The most 'evil' caches you've come across

Im just wondering what are some of the toughest to find caches you've come across?

Last year I came across one that was a chunk of limestone, a little smaller than a baseball, that had been drilled out with a nano glued in to it. It was then placed in a wall made up of limestone rocks. LOL, that was like my 4th or 5th find and I was just amazed at it. Its archived now, but here is that listing. Another Pool View

I recently placed a cache that I hope will be on par with that one. Mycology 101.

What are some of the toughest ones out there that you have come across? I love to see how creative some people can get. Please share your stories.

Someday I want to be known in the area for the most challenging CO, so I need to see what Im up against. My finds thus far are minimal, but once my finds get up there I'd really like to start upping the game in this area

Thanks in advance

-Josh and Melissa (Mushroom420)

Here's the Mycology 101 cache

Edit post at owner's request

Edited by Skippermark

the thing is, you can not write in the cache text what we are supposed to look for,

a musroom I newer touch ! I dont know their types, and some can be very dangerous,

first I will lift up all the stones and inspect them, and throw them away,

then walk all over your musroom, this way it gets digged compleetly into the ground,

adding a few more stars to its diff.

then I will log a DNF and continue my hike.

This mushroom is on a pretty steep slope, surrounded by flatter step areas...so I dont think it'll get stepped on.

Isnt that sort of the point, adding clues in the description, without giving it away.(for the more difficult caches ratings)

I would think/hope that anybody taking the time to hike to this spot would read the description...any anybody with an ounce of creative juices should be able to pick up on what it is they're gonna be looking for.

My name is Mushroom420, cache title is Mycology 101, clues provided are italicized or underlined. "Stool, caps, fun guy, muchroom, grounded"...and the images on the page are pretty clearly a mushroom

--shrug-- maybe you're correct, perhaps people aren't quick enough to pick up on them and would then step on the wildlife, and then -throw- away the stones...

(you really dont disturb the areas you're searching in like that...I hope)

but anyhow, I'd still like to hear about the more creative/difficult caches out and about

Edited by Mushroom420

I have it currently at a 3.5 difficulty with a note in the comments to suggest a more suitable rating if they feel its necessary. If I get a person or two who thinks it should be upped or lowered I fully plan on using their advice.

Its location requires very little stealth. On a good day, MAYBE 2 parties would walk past it...and it cannot be seen from any of the more popular sections of the park.

I added 3 trailhead waypoints too, in the hopes that they can discover something new, even if they frequent the park.

OZ has me thinking my cache kinda sucks now, bad start to my CO hobby :mad:

Edited by Mushroom420
Im just wondering what are some of the toughest to find caches you've come across?
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. :-)

The "Somewhere" series by catomcat has included several of my favorite "good evil" camouflage caches. A couple of the "Assume Nothing" caches by workerofwood have been in that category too. Sorry, but no spoilers/details.

OZ has me thinking my cache kinda sucks now, bad start to my CO hobby :mad:
Not everyone likes well-camouflaged micro-caches. That's another reason for accurate difficulty and size ratings: so people who don't like this kind of cache can avoid it.

My only concern is whether the area can sustain the repeated prolonged searches that such a cache will produce.

That was a concern of mine when placing this one. The park is so lovely and I was hoping to add to it, rather than take away/harm it.

My 1st location I chose would have easily been trampled and injured...so I scrapped that place and spent another 2 hours hiking to find a better spot.

The way this is, it can only be approached from below, and its a rocky area (with mostly large, unmovable rocks), so the area wouldnt really even be able to be damaged...unless by intentional means :mad: ...or people "throwing away" stones like OZ mentioned.

that's also why I provided the 4 waypoints on the cache to keep people on the trail

But yeah, I 100% agree with that and had that in mind before even attempting to place this.

nira, judging by what you see in this thread, do you think (as best you can judge) that a 3.5 is good enough, or should it be a 4/4.5?

can you also link me to those caches you've mentioned please?...I will try to search them now though and see if thats possible on the site (never tried it)

thanks alot

Edited by Mushroom420

the thing is, you can not write in the cache text what we are supposed to look for,

a musroom I newer touch ! I dont know their types, and some can be very dangerous,

then walk all over your musroom, this way it gets digged compleetly into the ground,

There is no mushroom that is dangerous to touch. You have to eat them (and not just lick your fingers after touching one) for any of them to even make you ill.

