How to beat the heat while caching

Its like an oven out there. I still want to geocache but I can't bring myself out in the almost 100 degree heat to go do it. Lots of water, short and sunscreen.. maybe a stop for a slushie on the way through town - any other ideas on how to beat the heat and still get some caches found?

Its like an oven out there. I still want to geocache but I can't bring myself out in the almost 100 degree heat to go do it. Lots of water, short and sunscreen.. maybe a stop for a slushie on the way through town - any other ideas on how to beat the heat and still get some caches found?

What's that saying? "If you can't take the heat, get out of Texas?" Come up here to Canada! As of this post, it's 7 degrees here (45 for you wacky imperial users). :laughing:

Sigh! It's just around freezing here 1C / 33F at 0900 and snow is falling lightly... again.

Right now 7C sounds like a heat wave!

However this is just a minor weather system for a few days until the next one gets here, we should get some nice days in between though. Maybe! Did get out for a few caches the other day when it was just lightly raining (4) while shopping.

Doug 7rxc

In Az, I'd cache from 5a to around 9a, and then either stop or change my caching to those I could drive to.

Also, trenta black ice tea from Starbucks. 100 degrees is do-able for caching if you wear a hat and drink fluids, etc. it's when it gets 110+ that I try to back off.

It's 46 now up here in PNW, but we may get to 54!!!

What's that saying? "If you can't take the heat, get out of Texas?" Come up here to Canada! As of this post, it's 7 degrees here (45 for you wacky imperial users). :laughing:

Ahhhh.... here in Da U.P. (near Lake Superior), we had one day of 80°F -- and that was early last month. Since then, 40-50, but very, very dry. Ice in the birdbath most mornings lately. Might go swimming around August or so.......

Does make for wunnerful caching if you wanna come. Foliage is still trying to come out, most woodsy caches are much easier to find. :):)

Edit: No skeeters ........... (yet)

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Yep, we're starting to get summer weather. In St. Louis it's the humidity that gets you...today it's only 84, but feels like 90. I just got back from a short hike and the shady bits were nice, but the slog through an open muddy field was getting nasty. You could almost feel the steam coming off the mud.

I'm going to have to keep wearing jeans, a lot of the good caches here are in the woods or in the middle of a honeysuckle bush. But I'm switching to a performance shirt from my biking wardrobe, carrying water and sticking to the shade. I think I might get one of thought neckerchiefs that stay cold, they use a similar technique at Boy Scout camp here, but low tech. They just keep plenty of water around for the boys to dunk them in.

Yeah, we've got a light snowfall going on in Calgary right now. And yesterday, I encountered my first mosquitoes of the season. The little buggers just couldn't wait.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: In Medicine Hat it's a great 15 out, no snow, no rain. A little bit of wind.

ONLY 100! :yikes: 100 is just warm :laughing: Around here hot doesn't start until 110!

In the summer when it gets hot and we go caching there's a lot of hydrating going on and shade/rest breaks where we make sure we're doing ok. Couple years ago I was doing some caches on a really hot/humid day which required some exertion and then some at the end which didn't. I recognized at the end when I was starting to not be able to process thoughts well that I was getting hyperthermic so change of clothes hydration and cool area is where I went. Learn and be mindful of hyperthermia symptoms.

Otherwise I try to cache in the evenings.

Earlier I thought of offering the OP some of our nice cool air, but now have realized that they would misuse it if we did.

In their eagerness for cool, they would likely mix it up with that hot, humid Gulf air and just end up with a bunch of Supercells and devastating tornadoes and hail for a short while. So, back to the drawing board... I did think of you while doing some things today as it slowly worked up to about 10C in snow flurries then rain. Sort of a mini heat wave... and more to come with some sun in the next few days. Our turn will come shortly.

Doug 7rxc

I don't wear cotton when hiking/caching, using various weights of nylon for weather conditions. That seems to help with evaporation/comfort.

- But it's rare to get a day near a hundred in these parts. It's the humidity that gets us. I'd take 100 dry heat any day.

If your work schedule allows, you could do the dawn or dusk route, but the critters that you'd have to be wary of usually have the same game plan.

You really aren't hitting the terrain ratings to worry much, except for some comfort. Take more water than you need and rest in between hides.

Edited by cerberus1

We've already shifted to our summer schedule, trying to get an earlier start on weekend mornings.

Sometimes you just gotta get hot or stay inside. When I was deployed, I would go running at 10 PM or 5 AM, when the temp dropped down to a balmy 95, 'cause I had to do it and I wasn't going to do it at 122+.

I've done a lot of caching in the Texas summer heat and have developed a few strategies to be safe and beat the heat.

1) Start out very early. I try to get to the trailhead a little before sunrise.

2) Bring lots and lots of water. More than I really think I need. I freeze half the bottles and just refrigerate the others. The frozen ones will slowly melt during the day allowing for nice cold water all day long.

3) Drink the water. Even when you're not feeling thirsty. I figure as long as I'm peeing regularly while out on the trail, then I'm drinking enough.

4) Cover your head and neck. I use a wide brimmed straw hat and one of those neck bandanas that retains water. Both of these keep my head and neck from the over-heating.

5) Know your limits. Remember that you still have to hike back to the car and it's not going to get any colder as the day goes on.

Using these precautions I've only had one incident in the last 9 years where I was truly worried about my health when out on the trail.

I do agree! Move up here to Canada!:)

One week after The A-Team's post, it's just approaching 20 degrees celsius (68 F). A very nice temperature for caching!