TB etiquette?

rumspringa

So there's this cacher in my area who insists on leaving these <edited> "personal" trackables in caches. They are a signature item of this cacher, tagged with a unique number that can be tracked on the person's personal web page...these items have NOTHING to do with geocaching per se, and certainly aren't reflected as inventory on the cache listing. So this person takes real TB's, leaving this <edited> trinket behind...and it drives me nuts! Trade fair or trade up, right? So wouldn't that mean, "don't take a trackable unless you have one to put in its place"? I don't give two licks about this person's <edited> trinket/personal tracking website, and it's apparent from finding this <edited> things in tons of caches that nobody else does either! Nobody moves them, nobody tracks them...they are just a poor excuse for a trade, and I think it needs to stop!

What say you, hive-mind?

Edited by Eartha
Personal attacks are not allowed here.

Trackables being whether they are geocoins or TB's do not have to be traded for. What's so wrong with taking a TB that doesn't have to be traded for in the first place and leaving a personal sig item? I don't see anything wrong with it. If you don't like the sig item them leave it. People leave all kinds of sig items.

Trackables are not Swappables, so you can take them without leaving anything behind. The person leaving the Signature items is just doing what so many other people do and that is leave behind a signature item they have made. I understand that a lot of people really enjoy collecting other people's Signature items and some of them are quite highly sought after. So my advice is to keep in mind that Trackables and Signature Items are two completely different issues and if you don't collect Signature items, just leave them behind. I would assume the person likes to leave them behind in a Cache they have enjoyed or if they take a Trackable; no problemo!

So there's this cacher in my area who insists on leaving these <edited> "personal" trackables in caches. They are a signature item of this cacher, tagged with a unique number that can be tracked on the person's personal web page...these items have NOTHING to do with geocaching per se, and certainly aren't reflected as inventory on the cache listing. So this person takes real TB's, leaving this <edited> trinket behind...and it drives me nuts! Trade fair or trade up, right? So wouldn't that mean, "don't take a trackable unless you have one to put in its place"? I don't give two licks about this person's <edited> trinket/personal tracking website, and it's apparent from finding this <edited> things in tons of caches that nobody else does either! Nobody moves them, nobody tracks them...they are just a poor excuse for a trade, and I think it needs to stop!

What say you, hive-mind?

You really need to calm down and get off your high-horse!

First, these are his SIGNATURE items. They have everything to do with Geocaching. Just because you don't get an icon or a increase in your TB count, Don't go thinking they're stupid, and certainly don't be calling them stupid. Sig items are another way to say "I was here." They are companions to the log book entry.

If you don't like them, ignore them.

TB's and geocoins are not swapable swag. They are travellers, per the guidelines.

Edited by Eartha
Sig items are another way to say "I was here." They are companions to the log book entry.

I'm still pretty new to GCing and have seen a couple of the poker chips with personal tags on them. Are these "signature items" supposed to be left in the cache - basically for the CO, or are they up for grabs as swag?

Edited by Ohiosiouxfan
Sig items are another way to say "I was here." They are companions to the log book entry.

I'm still pretty new to GCing and have seen a couple of the poker chips with personal tags on them. Are these "signature items" supposed to be left in the cache - basically for the CO, or are they up for grabs as swag?

Signature items are usually treated as swag. In some cases, there may be a request for tracking them or moving them, but they'd be tracked on another site. It's OK to trade & keep sig items, but if there's ever a doubt, it's a good idea to contact the cacher and ask.

Some items may be official Trackable Geocaching gamepieces, and could be a little tricky to identify. Some people release a hand-made item to replace a lost Travel Bug. So if an item does have a tracking code (and particularly if it's a valid code), it would be good to contact the person who placed it, to clear up any confusion.

Here's some some info that includes how to identify a Trackable:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/geocoinfaq.aspx

Edited by kunarion

What say you, hive-mind?

You know, it doesn't take much detective work to find out who you are so rudely discussing. To post this kind of personal insult on a public forum is completely uncalled for.

I can't begin to imagine why this should bother you so much. Lots of cachers go to the trouble of making personal sig items. Lots of other cachers appreciate those sig items.

No one is forcing you to even look at sig items.

Trackables are not swag, and are meant to move.

Seriously, this is a very nasty post about someone who is probably a well-liked and respected cacher.

B.

Edited by Eartha

To the OP.

Personal attacks are not allowed in these forums. I direct you to our forums guidelines.

This one in particular:

2. Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests in these forums with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, everyone should be treated respectfully.

Failure to follow these guidelines can earn you a vacation from posting here.

I have removed your personal attacks. Please treat others as you wish to be treated.

If you don't like signature items, then this is not going to be fun for you. Thousands of geocachers leave signature items in caches. Hundreds of them will even make them trackable somewhere else. You will find these everywhere, and if it bothers you, you can ignore them. You don't have to deal with the cache swag at all if you don't want to. Just sign the log. Nobody says you have to move them. Lots of cachers find signature items to be highly collectible, and a lot of fun. Some people are just in it for the adventure. Some just for the numbers. To each his own. Please enjoy the game, and live and let live.

I did a little research and that particular cacher has been leaving these signature items for a lot longer than you have been caching, so be prepared to find many, many more. Also, they do not demand that you even log them. You can hang them on your rear view mirror, Christmas Tree, key chain, whatever. They put them out to share, and say that they were there.

Now that the responses have cleared up your faulty knowledge about handling trackables and signature items I assume you will be admitting your error publicly with an apology to the poor unfairly maligned cacher.

:laughing: :laughing:

I'm not gonna hold my breath.