Road Trip!

The Jester

I need just a few more month-finds to complete the Jasmer Challenge (find a cache hidden every month since geocaching started). In particular, two that don't have a qualifing cache in WA (Aug & Dec 2000). There are only 3 caches in the US that were placed during Aug 2000 - Potter's Pond (GC3B) in Utah is the closest (Michigan and Georgia are the other states with them) - we DNF'd PP back in 2005. Vitreous (GC11E) in N. Calif is closest Dec 2000 cache. Chatting at an event someone suggested a road trip to get these. So I'm wondering if anyone is interested in such a trip?

Playing around with Streets & Trips, I've mapped out a seven day trip that would hit caches from May 2000 thru Jan 2001 (there may be other early months, but I haven't tracked all of them, mainly because I don't need them). I used Motel 6 as the night stops, but other options (camping) are available. Here's what it looks like:

PottersPondRoute.jpg

Yeah, there are two nights in the Reno area, as that is where my Mother-in-law lives, and I'd get shot if we didn't let her have time to see Mom. There's some interesting areas around that could be cached that day - Virgina City, Lake Tahoe, or even the San Fran Bay area (longish day).

The Months/caches:

May-2000: GC12

June-2000: GC16

July-2000: GC17

Aug-2000: Potter's Pond

Sept-2000: S. Idaho's First

Oct-2000: Unoriginal Stash

Nov-2000: Wah Wah Stash

Dec-2000: XKD-380 & Vitreous

Jan-2001: Golden Arrow

There's also the Oregon Jasmer Challenge, for those that qualify at the trips end.

So, who's up for a road trip?

I don't know the timing of your trip but keep in mind that Potter's Pond is at 9400 feet. What this means is that your probably not going to be able to get into the campground/parking at 9200 feet until about the end of June. Between the parking and the cache there is a creek. From last years logs this creek runs pretty briskly until the end of July or early August. So the window of opportunity for this cache is from about August to sometime in late September to mid October depending on the snow.

Back in May 2005 (following S&T, which doesn't differentiate between secondary roads and dirt roads...) we ran into snow, which turned us around. So, yeah, I know something of whats there.

Time wouldn't be until at least mid/late July. It would depend on the group, that's why I didn't specify.

The funny thing about your route is some caches need to be later in the summer before they are open and some of the caches are way to HOT later in the year. But all is doable if you are crazy enough. And yes I know you are. I started a blog about geotrips last week so you may want to check it out. The funny thing is my post today was on route planning with S&T. http://mrquads.blogspot.com/ I am down to potters pond and southern Idaho's oldest cache to finish my challenge. I hear the Southern Idaho's first is about a 3 hour hike. Also I have not done a blog in getting hotels yet but think about using Hotels.com because if you stay 10 night you get one free. I have found some cheap hotels there that are close to motel 6 prices with a breakfast. Like $45 in Winslow AZ. I change the place we were spending the night to save use $45 on a hotel room by not staying in Flagstaff. just my 2 cents not worth anything alone but you combined it with other 2 cents and well you still don't have much :)

wow, ambitious trip. We did the 3 Oregons (12, 16, and 17) as well as a January 2001 Oregon cache in a one night stay trip in Oregon...and then did the S. Idaho / Potters Pond in another sandwich between a night stay in Salt Lake. December I did separately with another 1 night stay somewhere. A road trip idea (breaking in your new vehicle eh) sounds fun, I bet someone out there would love to just finish the Jasmer just like that.

some nice easy webcams just around the turn into Southern Idaho's first, if you like that sort of thing. Its a nice hike, many different ways to make it there. Don't recall it taking 3 hours but I can't remember.

Have fun.

Looking at your route, here are our suggestions. We have done some of the caches you don't know about too well.

We would go from Renton to Butte, MT and spend the first night in Idaho Falls. It's about 12 hours from Renton and a very long day, but it sets up the rest of your trip better. IF is a nice town, and you are freeway the entire way. Lots of pretty scenes, and the rest areas along the way have easy caches. There are also some easy Virtuals in IF.

Idaho Falls is an hour north of GC5C, Southern Idaho's First. Leave for that one and try to do the cache in the morning before it gets hot in Pocatello. You'll have a better experience of it. Be prepared for a hike. It did take us 3 hours, but others have made it quicker than we did. Depending on the time of the year, you may be able to drive part way to GZ.

We would spend the second night in Nephi, and depending on the time we got there, think about doing Potter's Pond (GC3B) on the same day. Worst case scenario would allow you to at least drive up and check out the area. Please realize PP has challenges; it's elevation limits access, there is a very cold creek to cross, and it sits at the end of an 11 mile dirt road. However, it does look like it's already been found this year. It's going to be sketchy until later in the year.

