely the least efficient way to use rechargeable batteries. A couple of weeks ago I retrieved them and used my city (LaCrosse) charger in the "refresh" mode. It took 4 1/2 days (yes, DAYS) until all four batteries show "full".

Yesterday I put the Titanium AA's into my Oregon 550 and they lasted 12 hrs before red low indicator, and 13.5 hours before the unit went blank. This performance is at least 4-5 hrs more than I get with Enerloops, mind you, the Titaniums are higher capacity. Next I'll try the Sanyo 1850s.

Tried the Sanyo 1850s, a little over 5hrs before 1 green bar, just before the red bar warning.

All this to say that if you use an good charger, NiMH batteries will last a long, long time making them an sensible economical choice.

nimh.jpg

I buy whatever HC is on sale ... Use a cheap charger... And I still save big time over regular batts. I do pay attention to that "one" battery in the set that dies early, and sort them accordingly . ( I also always carry one set of real batteries if the recharged set doesn't make it as long as I expected. )

And I'm with you... Everything in my world runs on HiMH batteries.

Tons written here about this but a high quality charger makes a big difference.

The Sanyo Eneloop high capacity ( I forget if 2200 or 2500..Black ) is superior to any I've ever used and I experiment a lot. My 450 set to bright and on most of the time goes around 10 hr and the 62S has never run down ( in a long day of caching).

I also have a 62S and I am thinking about getting a good recharger. Only problem is, I dont know good from bad when it comes to selecting a "Good Charger". Can some one help me out. What I really want to know is the best combination of battery and charger.

Good advice above.

However, I think this is the ultimate combination: Maha C-9000 charger, and Imedion LSD 2400 mAh cells.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B0042IE9MQ

http://www.memoryexp...roducts/MX37533

As I mentioned elsewhere, my C-9000 is keeping some tired old Energizer cells going well past five years of heavy-duty caching, and they just won't die. Charger gets a lot of the credit for that.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/

This is my source for batteries and chargers.

I like the MAHA chargers best and have used them for years...I have a C9000, C801D, and C401FS-DC.

I've never got a comfort level with the C9000 ( need to play with it more) and almost always use the C801...if cost is an issue the C401 is excellent...I take it on the road.

Again, use high capacity low discharge NIMH...The MAHA Imedion should be fine although my first venture in to the LSD has been the Eneloops.

Most important one for NiMH battery longevity!

Never use a high current charger which treats several batteries in series! They must be treated separately or there is a severe risk for overcharging/overheating.

I generally only use slow (< C/10) chargers. Have batteries from Y2K which still work fine.

Edited by tr_s
The Sanyo Eneloop high capacity ( I forget if 2200 or 2500..Black ) is superior to any I've ever used and I experiment a lot.

I have the Eneloop XX as well (2500 mAh). By % cost, they may not appear to be worth it (100% more cost for 25% more capacity), but in terms of $, it is not a lot. I use them exclusively in my Oregon 450 now.

Edited by Chrysalides

Bought my first couple sets of AA NIMHs about 6 years ago (no name 2600 maH "camcorder" batteries) and have been using a Ray-o-vac NIMH charger.

After the initial charge, I kept my eye on the charger (1 battery per charging spot) and watched to see which batteries charged first. The first two I marked the top with a permanent marker, then the next two with a different marking, and so on. I now have 8 sets that I rotate between, so they all have approximately the same usage.

After 6 years, the first couple sets are starting to show their age. Instead of getting 12-14 hours per charge, I'm getting around 8 hours. Still OK for NIMHs this old.

-----

Last year, I bought a bunch of supposedly 2500 maH AA NIHMs on eBay (from China.) Not surprisingly, the batteries I received where counterfeit, physically a lot lighter than my regulars AA NIMHs. I would guess they're the 600-800 maH batteries used in those cheap solar powered sidewalk lights.

What was surprising is that they seem to work well in my 60Cx, getting 6-8 hours of use. No bad for cheap counterfeit batteries. I figure, for the cheap price, if I get two uses from each set, they break-even with the cheap batteries you can get from dollar stores.