Wanna buy a Meridian GPS Paperweight?

Skippy2

I did the firmware update (to v4.02)

Now the unit (Magellan Meridian GPS) powers up, I get one screen message that says "Magellan Meridian, etc. etc. Come visit web site at etc. etc. etc. It DOES say that it is v4.02

When I hit ENTER The next screen says Press Enter to Agree, etc. etc.

When I hit Enter The next screen says the unit is not initialized, when I press Enter to initialize, the screen goes blank and stays blank. Hitting power button results in nothing.

When I remove the batteries and hit the power button, I go through the same set of screens as described above.

So - bases on my experiences today, I would say that doing the firmware update to v4.02 has given me a nice looking paperweight.

I have heard of more problems concerning upgrading the Meridian software, I swear...I did an upgrade to my MeriPlat, took it out for a cache, and it was WAY off. I have since returned to the original 3.12 version and it has gotten me within 2 or 3 feet of caches now.

Are you sure you used the proper version of the firmware? There is a 4.02 for Gold/Plat units and a different one for yours. You should have downloaded yours from HERE.

Here are instructions on restoring your "dead unit" as published in the FILES section of the Magellan Meridian Yahoo Group:

quote:
Below are the recovery instructions for a dead MAP330 or Meridian.

They are written for the MAP330 but they work just as well for the Meridians.

1. If your MAP330/Meridian in in a "locked up" state (stuck on), power it down

by holding down MARK/GOTO and the ESC keys and press ENTER. This will

power down the unit.

2. Power it up in "Software upload mode" by holding down MARK/GOTO

and the ESC keys and press POWER. Unit shold power up with a

"software upload mode active" message.

3. Run magup.exe, select NO at the dialog box. Click on "Expert" and

checkmark "On" for the "Expert Upload" setting (be sure MAP 330/Meridian is

selected as the "Unit Type" and click "OK"

4. Select the firmware file by clicking on "File" then "Select Code File".

The firmware file should have a name like ZORRO204.SRE or ZORRO204.HEX or MRDN3_08.HEX.

5. Click on "Upload" and click "OK". Checkmark "Program Code Only".

Check "Upload File".

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

...I have since returned to the original 3.12 version and it has gotten me within 2 or 3 feet of caches now.

Wow! That's good news. How do I return to v3.12?

BTW, I used the v4.02 update that Magellan sent me after I asked about the update, when I registered my unit.

quote:
Originally posted by Skippy2:

How do I return to v3.12?

You can download the 3.12 firmware on the Yahoo group I linked above. You can also get the 4.03 that DustyJacket recommends there.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

You can download the 3.12 firmware on the Yahoo group I linked above. You can also get the 4.03 that DustyJacket recommends there.

TY very much. I found, what I believe is the v3.12 at the Yahoo group...

<http://www.navicache.com/meridian_basemaps/firmware/>

It is listed as mgps_312.zip

By the time all the people here who have offered help are rememberd in my will, it will be a puny split. Maybe I should just buy everybody a beer aor coffee now and forget the will.

A very big TY to those responding to my dead Meridian problem. It is amazing how many nice people there are in the world.

I am a recently retired Senior Probation officer and I guess I met too may no-so-nice people in my job.

Anyhow, thanks for the input.

I'm contacting Magellan and hope to have the issue resolved before long.

quote:
Originally posted by Skippy2:

I am a recently retired Senior Probation officer and I guess I met too may no-so-nice people in my job.

That should have read "many not-so-nice" people. Sorry. I got in a hurry.

BTW, I am back in business with my new Meridian GPS.

To get it to turn on after it kept dying in mid-startup sequence: Remove the batteries and then reinstall the batteries.(which I did with no results.) Here is what finally did the trick -> _ _ _ Press and hold the MENU key then press and hold the POWER key._ _