If you can pull those in your first two days, then your trip gets easier. If we had to do it all over again, that's probably how we would do it.

One other point along your trip, and I don't know if it interests you, but there is a challenge out there called the Pony Express Trail Challenge. http://coord.info/GC1PRHM

A lot of your route covers the western half of the trail and might prove to have some interesting caches.

Oh, and Vitreous is a challenge. The road was a bear to find, but once found it was easy to get to.

Have fun and post how it goes. We're curious.

One other quick note, for historical purposes, we would also add GC80 to the list. Make sure you check out some cool oldies in Utah since you are there so much.

And since you're local, plan out your day to qualify for http://coord.info/GC2ZM06 when you get back. There's a virtual just across the border in MT on I-90, so you just need two different types of caches in WA (rest stop quickies along the way) and ID (there are lots of options just across the border).

Looking at your route, here are our suggestions. We have done some of the caches you don't know about too well.

We would go from Renton to Butte, MT and spend the first night in Idaho Falls. It's about 12 hours from Renton and a very long day, but it sets up the rest of your trip better. IF is a nice town, and you are freeway the entire way. Lots of pretty scenes, and the rest areas along the way have easy caches. There are also some easy Virtuals in IF.

Renton to Boise to Pacatello is 106 miles shorter, and is all freeway (I90 - I82 - I84). We might take a detour up to Craters of the Moon, which we haven't been to in years.

Idaho Falls is an hour north of GC5C, Southern Idaho's First. Leave for that one and try to do the cache in the morning before it gets hot in Pocatello. You'll have a better experience of it. Be prepared for a hike. It did take us 3 hours, but others have made it quicker than we did. Depending on the time of the year, you may be able to drive part way to GZ.

From the cache description and logs, it sounds like there's a road that goes right past the cache. I can see it on the sat photo's but can't tell if it's gated. When we passed by before we were at a different road and didn't have the time to do a hike. Maybe we'll take the cross bikes and ride the road...

We would spend the second night in Nephi, and depending on the time we got there, think about doing Potter's Pond (GC3B) on the same day. Worst case scenario would allow you to at least drive up and check out the area. Please realize PP has challenges; it's elevation limits access, there is a very cold creek to cross, and it sits at the end of an 11 mile dirt road. However, it does look like it's already been found this year. It's going to be sketchy until later in the year.

We might take camping gear and we could sleep up near Potter's Pond, depending on timing. With our new (to us) Subaru we can deal with the road (the van was dealing with the road last time, it was the snow that turned us back - but then that was in May). Elevation and terrain sounds like no problem - we've done caches at 11,400 (and I'm a climber, so I can deal with most anything - and have).

If you can pull those in your first two days, then your trip gets easier. If we had to do it all over again, that's probably how we would do it.

One other point along your trip, and I don't know if it interests you, but there is a challenge out there called the Pony Express Trail Challenge. http://coord.info/GC1PRHM

A lot of your route covers the western half of the trail and might prove to have some interesting caches.

With where that cache is located, I'm not sure when we'd ever get back there to find it.

Oh, and Vitreous is a challenge. The road was a bear to find, but once found it was easy to get to.

Unless all the maps are very wrong, it doesn't look that hard to find.

Have fun and post how it goes. We're curious.

We'll let everyone know about the trip - it looks like it might not be until after Labor Day.

One other quick note, for historical purposes, we would also add GC80 to the list. Make sure you check out some cool oldies in Utah since you are there so much.

And since you're local, plan out your day to qualify for http://coord.info/GC2ZM06 when you get back. There's a virtual just across the border in MT on I-90, so you just need two different types of caches in WA (rest stop quickies along the way) and ID (there are lots of options just across the border).

Hmm, I almost qualified for that challenge back in June 2005 (CO, AZ, UT) but only two types. I'll have to check my trips up from Reno (mother-in-law), but, if not, I should be able to work something out this trip... Thanks for the tip.

A couple of more things on the route I suggested: If you went through Idaho and MT, you could sign the Idaho Jasmer Challenge on the way (it's in Post Falls, and about a total 15 minute delay from the freeway) and you should make sure you sign the Utah Jasmer when you are passing through on I-15. We have both.

A couple of more things on the route I suggested: If you went through Idaho and MT, you could sign the Idaho Jasmer Challenge on the way (it's in Post Falls, and about a total 15 minute delay from the freeway) and you should make sure you sign the Utah Jasmer when you are passing through on I-15. We have both.