What are some of the toughest ones out there that you have come across? I love to see how creative some people can get. Please share your stories.

Someday I want to be known in the area for the most challenging CO, so I need to see what Im up against. My finds thus far are minimal, but once my finds get up there I'd really like to start upping the game in this area

Hi John and Melissa

In Sydney, Australia there are many challenging caches including the infamous Bifrost

Something that sounds like the sandstone one you found is likeTECIS

There are 2 D5 caches hidden near Bifrost that haven't been found yet The Pergola and The Echelon Project

Despite this a cache doesn't need to be hard to be fun. A favourite of mine is Marlene's Mischief in which there is a story. That is my favourite cache to date. PM me if you want specifics about any of these caches

The first kind of every cache I've found so far was really hard--even my first LPS, because I didn't know that they moved! :) Also the first one in a telephone pole spike-hole, and only one of us in a group of four was brave enough to pull a fake utility box off of a tin-sided building. That said, I have a couple of D5s on my list, but they are mostly far away...or else the difficulty rating is based on the puzzle part.

Your mushroom might stand out a little in the winter, lol, but it looks great. But it gives me an idea....shelf fungus gets as hard as wood; I have several that I've collected (off the ground) and I think that would make a great hidey-hole once space was carefully carved out. Hmm...how to re-attach it to a tree...

I really like your mushroom cache, but I wouldn't exactly call it "evil". Although it's a cute little cache, IMO you have the difficulty rated much higher than I think it actually is. Your cache name, description and hint all make it painfully obvious that seekers are looking for something disguised as a mushroom. Even if I hadn't read the name and description, this one would jump out at me for a couple of reasons. A) it looks like the type of mushroom I expect to see in the grocery store and not in the wild. B ) it's placed in a spot that I wouldn't expect to see mushrooms growing. I would rate it a D-1.5 at best.

I apologize if it sounds like I'm being overly critical, just offering an honest opinion since you said your goal was to become know for the most difficult hides. `Experienced cachers are pretty sharp and you have to get up pretty early in the morning to pull the wool over their eyes.

Edited by Mushroom finder

That you will inspect the stones, and then throw them away, tells me all I need to know about what type of cacher you are. Glad your not hunting in my area.

One in Arkansas that gave me a lot of trouble was a largish stick (a little smaller around than your wrist, I reckon) just laying on the ground in the tall grass in a small patch of woods near an abandoned campground. There was a hole drilled in the the bottom with one of those tiny little plastic medical vials in it. Don't know how I ever found that one.

b6618c9a-5696-4f87-b635-45aa01a8cf73.jpg?rnd=0.6125605

I see that cache is archived now....

One I rather liked in Baton Rouge was a lamp post cache....lift the skirt and there's a container with a note in it saying to keep looking....there were probably 5 or 6 "decoy" micros of various styles hidden on that one lamp post, most of which we found before we finally came across the "real" cache.

There's one near my sister-in-law's house in Plano TX that I go looking for every time we visit and I still haven't found it....The CO finally had pity on me and gave me a hint but I haven't been back to go look for it again.

it's placed in a spot that I wouldn't expect to see mushrooms growing.

The second cache I ever found is located in a Agriculture research site (about 5 acres) used for cultivating nuts, berries, and mushrooms. Although none of the mushrooms cultivated there look like the mushroom cache shown, it would have been fun to find a fake mushroom cache is a place where one *is* expected to see mushrooms growing.

I think the mushroom you created looks great as it is up to you to decide how real or well hidden your cache is. I enjoy evil hides as any other other cache but not if a 2 hour hike is required to get to them. If you provide the user with all the proper hints and information you can help avoid DNF's(Unless that is what you are aiming for) and avoid "DESTRUCTIVE CACHERS" from trampling all around your cache GZ by mentioning to "tread lightly".

