Site is slowing down

CAKoala

I guess I've been with you a few months now. I have noticed that the site is getting noticably slower. Map drill in's take forever and moving from a query to a result is taking longer. Would a few people out there like to chime in and support this?

I don't bother with the maps. They are usless compared to what I get from Streets and Trips. I download the cache information (used to do it 25 at a time, now I have my pocket query) and look at my own maps.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Perhaps the 7 million pageviews per month has something to do with it. The ASPmap application was never designed to support so many visits.

Fortunately we'll be adding a better mapping application soon. It'll have its own server to do its thing.

We're currently running into a situation where the popularity of the sport is affecting the quality of speed on the site. We're trying to keep up, believe me.

I agree with mrcpu, however. Nothing beats Streets & Trips, Mappoint, Fugawi, ExpertGPS, or many other applications you can install and run on your own machine.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I noticed that the imbedded MapQuest maps were slow to load last night, however the site in general is working in a terrific fashion compared to some months ago.

Before Jeremy did the upgrades or server moves that he did, trying to do anything on a weekend evening was often hopeless. I'd continually have pages failing to load after making edits on caches I was trying to approve and post. It was so bad that I'd give up the evening work and log on early in the morning instead. I haven't had any such problem lately. This morning the maps are popping up quickly - so maybe they are like the canary in the mine - the first indication that it's time for another upgrade!

~erik~ geocaching.com adminion lackey

I'm not having any problems with the Mapquest maps probably because they open in a new window. I have noticed that the State Cache Maps are not working since yesterday. It will generally open the first map but when you try to zoom in and identify, the pages can't load. I guess for now I will have to find a zipcode locator online and do zipcode searches icon_eek.gif

Hamsters - buy 2 get 10 free!

Draykoh, Yorik, Senyth, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Rubeus, Minerva, Ginny, Jumper, Pounce, Lenny, Squiggy, Micro-Sprite, Midgey and our much loved Boru (RIP)

I'm not having any problems with the Mapquest maps probably because they open in a new window. I have noticed that the State Cache Maps are not working since yesterday. It will generally open the first map but when you try to zoom in and identify, the pages can't load. I guess for now I will have to find a zipcode locator online and do zipcode searches icon_eek.gif

Hamsters - buy 2 get 10 free!

Draykoh, Yorik, Senyth, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Rubeus, Minerva, Ginny, Jumper, Pounce, Lenny, Squiggy, Micro-Sprite, Midgey and our much loved Boru (RIP)

I have written a Perl script that turns geocaching.com .loc files into g7towin-compatible .csv files and also SA-compatible .txt files.

g7towin (which is an excellent freeware program) worked with versions of Street Atlas up to version 9 (I don't know about the Road Warrior version) but doesn't work with SA 2003, which is a big disappointment for me. It will automatically send the waypoints to SA and plot them on a map with the text size, color, and position you choose.

One particularly cool feature of g7towin is that as you open new files, it keeps adding the waypoints to its current list, which means you can put several .loc files into a single g7towin file. Very convenient.

If g7towin doesn't work, then you can directly import the .txt files I generate into SA, and they display nicely. Right now I am importing them as mapnotes, because, as far as I can tell, there is no way to change the text position for a labeled symbol in SA 2003, and I often want to move the text around to make it work better.

The downside is that you have to have Perl loaded onto your computer, and the Perl script also uses an XML parsing package that might not be installed by default by the ActiveState Perl installation program, which means you have to install it yourself. But Perl is also free, and if you want to give it a try, let me know and I'll send it on.

I have noticed an overall slowdown, first the maps, then I started getting timeouts if I tried to load all the logs for a cache, now I am getting a lot of timeouts for just a regular cache page. Funny though, it loads the searches just fine, e.g. a zip code search. Growth is not always good.

FWIW,

CharlieP

I have posted on this problem before! It is well nigh impossible for me to get ANY pages of geocaching.com after about 5pm Central European Time and all through the evening. I just get a time-out page after a few minutes waiting. As this is the time when other European cachers usually log their finds or new caches, this is really annoying. I don't know where the bottl-neck is, but other trans-atlantic connections do not seem to be affected, at least not to the same extent.

This problem has really messed up my enjoyment in following the goings-on in the geocaching world. Is there any hope of improved performance in the near future?