explorist 710 Vs 62stc

Hi guys and gals,

I'm looking for some opinions on a new GPS. The things that are most important to me ->

1. Electronic compass

2. Easy to read screen (eyes are getting old, large screen is a plus)

3. Easy to use in the field (intuitive menus etc)

4. Bug free interactions between the unit and computer (both Mac and PC) I am the opposite of a computer guru and I will not be tinkering with the unit.

5. The turn by turn street navigation is a plus

6. I don't want to buy and install anything the 710 and 62stc has all the maps already installed

7. I'm not sure if I like the touch screen or not. Which is easier to use the buttons on the 62 or the touch screen on the 710?

Right now I'm leaning hard towards the eXplorist 710, the 62 stc is in second place and teh eTrex 30 in third plsce.

THANKS !!!

Ok, I'll give this a shot - especially since I geocache with an eX710 and my caching buddy uses a 62st.

1. Both units have an electronic compass and both work well.

2. I'm getting older as well and both screens are easy for me to see - as long as I have my bifocals on! :huh:

3. Personally I find the eX710 easier to use period. The screens are easy to get in and out of and I find it more intuative than the 62st.

4. As far as the interface between the computer and the unit they're pretty close to the same. You can connect either unit to the computer and use it as a USB drive and if you're using a PC both units are supported by GSAK. Also, both manufacturers also offer their own software of which Vantage Point is the product that comes from Magellan which I find to be easier to use and much more powerful than the Garmin MapSource Software.

5. Yes, the eX710 comes with full turn by turn and will automatically switch to hiking mode when you get to the end of the road and it is time to grab the unit and exercise the shoes.

6. Ok, Garmin's sight states "GPSMAP 62stc lets you conveniently download TOPO U.S. 24K maps and hit the trail"; however, the eX710 comes already loaded with the US Summit Series 24K Topos already loaded on it, as well as the US City Series road maps for the entire US also already loaded as well as a Worldwide base map. The 24K TOPOs for the Garmin only cost $129.99 :(

7. Ok, I'm going to be honest here. I use my GPSrs in my car, 4x4 and on my ATV and the touch screen is great while walking/hiking, in the car and also in the 4x4. However, on the ATV this is a different matter. The touch screen is all but impossible to use when running 30mpg with the bouncing of the ATV and this is the one reason that my buddy uses the 62st.

In my opinion the Magellan eX710 is the better unit and I'm not saying this just because I'm a beta tester for Magellan Outdoors; because I was a Magellan user before becoming a beta tester. But I will honest say that I believe in this unit. Also, I will add that my buddy has returned two of his 62st's to REI for replacement in the time that I've been using the eX710 that I have! :P

Anyway, this is my opinion and experience with the units...

David

Magellan Insider

Ok, I'll give this a shot - especially since I geocache with an eX710 and my caching buddy uses a 62st.

2. I'm getting older as well and both screens are easy for me to see - as long as I have my bifocals on! :huh:

3. Personally I find the eX710 easier to use period. The screens are easy to get in and out of and I find it more intuative than the 62st.

4. As far as the interface between the computer and the unit they're pretty close to the same. You can connect either unit to the computer and use it as a USB drive and if you're using a PC both units are supported by GSAK. Also, both manufacturers also offer their own software of which Vantage Point is the product that comes from Magellan which I find to be easier to use and much more powerful than the Garmin MapSource Software.

5. Yes, the eX710 comes with full turn by turn and will automatically switch to hiking mode when you get to the end of the road and it is time to grab the unit and exercise the shoes.

6. Ok, Garmin's sight states "GPSMAP 62stc lets you conveniently download TOPO U.S. 24K maps and hit the trail"; however, the eX710 comes already loaded with the US Summit Series 24K Topos already loaded on it, as well as the US City Series road maps for the entire US also already loaded as well as a Worldwide base map. The 24K TOPOs for the Garmin only cost $129.99 :(

7. Ok, I'm going to be honest here. I use my GPSrs in my car, 4x4 and on my ATV and the touch screen is great while walking/hiking, in the car and also in the 4x4. However, on the ATV this is a different matter. The touch screen is all but impossible to use when running 30mpg with the bouncing of the ATV and this is the one reason that my buddy uses the 62st.

In my opinion the Magellan eX710 is the better unit and I'm not saying this just because I'm a beta tester for Magellan Outdoors; because I was a Magellan user before becoming a beta tester. But I will honest say that I believe in this unit. Also, I will add that my buddy has returned two of his 62st's to REI for replacement in the time that I've been using the eX710 that I have! :P

David

Magellan Insider

Hello Dave,

I have a couple questions maybe you can help me out? The compass is really jumpy as you are walking - the compass swings from left to right while you walk - again an annoyance more than a problem. Maybe too sensitive.

The other issue we have had is that after you log a cache as found, it asks if you want to proceed to the next cache - sometimes it gets stuck on a cache near one you found the last time you used it that could be a hundred miles from you now. If you just go to nearby caches though they come up properly so it isn't a big problem - just a minor annoyance. Not sure why it does this when the map knows were you are and the cache list knows where you are - why does the next closest not know where you are?

What do you think are there some settings I need to enable or disable?

Thanks for you help,

Jeff of Bare FootOne & Wench

David

Magellan Insider

Hi David and eosxt

I believe David is making a few mistakes. The 62STC comes preloaded with topo for US (or where ever your buying from).

IMHO I'd go for the 62STC

a) As it's a Garmin :anibad:

B) Its a nice colour... jks cause it's camera is amazing

c) Even though you're not a computer guru the 62STC is easy to download to (pretty much it's like a usb drive)

d) If you care about the camera the 62STC is slightly better- here is a video shot with the bad magellan 610