Except, I won't quilify for the Jasmer Challenges until the end of the trip - that's the reason for the trip. And if for some reason we don't get Potter's Pond (the only single cache month on the schedule) finding the Jasmer Challenge Caches won't count. I'll be passing the Oregon Jasmer on the way home, and the WA is not far away from me.

While looking at other caches along the route, I see that XKD-380 is in the middle of the ET Hiway powertrail! In particular, between #1147 and #1148.

Long dusty road, but not a hard find. Might as well knock off some ET Highway caches while your out there. Make sure you leave Crystal Springs or Tonapah with a full tank of gas. If your heading that way from Rachael you should probably stop by and pick up The Original E.T. Highway Cache between #695 and #696.

Edit: Looks like folks are making it up to Potters Ponds. Sounds like there is a fortuitous blow down over the creek now.

Edited by jholly

Long dusty road, but not a hard find. Might as well knock off some ET Highway caches while your out there.

I'm not sure the wife will be up for that, but I might see if we can do a couple...

Make sure you leave Crystal Springs or Tonapah with a full tank of gas. If your heading that way from Rachael you should probably stop by and pick up The Original E.T. Highway Cache between #695 and #696.

We coming from Ely, NV (which I think is the last services) to the east. We're trying to work it out to ride the steam train there before moving on.

Edit: Looks like folks are making it up to Potters Ponds. Sounds like there is a fortuitous blow down over the creek now.

Yep, local folks too - from "The Claw" - were last to find. After wading a river from my van, a creek doesn't sound very intimidating...

Right now, it looks like early Sept for the trip. I've been making lots of changes to the basic trip I showed earlier - such as a stop at Craters of the Moon, a very cool spot. There's a couple of other tourist railways near the route we're looking at and the Golden Spike NM.

Make sure you leave Crystal Springs or Tonapah with a full tank of gas. If your heading that way from Rachael you should probably stop by and pick up The Original E.T. Highway Cache between #695 and #696.

We coming from Ely, NV (which I think is the last services) to the east. We're trying to work it out to ride the steam train there before moving on.

Your probably looking at 250 or so miles from Ely to XKD-380 and then Tonopah, and your probably right that between Ely and Tonopah there is no service. If you think this is a bit squeaky carry some extra gas. There is *no* cell coverage out there and folks driving by are for the most part non-existent. Outside of a couple campers at the beginning of the loop I saw no one or cars the whole day out there.

Your probably looking at 250 or so miles from Ely to XKD-380 and then Tonopah, and your probably right that between Ely and Tonopah there is no service. If you think this is a bit squeaky carry some extra gas. There is *no* cell coverage out there and folks driving by are for the most part non-existent. Outside of a couple campers at the beginning of the loop I saw no one or cars the whole day out there.

MS S&T shows more like 300 with the stops I've planned. That's within the range of the Forester, but I was thinking of carrying extra gas just in case. And water...

We don't frequent the forums too often, so we're late to the party on this thread ;) As some "local folks" who recently found Potters Pond, we'd be happy to answer any questions about our experience there if it would be helpful. Have tracklogs for sharing also, if anybody wants them. Since B is a native of Elko, NV, we've also been lucky enough to cache all across NV and could probably offer ideas regarding NV routing if that's desired. Didn't look too closely at the proposed route, but one cache in particular jumps to mind that would absolutely be worth a short detour: De Sump "mini Grand Canyon". One of our all time favorite wouldn't-have-seen-that-without-geocaching finds :) Let us know if any help/input is wanted!

We don't frequent the forums too often, so we're late to the party on this thread ;) As some "local folks" who recently found Potters Pond, we'd be happy to answer any questions about our experience there if it would be helpful. Have tracklogs for sharing also, if anybody wants them. Since B is a native of Elko, NV, we've also been lucky enough to cache all across NV and could probably offer ideas regarding NV routing if that's desired. Didn't look too closely at the proposed route, but one cache in particular jumps to mind that would absolutely be worth a short detour: De Sump "mini Grand Canyon". One of our all time favorite wouldn't-have-seen-that-without-geocaching finds :) Let us know if any help/input is wanted!

Thanks for the tip about the cache - it looks interesting from the sat views.

Don't take the posted route as gospel. Seeing how there were no takers, we've added a few other places (and a few more days) to visit. We'll be trying for 4 tourist trains (Sumptner Valley RR, OR; Thunder Mtn RR, ID; Heber Valley RR, UT; North Nevada RR, NV), adding a stop at Craters of the Moon and a few other sights not too far off the posted route.

