Container Design for Sea Cave

I've searched the Forums for information on this topic but can't seem to find anything.

I'm looking for ideas to make a suitable container to place in a sea cave. It will not be submerged when the cache is visited but sea will cover it during high tides. It needs to be waterproof and needs to be held in place or anchored down.

Any ideas or leads?.

I've noticed a similar box to the otter box at Wal-Mart and Fred Meyers. It's a clear plasitc like a nalgene bottle, and it snaps shut on the top. They are sold as first aid kits and empty boxes. They are aorund $5-10 depending on size.

When looking into these boxes, take into account small bits of exposed metal in the hinges and clasps. Salt water will find any bit of metal and rust it in no time. Having this problem with one of the Walmart boxes now. It will be especially bad in a sea cave where it alternates in and out of the water. I'd go with the more expensive box the scuba divers suggest.

1336382892[/url]' post='5034168']

Try this Otter Water Tight Box # 2000 Series , I am a scuba diver and we used these while diving and they are not too expensive either.

I second this on the otter boxes. I have used them personally for various things from camera equipment to iPhones to caches and they are sturdy waterproof containers. They're good down to 100 feet at least.

Add another endorsement from me. I've got one that I've strapped and tethered to the deck of my kayak, put my wallet and cell phone into it, then spent several hours out kayaking, occasionally going upside down and rolling back up, and it was dry inside when I opened it back up.

Depending on the exact type of the Pelican or Otter Box, it may have a pressure-equalization hole with Gore-tex in it that will cause water to accumulate inside after prolonged submersion. They work great for a couple of hours but fail completely after a period of several days. You will note that all the enthusiastic endorsements in this thread are from people who do not leave them submerged for long periods.

My recommendation is a lexan water bottle if you insist on having a container at the spot. I would much prefer the permanent tag with final coords elsewhere, though.

You will note that all the enthusiastic endorsements in this thread are from people who do not leave them submerged for long periods.

Not to mention that the container would be subjected to the incessant pounding of the waves that created the sea-cave in the first place.

Would you really think some flimsy man-made plastic item is going to hold up where solid rock could not?

I would make it a multi, with something very sturdy (like a metal plate with engraved numbers) leading to a safer location outside the cave where the quality of the container will be less of a problem.

You will note that all the enthusiastic endorsements in this thread are from people who do not leave them submerged for long periods.

Not to mention that the container would be subjected to the incessant pounding of the waves that created the sea-cave in the first place.

Would you really think some flimsy man-made plastic item is going to hold up where solid rock could not?

quoted for truth