The way I look at it is if you hide an acorn in an acorn tree a squirrel can't tell the difference but if you hide an acorn in a pine tree only a cacher would see that as odd. The same idea if you hide a mushroom that looks out of place or un-native most likely only a cacher would notice this slight difference.Puns and play on words with creative containers stand out to me.

The flat mushrooms previously noted can be reattached to a dead fall lying down tree by boring out a small hole in the shroom a bit larger than than the stub of a protruding branch almost used like a dowel.

Creative geocaches get my favorite points over difficulty to find but there is always a happy medium.

I really like your mushroom cache, but I wouldn't exactly call it "evil". Although it's a cute little cache, IMO you have the difficulty rated much higher than I think it actually is. Your cache name, description and hint all make it painfully obvious that seekers are looking for something disguised as a mushroom. Even if I hadn't read the name and description, this one would jump out at me for a couple of reasons. A) it looks like the type of mushroom I expect to see in the grocery store and not in the wild. B ) it's placed in a spot that I wouldn't expect to see mushrooms growing. I would rate it a D-1.5 at best.

I apologize if it sounds like I'm being overly critical, just offering an honest opinion since you said your goal was to become know for the most difficult hides. `Experienced cachers are pretty sharp and you have to get up pretty early in the morning to pull the wool over their eyes.

Gives me something to chew on, for sure. I'll lower the D.

P.s. love the name :-)

Part of the learning curve. I definately want quality over quantity.

I'll also add to tread lightly, as no destruction (or rock throwing -facepalm-) is required.

(should I wait for a few more cachers to log their visit before dropping? In case the tree cover ends up being more trouble than I expect...?)

Thanks, fellas....

Out the door at the moment, but will edit as soon as I get home.

Edited by Mushroom420

That drilled out log, dang! LOL

Some people have some nice creativity out there. I hope to run in to more of these in the future.

My g/f likes the easy finds, but I enjoy scratching my head and trying to pick the mind of the CO while staring at their location.

Edit: I lowered the D and left the note for future cachers to recommend a better rating if they see fit...also added a message to tread lightly and help keep this park beautiful (it really is great!). Now, here's to hoping they use one of my 4 waypoints and stick to the trail.

Appreciate all the help on this cache and for showing/telling me about the ones in your area. I see I have a lot of stuff to chew on.

My next cache is a simple ammo can with mushrooms my gf and I painted on and glued fake mushrooms under the lid so they pop out when the box is opened. Also made a laser engvraved FTF (F2F) shelf mushroom that I picked...and included some nice swag for the kiddies. That one will be more of a park n grab....when we find a worthy spot to place it...if we find a worthy spot...

Edited by Mushroom420

>That you will inspect the stones, and then throw them away, tells me all I need to know about what type of cacher you are.

I have not so far seen anyone able to pick up a bunch of random stones

inspect them for caches, and if none found, put them down at the perfect spot they where all found,

sorry this just dont happen, not for you, not for anyone.

>Glad your not hunting in my area

you newer know :-)

---

>OZ has me thinking my cache kinda sucks now, bad start to my CO hobby

No way there !! dont let one who thinks it is no fun, ruin your cool and different ideas.

>Not everyone likes well-camouflaged micro-caches.

>That's another reason for accurate difficulty and size ratings:

>so people who don't like this kind of cache can avoid it.

EXACTLY !!

I love cool hides, if I know what to expect..

I dont like a hard hide if there is just no point,

like say there is PLENTY of space in a forrest, and no mugglers, no cool spot for a hard to find nano..

in a city, tons of muglers and no room for ammobox, here a nano can be fun to find and sign without beeing revealed by muglers.

I hiden a similar size snail cache, but I painted it with transparent varnish so it is a bit shining and great looking,

so cachers can find it..

If nothing was done to such a hide, people will tear apart the ground until they find it,

clear evidence of tearing/wearing down after searching a hard to find one,

people not knowing this must be new.

>That you will inspect the stones, and then throw them away, tells me all I need to know about what type of cacher you are.

inspect them for caches, and if none found, put them down at the perfect spot they where all found,

>Glad your not hunting in my area

you newer know :-)

---

>OZ has me thinking my cache kinda sucks now, bad start to my CO hobby

No way there !! dont let one who thinks it is no fun, ruin your cool and different ideas.