A few more ideas/input to take or leave as you see fit. I'm no good at using the quoting functions for replies, so I'll just use a couple headings instead :P

Potters Pond

Highly recommend staying a night at the campground! We tent-camped at site 6 the night before heading up to PP and really enjoyed it. We were happy to have extra time to find some of the other caches within walking distance of the campground and for some of the cool earthcaches, etc on the route in and out. You probably already know this, but speaking of route in and out it seems like the biggest roadblock that a lot of folks hit is trying to head in via Skyline Drive instead of via the much easier Millers Flat Road. With no snow, you could easily drive any passenger vehicle to the campground via Millers Flat. If you're up for making the cache much more of an adventure (like the most recent finder), Skyline Drive may suit your taste, but otherwise stick to Millers Flat and approach the cache from the campground. Coming from the campground, our round trip PP journey was only about 1-1.5 hours, including plenty of time to read through the logbook and to get a couple more smileys on the way up. All told, our early season find on PP was pretty straightforward, albeit only possible with favorable conditions :D

NV Routing/Stop Ideas

Looks likes your proposed route is going right by Great Basin National Park, which is worth at least a quick stop, IMHO. You could spent days hiking around there, of course, but even a half day checking out Lehman Caves and/or the Wheeler Peak scenic drive would be very worthwhile if you have the time.

Definitely support your intended stop in Ely for the train. Haven't done it for years, but it's fun!

If you're not set on ET Highway and/or don't need XKD-380 (Vitreous instead?), you might consider driving the 50 - aka "The Loneliest Road in America" - west from Ely instead. Much nicer drive, IMHO, with plenty of services in the classic Nevada towns along the way. Both Eureka and Austin have interesting boom/bust town history. Eureka has a pretty decent walking tour set up, including the historic Eureka Opera House.

If you do drive the 6 west instead of the 50, you might also consider fueling up in Tonopah and backtracking east a few miles to drive north to Austin on the 376 through the Big Smokey Valley. Not the quickest way north, but that is one of my absolute favorite stretches of NV road! It's a well-maintained, paved road, but you'll probably only pass a handful of cars in 100 miles of quintessential NV range-and-basin terrain. Ophir Canyon and the cache there are worth a stop if you drive the 376. If you appreciate big, open spaces you'll probably love that route, but if you're not a high desert person you might find it barren. For me, that landscape is home. Ironically, both my previous routing suggestions would cut out the cache I suggested in my previous post. As cool as that cache is, if I was choosing I'd choose the other routes :)

Probably spouted too much already, so I'll leave it at that. Sounds like you're going to have an awesome trip no matter which route you take!

Ben

A few more ideas/input to take or leave as you see fit. I'm no good at using the quoting functions for replies, so I'll just use a couple headings instead :P

Potters Pond

Highly recommend staying a night at the campground! We tent-camped at site 6 the night before heading up to PP and really enjoyed it. We were happy to have extra time to find some of the other caches within walking distance of the campground and for some of the cool earthcaches, etc on the route in and out. You probably already know this, but speaking of route in and out it seems like the biggest roadblock that a lot of folks hit is trying to head in via Skyline Drive instead of via the much easier Millers Flat Road. With no snow, you could easily drive any passenger vehicle to the campground via Millers Flat. If you're up for making the cache much more of an adventure (like the most recent finder), Skyline Drive may suit your taste, but otherwise stick to Millers Flat and approach the cache from the campground. Coming from the campground, our round trip PP journey was only about 1-1.5 hours, including plenty of time to read through the logbook and to get a couple more smileys on the way up. All told, our early season find on PP was pretty straightforward, albeit only possible with favorable conditions :D

We're planning on camping up by Potter's Pond - but haven't seen any details on where the campground is located (we'll probably just wing it). Being we're not going until Sept we thought we'd try the Skyline option, we have a high clearance 4wd, but I know we might have to divert (again) to Hwy 31 and Miller's Flat.

NV Routing/Stop Ideas

Looks likes your proposed route is going right by Great Basin National Park, which is worth at least a quick stop, IMHO. You could spent days hiking around there, of course, but even a half day checking out Lehman Caves and/or the Wheeler Peak scenic drive would be very worthwhile if you have the time.

Definitely support your intended stop in Ely for the train. Haven't done it for years, but it's fun!

If you're not set on ET Highway and/or don't need XKD-380 (Vitreous instead?), you might consider driving the 50 - aka "The Loneliest Road in America" - west from Ely instead. Much nicer drive, IMHO, with plenty of services in the classic Nevada towns along the way. Both Eureka and Austin have interesting boom/bust town history. Eureka has a pretty decent walking tour set up, including the historic Eureka Opera House.

