Two Events on the same Day

I have organised a flash mob for 9 June. This is the first event I have organised. This runs for 15 minutes and then people depart for it to be a true flashmob. I have also organised a venue several kilometres away for us to regroup around 15-20 minutes later after the flash mob. Should this be registered as a separate event due to the limited timing for the flash mob and the fact that cachers are going to have to travel between venues some distance? Is it legal to have two events registered on the same day? I can't find anything about this onsite so I'm asking here, although I have asked my poor, long-suffering reviewer the same question. One day I would like to meet him/her and take them out of an extremely well-earned coffee. This would also solve any problems with people wanting to log the event if they didn't attend the flash but came to the regroup. Thanks in advance for your comments

The Muddy Paw

Thanks for the comments. My reviewer thought they should be two events too, so I have done the WWFM IX as one and the other starts 15 mins ater several kilometres away. Thilled I could put them in as two. Can't wait! :rolleyes::lol: :lol:

The Muddy Paw

Exploring the world of Geocaching through the eyes of a Newbie

I wouldn't even bother listing the flash mob as a geocaching event. Yes, I know that people would only get one smiley two, and No, I don't care.

Just create the one event and put something on the page that one of the activities that you'll be doing is a Flash Mob at a specific location and time prior to the scheduled event time.

I wouldn't even bother listing the flash mob as a geocaching event. Yes, I know that people would only get one smiley two, and No, I don't care.

That's what I was going to say. Flash mobs aren't really geocaching events anyways.

I agree, and count me as a flash mob hata. :laughing: However, much to my chagrin, they have a large enough following, and I don't believe they will ever go away on this website.

The OP is from New Zealand, and one of the first responses was by someone from the UK. I can't be imagining this, but I'm of the opinion here in North America that "stacking" of events is frowned upon, and I'm pretty sure I've heard of some "two events in one day" submissions being denied in Ontario, Canada. Don't take my word for it though, does anyone else have any input on that?

The OP is from New Zealand, and one of the first responses was by someone from the UK. I can't be imagining this, but I'm of the opinion here in North America that "stacking" of events is frowned upon, and I'm pretty sure I've heard of some "two events in one day" submissions being denied in Ontario, Canada. Don't take my word for it though, does anyone else have any input on that?

Funny, I had the same reaction. When I read the OP I was all ready to provide an answer about how stacking events is frowned upon and likely wouldn't be approved. I was surprised to read that this doesn't seem to be a universal rule.

My caching experience has always been that if the events are setup so that most of the attendees are likely to attend both events (such as one starting after the other and not very far away) that they should be a single event.

I think I get it. Flash mod event caches are like the power trail of event caches. Like a power trail where the caches are lined up closely in a location the flash mod event caches are lined up closely over time.
I've never seen flashmob event caches stacked. The flashmob events I've attended have generally been the same as the regular events I've attended, except that the "official" event is only the first 15 minutes. During that 15 minutes, the log is signed, we play a game or conduct a raffle, and everyone says "Hi" to those around them. With a regular event, folks stick around and visit. With a flashmob event, folks still stick around and visit, but they may wander off to a nearby pizza place first.

But no, flashmob events are not stacked. If you tried to submit an series of wedding reception events like this:

12:00 GCZYX01 Receiving Line

12:15 GCZYX02 Bride and Groom Enter

12:30 GCZYX03 Appetizer

12:40 GCZYX04 Soup

12:45 GCZYX05 Salad

12:50 GCZYX06 First Course

13:00 GCZYX07 Second Course

13:15 GCZYX08 Cutting the Wedding Cake

13:20 GCZYX09 Dessert

13:30 GCZYX0A Toasts

13:45 GCZYX0B First Dance

13:50 GCZYX0C Dancing

14:15 GCZYX0D Catching the Bouquet

14:20 GCZYX0E Throwing the Garter

14:30 GCZYX0F Bride and Groom Depart

Then you would be told to list a single wedding reception event, rather than a series of stacked events.

As long as 15 minutes is enough time for folks to get from one venue to the other safely then why not two events? As long as people don't have to be at location #2 in 15 minutes, but soon after. They will both be fun, I'm sure. Only been to one flash mob, and had a great time.

Is 15 minutes from start time to start time really enough when travel is involved? You don't want to be late to the second event you are hosting!

Its not 15 mins from start to start. There is a 15 mins gap from end of one to start of next and venues are five mins drive apart with parking out the back of the second venue. The start time for second event is just that... a start with ongoing time of arrival as NZ are playing Ireland at rugby that afternoon./evening. Sport plays a huge role in kiwi culture and I'm picking there will be a lot at the second event that will skip the flashmob.

I agree, and count me as a flash mob hata. :laughing: However, much to my chagrin, they have a large enough following, and I don't believe they will ever go away on this website.

I went to a CITO event with an ice cream social afterwards, listed as two separate events. Of course, those lasted much longer and in that case I went to the first and couldn't go to the second, so the set-up made sense to me.

UK reviewers will list them as 2 events, but ask for a minimum time/distance between the two.

That is similar to what I was going to write...

Two events on the same day isn't a problem, but you will need to consider the distance or time to the other event. Generally, having two event in roughly the same location or time meant for roughly the same group of people won't get published...but exceptions can be bad if the reason(s) validate it...but you would need to check with your local reviewer about it.

I think I get it. Flash mod event caches are like the power trail of event caches. Like a power trail where the caches are lined up closely in a location the flash mod event caches are lined up closely over time.
I've never seen flashmob event caches stacked. The flashmob events I've attended have generally been the same as the regular events I've attended, except that the "official" event is only the first 15 minutes. During that 15 minutes, the log is signed, we play a game or conduct a raffle, and everyone says "Hi" to those around them. With a regular event, folks stick around and visit. With a flashmob event, folks still stick around and visit, but they may wander off to a nearby pizza place first.

But no, flashmob events are not stacked. If you tried to submit an series of wedding reception events like this:

Then you would be told to list a single wedding reception event, rather than a series of stacked events.

Not anymore

Edited by briansnat

I went to a CITO event with an ice cream social afterwards, listed as two separate events. Of course, those lasted much longer and in that case I went to the first and couldn't go to the second, so the set-up made sense to me.

I'm actually attending the same thing this weekend. A CITO, and then an Armed Forces Day BBQ. At the same location.

That was mentioned on the Podcacher show a few weeks ago.

Edited by gustav129

Not anymore

Suddenly, finding temporary caches 300 feet apart and attending the same event in NE Ohio 125 times doesn't sound so silly any more. :blink: Well, so much for my theory in post #8 that stacking of events is frowned upon in North America. I suppose there must be a time apart and distance critera in play.

Hey, I was in the Army. Can I join this thing? :P

Not anymore

Sheesh. I can't think of any other reason to list that as 24 separate events instead of 1 other than it allows attendees to accumulate 24 "finds" for attending a single event. Granted, the event is 24 hours long but it's still just one event.

Not anymore

Suddenly, finding temporary caches 300 feet apart and attending the same event in NE Ohio 125 times doesn't sound so silly any more. :blink: Well, so much for my theory in post #8 that stacking of events is frowned upon in North America. I suppose there must be a time apart and distance critera in play.

Hey, I was in the Army. Can I join this thing? :P

:ph34r: :ph34r: When I checked the link, I got the whole story. Enough said on that topic. :blink::ph34r:

Not anymore

That's just...just... :blink: