Hello & Introduction

Hello

Just thought I would create an initial post to introduce myself and situation and see where it goes from there.

I currently live in Suffolk soon to relocate to Cumbria in the next couple of months.

I've been a member on the site about 4 years now but only did one find at teh start using a Sat Nav on my PDA which was not ver good.

Due to the relocation we (the family) are looking to go out on regular walks around the lake district. With this I am keen to do it the old fashioned way with maps and a compass. However as I'm sure my wife would say and surely the case with many men we don't like to stick to the normal patchway if we can find a quieter way. So I decided to look for a GOS device just to give me my current location where the battery life was good in case I got lost. A quick buy on eBay got me a Garmin GPS38 which is ideal.

With buying the new GPS device I was keen to see how well it worked and got back to the site. With 2-3 trips out have started to regularly find the caches. Yes the GPS is old (about 15 years) takes its time to lock on but does work well. The caches I have not found were probably more down to lack of experience than the GOS not working, oh and a bit of tree cover bouncing you around.

Oh if you ever do see my posts or meeet me I do tend to waffle on. lol

Langy (Paul)

Hello Paul and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure once you get out on those Cumbrian walks, you'll have a lovely time. If you're in to chatting with others who enjoy caching, you can always check out the nearest mid-week meets (which often happen once a month in each county). If you're not a premium member yet, you can always search for the nearest event by checking out the advanced search options on the "hide and seek a geocache" page.

Don't worry about waffling on. If you can transfer some of that skill in to your "found it" logs, I'm sure you make friends with the local cache owners in no time. I know I certainly appreciate more than a couple of words from anyone finding any of my caches!

I look forward to reading more of your posts!

Hello Paul and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure once you get out on those Cumbrian walks, you'll have a lovely time. If you're in to chatting with others who enjoy caching, you can always check out the nearest mid-week meets (which often happen once a month in each county). If you're not a premium member yet, you can always search for the nearest event by checking out the advanced search options on the "hide and seek a geocache" page.

Don't worry about waffling on. If you can transfer some of that skill in to your "found it" logs, I'm sure you make friends with the local cache owners in no time. I know I certainly appreciate more than a couple of words from anyone finding any of my caches!

I look forward to reading more of your posts!

Hello Mellers

Thank you for a quick reply. I've been considering upgrading to premium the last week or so, especially as I have a bit of money in my PayPal account. However I prefer to wait a little while to make sure that this is not another fab and something that I want to continue with on a regular basis.

I will have a look in a moment regardign the events that you mentioned. I would guess that these are all family based events especially as the hobby is geared that way. After our move it might be a good thing where the family, especially the wife get the chance to get out and make new friends.

Thanks Again

Paul

+1 for going to some events in your new area, if you can make it. I'm sure the regulars there will be chuffed for the opportunity to tell a new kid on the block about their favorite caches, and the ones to avoid. Most events I've been to have been in pubs, but they've all been family friendly and there are often family groups in attendance.