>Not everyone likes well-camouflaged micro-caches.

>That's another reason for accurate difficulty and size ratings:

>so people who don't like this kind of cache can avoid it.

EXACTLY !!

I love cool hides, if I know what to expect..

I dont like a hard hide if there is just no point,

like say there is PLENTY of space in a forrest, and no mugglers, no cool spot for a hard to find nano..

in a city, tons of muglers and no room for ammobox, here a nano can be fun to find and sign without beeing revealed by muglers.

I hiden a similar size snail cache, but I painted it with transparent varnish so it is a bit shining and great looking,

so cachers can find it..

If nothing was done to such a hide, people will tear apart the ground until they find it,

clear evidence of tearing/wearing down after searching a hard to find one,

people not knowing this must be new.

Cache hunters need to be respectful of the area they are hunting. Any cacher who doesn't is a detriment to the game. I absolutely know that there are bad cachers that will tear an area up. That is the cache hunters fault, not the hider. Another reason I have lost a lot of respect for the hobby. When I first started and began getting involved in events (donations) and gaining permission for hides, I would always tout the respectful nature of the hobby participants and how caching is good for an area. I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face now that I know better. You also said you would stomp the local flora into the ground. Great Job, you are an awesome ambassador for the game.

Hey mushroom420, I live in the area and while I haven't gotten down to your cache yet you sure have given me a lot more info on your cache then I probably should know. Might want to think about that in the future.

Having said that I applaud your effort to make more interesting caches. I love that.

I am doing the same thing as I have noticed in this area there are certain types of caches I haven't seen so I am working on making those.

It will be great to have more of those kind of caches in the area.

Lol, dang...I didnt think Id come across any local folks and tip them off, lol....RATS! haha...indeed though.

Lesson learned

I just did a few of yours this weekend if my memory serves me correctly.

I too was a little taken back by some of the comments by OZ. I may look under rocks, but theyre set back down right where they came...as I usually only lift a corner of it anyhow.

Idk, im new, so I have no place critiquing a veterans methods, but man, you sound like the Tazmanian Devil, lol j/k

And thanks for mentioning the CCC thread, Ill check in to it.

Sorry for cluttering up the forums

Hey mushroom420, I live in the area and while I haven't gotten down to your cache yet you sure have given me a lot more info on your cache then I probably should know. Might want to think about that in the future.

Having said that I applaud your effort to make more interesting caches. I love that.

I am doing the same thing as I have noticed in this area there are certain types of caches I haven't seen so I am working on making those.

It will be great to have more of those kind of caches in the area.

Can a mod/admin maybe delete this thread so this doesn't happen again?

I didnt realize this would happen

You put them down where you picked them up, why is that so difficult? :blink:

I mean, unless you're picking up pebbles, the rocks have their own pretty indentation in the soil usually..

lift rock at one end, look under, set it back down.. --shrug--

I didnt want to say too much to him in that regard, being a noob and him/her a 6 year vet, but that was sort of an odd/concerning reply...I mean, why would you "walk all over" anything. Mushroom or plant?

Edited by Mushroom420

You put them down where you picked them up, why is that so difficult? :blink:

Not to hard for me either. :blink:

I nearly archived one of my caches because of savages flinging stuff.

One of my caches is hidden on a beach. There is not much driftwood to be found on this beach. Several times, I walked up and down the beach carefully gathering driftwood to hide the cache and several times I re-visited the cache to find all the driftwood gone. Who are the flingers out there? Step forward and bow your heads in shame. <_<

Edited by The_Incredibles_

There's evil ..

Extended hollow bolt

Pebble Cache (one of those plastic vials cemeted to the bottom of a small rock)

And then there's evil ..

Hollow extra post along a fence line, containing a Small, not micro

Hollow nail tucked into an existing hole in a board or post

Small bison or vial tucked into a piece of cable insullation

Blinkie in a pile of rocks (also known as Needle in Haystack, which I intensely dislike)