iMac can't see etrex20

Hi all I have just upgraded to an etrex20 from the good old yellow. The problem is my iMac (intel running snow leopard) doesn't see it when I connect it up with the USB cable. I've downloaded all the Garmin software from their site ( communicator plugin & web updater etc) but the computer still doesn't see it or the micro sd card, which I have mounted seperatly so as to put the TT maps and PQ's on. Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Dan

Hi all I have just upgraded to an etrex20 from the good old yellow. The problem is my iMac (intel running snow leopard) doesn't see it when I connect it up with the USB cable. I've downloaded all the Garmin software from their site ( communicator plugin & web updater etc) but the computer still doesn't see it or the micro sd card, which I have mounted seperatly so as to put the TT maps and PQ's on. Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Dan

Hi, don't quote me on this but I'm sure that I've seen somewhere on this forum that theres an issue as regards Garmin communicator and Mac's...with a result similar to what you describe. I can't offer any help personally, but I'm certain that others will be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Croesgadwr

Garmin Communicator is a browser plug-in, so it only affects things like the "Send to GPS" button on Geocaching.com, or uploading data to the Garmin Connect website. From what Dan is saying, his iMac isn't seeing the eTrex even at the system level.

Dan, does the USB icon ever appear on the eTrex? That's what you should see when you connect the device to your iMac. (There'll be a short startup process first where the eTrex displays some other messages.) If you're seeing that icon, then the eTrex should be visible on the iMac desktop. If you aren't seeing it, is your eTrex hanging up somewhere in the connection process?

Patty

Ye the USB symbol is coming up on the Etrex but I'm not seeing it on the computer, like when I mount the memory card seperatly in the USB card reader it appears on the desktop as another drive. Also when using the Garmin web updater program it says connect device and also has a button to add gps, which you click & it comes up with no devices found. And Etrex is in mass storage mode.

Dan

Hi there have just tried connecting the Etrex to a friends windows xp machine and both the Garmin and the sd memory showed up. So have decided to buy an xp disc & CoA on a well known auction site and dual boot the mac which will also give the added bonus of being able to run Gsak. Thanks for the responses everyone thread closed.

Dan