Add coordinates to log

Team ZeeBra

Hi,

When i log i can add also coordinates to the log. Is it viewable for all or just for me?

Why is this field added?

Hans

Team ZeeBra

You can add encrypted coordinates to your log, if you feel that the published coordinates are off.

Folks do that to help other cachers, and to suggest "better" coordinates to the cache owner.

Posting coords in your log without encrypting them will make them visible to everyone who reads the cache page, whether they are registered with Groundspeak or not.

B.

It's viewable by everyone on the cache page. It's to help other finders/cache owners when the co-ords are off (most people won't post co-ords unless the distance is over 40-50 feet). I was FTF on one cache where the listed co-ords were 150 feet off. What you do not want to do is post them for Puzzle or Multi caches.

It's viewable by everyone on the cache page. It's to help other finders/cache owners when the co-ords are off (most people won't post co-ords unless the distance is over 40-50 feet). I was FTF on one cache where the listed co-ords were 150 feet off. What you do not want to do is post them for Puzzle or Multi caches.

Or maybe you really DO want to post the actual final co-ordinates...but you probably shouldn't. :ph34r:

Adding co-ordinate to your log is an option so that you can help the CO (and finders) in cases where the GPS signal is not very reliable.

You can add encrypted coordinates to your log, if you feel that the published coordinates are off.

Folks do that to help other cachers, and to suggest "better" coordinates to the cache owner.

Posting coords in your log without encrypting them will make them visible to everyone who reads the cache page, whether they are registered with Groundspeak or not.

There's no facility for encrypting coordinates. If you add them to the log, using the "add coordinates" function, and encrypt the log, the coordinates are not encrypted, and are even visible to people who are are not signed in. If you add the coordinates to the text portion of the log, they still won't encrypt, because the encryption only works on letters, not numbers (unless you spell them out). Encrypted, spelled out numbers will most likely be ignored by anyone looking for better coordinates than the posted ones.

I believe PM caches do not display coordinates added to a log, unless you are signed on as a PM.

HI all

thanks for the replies. Now I see, I thought it could also be a log of all the caches you did find but it is not i see.

Good explanations because it is not complete clear when you just start and see the fields. maybe this could also be added to the help button. Now there is only a help on the encryption check box.

Thanks I think this also makes it clear for future loggers.

Team ZeeBra

Hans :rolleyes:

HI all

thanks for the replies. Now I see, I thought it could also be a log of all the caches you did find but it is not i see.

Good explanations because it is not complete clear when you just start and see the fields. maybe this could also be added to the help button. Now there is only a help on the encryption check box.

Team ZeeBra

No one told you why the field exists. Years ago, there were these abominations called "Locationless Caches", sometimes called Reverse Caches. Instead of giving coordinates to find an object, you described an object, and people went out and found one, and usually took a picture of the object, with the GPS in the picture (supposedly clear enough to see the coordinates). The coordinate field was added for these locationless caches, because usually the coordinates couldn't be read in the pictures (not that anyone ever checked them). What was the point of showing your GPS in the picture, or even of recording the coordinates? Beats me. I think it was a way to try and justify shoehorning in a obviously non-GPS game into a GPS game site. Anyway, like virtuals, the subjects got progressively more lame, and they didn't really fit the site, so they were eventually done away with. But the coordinate field was found to be useful for other things, such a reporting alternate coordinates, and later for documenting when an owner moves their cache.

HI all

Team ZeeBra

No one told you why the field exists. Years ago, there were these abominations called "Locationless Caches", sometimes called Reverse Caches. Instead of giving coordinates to find an object, you described an object, and people went out and found one, and usually took a picture of the object, with the GPS in the picture (supposedly clear enough to see the coordinates). The coordinate field was added for these locationless caches, because usually the coordinates couldn't be read in the pictures (not that anyone ever checked them). What was the point of showing your GPS in the picture, or even of recording the coordinates? Beats me. I think it was a way to try and justify shoehorning in a obviously non-GPS game into a GPS game site. Anyway, like virtuals, the subjects got progressively more lame, and they didn't really fit the site, so they were eventually done away with. But the coordinate field was found to be useful for other things, such a reporting alternate coordinates, and later for documenting when an owner moves their cache.