Garmin Montana beta 4.03 - 04-May-2012

Weird. I posted the original link and even USED it to get the 4.03 beta. Wanted to be darn sure it was a good link before posting it. It worked when I posted it and it still works now. Garmin must be shuffling links around during the night for some reason. Oh well, at least we have options!

I got a very nice deal on a montana last weekend and updated it to the 3.90 firmware. Since I bought it it looks like there have been two more beta releases. As I'm reading to figure out how to use it and all it's capabilities I see that some people are having problems with the beta updates. Anyone have problems after this latest update? Should I go ahead and update now?

3 updates in 1 week!

You can update, no strange things happening.

Oh I missed one then LOL!!!!

I was wondering if some of the things I am having problems figuring out were fixed in the updates before I opene a thread to ask questions. Thanks. I'll charge it up and update and go back to reading the manual. So far I've found about 20 caches and then succeeded in losing my trip information.....Operator error. I'm going to an event tomorrow so there will be a lot of new caches. That will be a big test.

Thanks.

Does anyone know how to change the order of maps shown on the map selection (Map Information)screen? I'd like to put frequently toggled mapsets near the top to avoid scrolling.

You can not change the order in the map menu. Why don't you create shortcuts of your mapsets to your main screen? You can toggle maps with one touch and you can also put the shortcuts in the order you prefer.

Yes I have. This happens at initial start up of the unit when you go to maps. For me it was anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds of a white screen. Also I had trouble getting the unit to go into serial mode when plugging into the computer. For the first time ever I reverted back to 4.02 and the map situation works fine. Unit used Montana 600.

I hate starting new threads so I'll just ask here for starters. Does anyone know how to change the order of maps shown on the map selection (Map Information)screen? I'd like to put frequently toggled mapsets near the top to avoid scrolling.

I don't have my Montana in front of me(I broke the screen while hiking) but you can change the order the maps show up. Birdseye and custom are always at the bottom but all other maps like City Nav and Topo are listed by date created. I believe the "newest" maps end up on top. Easiest way to check this is to change the extension of one map and do a reboot, then change it back.

Original link worked fine for me. This is the first beta I've downloaded since 3.60 and didn't have any problems on today's run except for one small issue when the unit shut down upon entering the next stage. This wasn't a multi cache but an unknown multi so wonder if that was the issue.

Anyone else not receiving WAAS corrections? I get the birds, the sat number flashes but no "D" on any other signal bars and nothing telling me WAAS corrections are being applied.

Garmin's software update mantra:

Add some

Fix some

Break some

Edited by yogazoo

Anyone else not receiving WAAS corrections? I get the birds, the sat number flashes but no "D" on any other signal bars and nothing telling me WAAS corrections are being applied.

Add some

Fix some

Break some

Yes, I have enabled WAAS, and I am also not receiving "D's" on any of the active signal bars.

Has anyone noticed a weird white or black screen for 5 seconds or so when you first go to the maps screen?

I updated my montana 600 Friday and have used it several times since then but haven't seen this.

Add some

Fix some

Break some

I thought at first that I wasn't getting it either but last night I realized I didn't have waas enabledn which I thought I had done before. After I did that I was seeing the Ds.

It seems to me that some of the settings keep changing on me when I turn it off or maybe when I take out the battery. I will have to keep track I guess. This unit is just amazing in the things that it can do. :P

Add some

Fix some

Break some

Yes, I have enabled WAAS, and I am also not receiving "D's" on any of the active signal bars.

I also have the same issue, no "D's" and WAAS is enabled.

Anyone else having longer boot times with this version? My boot time is now about 1 minute, 15 seconds. I wish I had recorded it with a prior version (I suppose I could downgrade and double-check). I don't recall it taking this long to boot before (even if its a warm boot - meaning I was just up and running and then shutdown to boot again).

Oh - no WAAS "D"s for me either (and I had to turn WAAS on because I don't normally have it on) but everything else is working too good to want to do a hard reset. I'm not sure WAAS adds much anyway. 10 to 20 feet of estimated error is more than enough accuracy for me. If WAAS told me what lump of grass the geocache was under, then I might think about a hard reset.

Edited by kb6ooc

Well a hard reset (holding down the upper left portion of the screen while powering on) solved my instability (crashing) issues and brought back my WAAS "D"s!!

Does a hard reset wipe out waypoints and custom POI's? Or anything else?

No, just some minor settings.

Hans

Anyone else having longer boot times with this version? My boot time is now about 1 minute, 15 seconds. I wish I had recorded it with a prior version (I suppose I could downgrade and double-check). I don't recall it taking this long to boot before (even if its a warm boot - meaning I was just up and running and then shutdown to boot again).

Oh - no WAAS "D"s for me either (and I had to turn WAAS on because I don't normally have it on) but everything else is working too good to want to do a hard reset. I'm not sure WAAS adds much anyway. 10 to 20 feet of estimated error is more than enough accuracy for me. If WAAS told me what lump of grass the geocache was under, then I might think about a hard reset.

I never recorded the actual boot time before but I am going caching this afternoon and I will time it to see how long it now takes to acquire the fix.

WAAS didn't work for me either, so it's time for a hard reset then :mad:

Today I drove the section where I had the map freeze, this time with fw4.03 and NT-EU 2013.1. And again the map froze for about 2km (potential of 2 exits which could be missed).

Later, the same road, but then approached from the other way, the map froze again. This time after about 3.5km a part of the map appeared in the upper half, but didn't update, and then after 5.5km, the map was working again.

When the map disappears, the data-fields (using nuvi in Auto) are still there, but don't update.

The funny thing is that this also works in simulation.

I have sent Garmin an extensive e-mail (2nd time already).

Found a new way to crash my 600.

I have several stored track logs that I've downloaded from the Internet. These are for mountain hikes on trails I have been on or plan to be on. So...

1. Go to the track manager

2. Pick a track log from the list

3. Select "View Map"

4. Click someplace on the map (I've only done this test clicking on an area with nothing specific there)

5. The red pin shows up and a banner at the top of the screen - click on that banner

6. Click the flag at the left to create a waypoint where the red pin is

7. Click OK

8. Click the pencil at the left to edit the waypoint

9. Click the waypoint name to rename it

POOF! Crash and power down.

I also tried this by going to the ROUTE planner and bringing up a map of a ROUTE, instead of a track. Then I followed all the remaining steps. No crash when I was doing it that way. Very strange.

I just sent an email off to montanabeta@garmin.com

Edited by kb6ooc

One thing that I had on all my previous Garmin units was a circle around the position indicator, which showed an estimate of how accurate the position information was. As far as I know, the Montana doesn't display this circle. Can someone please confirm this for me?

Thanks!

GeoBC

I have several stored track logs that I've downloaded from the Internet. These are for mountain hikes on trails I have been on or plan to be on. So...

3. Select "View Map"

4. Click someplace on the map (I've only done this test clicking on an area with nothing specific there)

5. The red pin shows up and a banner at the top of the screen - click on that banner

7. Click OK

I followed your steps above, with exactly the same results.

When I re-booted the new WP was accessible and re-nameable.

Jim

I also tried this by going to the ROUTE planner and bringing up a map of a ROUTE, instead of a track. Then I followed all the remaining steps. No crash when I was doing it that way. Very strange.

3. Select "View Map"

7. Click OK

I followed your steps above, with exactly the same results.

When I re-booted the new WP was accessible and re-nameable.

Jim

I followed all of your steps with exactly the same result.

When I re-booted the Montana the new WP was accessible and re-nameable.

Jim