If you do drive the 6 west instead of the 50, you might also consider fueling up in Tonopah and backtracking east a few miles to drive north to Austin on the 376 through the Big Smokey Valley. Not the quickest way north, but that is one of my absolute favorite stretches of NV road! It's a well-maintained, paved road, but you'll probably only pass a handful of cars in 100 miles of quintessential NV range-and-basin terrain. Ophir Canyon and the cache there are worth a stop if you drive the 376. If you appreciate big, open spaces you'll probably love that route, but if you're not a high desert person you might find it barren. For me, that landscape is home. Ironically, both my previous routing suggestions would cut out the cache I suggested in my previous post. As cool as that cache is, if I was choosing I'd choose the other routes :)

Probably spouted too much already, so I'll leave it at that. Sounds like you're going to have an awesome trip no matter which route you take!

Ben

Thanks, we'd already spotted Lehman Caves and added that to our sights to see. I want both XKD-380 (we're planning on Vitreous also, two 'shots' are safety for a DNF) and Golden Arrow so Hwy 6 it is. We won't make Reno (mother-in-law) that night so I'll take a look at Hwy 376, although 95 to 361 looks like another option (gassing at Tonapah looks like the first services after Ely).

I need just a few more month-finds to complete the Jasmer Challenge (find a cache hidden every month since geocaching started).

May-2000: GC12

June-2000: GC16

July-2000: GC17

Aug-2000: Potter's Pond

Sept-2000: S. Idaho's First

Oct-2000: Unoriginal Stash

Nov-2000: Wah Wah Stash

Dec-2000: XKD-380 & Vitreous

Jan-2001: Golden Arrow

There's also the Oregon Jasmer Challenge, for those that qualify at the trips end.

So, who's up for a road trip?

We've just finished with the Jasmer challenge as well.

May-July 2000: Didn't do those... Had others we did already like the current OLDEST Active Cache(GC30)!

Aug 2000: Potters Pond(GC3B) - We stayed a few miles from it at this GREAT campsite just off the main road as your headed South toward the cache. From the car to the cache and back will take you 30-45 Minutes total.

Sept 2000: Southern Idaho's First(GC5C). Even a Crysler 200 will make it to within .3 miles of the cache. Go to the road that's on the South side of the cache. Its a bit steep, but we did it all in 30 minutes. Watch out for Cacti.

Oct-2000: GC8A - We did this one instead of Original stash, but thats for you to decide... IF it were enroute, I'd do the Orig stash, but this was a fun cache to find along the Pony Express Trail while grabbing DeLorme pages and counties throughout Utah. Time for this one was about 20 Minutes, but we grabbed others in the area as well.

Nov-2000: Wah Wah Stash(GCA8) - Did this one as well. Its a quick find if you read the description and realize what your looking at. Total time out of car for this one was about 10 Minutes.

Dec-2000: XKD-380 & Vitreous ~ AND ~ Jan-2001: Golden Arrow

E.T. HIGHWAY!!!!!!!!!! E.T. Highway!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I mention that those are right along a string of 2000 caches set up practically ever .1 of a mile apart. Visit our Long Log for how WE did it. If you've already done over 1,000 in a day, then congrads. IF NOT, HERE is the Perfect opportunity to get THAT stat as well. I've gone over exactly How to do it Here. Of course, you Could skip them all, but I'd dedicate AT LEAST a Day and a HALF to concentrate on the E.T. Highway. Specifically, XKD-380(GCF9) took us 12 Minutes total, and Golden Arrow(GC173) took us a whole 2 Minutes to get. GCF9 is a Regular and GC173 is a LARGE.

Either way, Have a GREAT trip and Enjoy yourselves.

The Steaks

We're planning on camping up by Potter's Pond - but haven't seen any details on where the campground is located (we'll probably just wing it). Being we're not going until Sept we thought we'd try the Skyline option, we have a high clearance 4wd, but I know we might have to divert (again) to Hwy 31 and Miller's Flat.

Camping around Potter Pond:

N39 34.757 W111 14.884 - is Exactly where we set up our tent behind the tall Cedar tree to block us from the wind. Many other campsites within .5 mi of there.

N39 26.947 W111 15.516 - Between here and the Parking coords, there's MANY camping spots. There were even some RVers(NOT TRUE CAMPERS), but I guess to each their own...

N39 27.112 W111 16.420 - Parking for the cache.

As another note, Your in a National Forest. You can camp ANYWHERE you really want to - so long as you can park your vehicle off the road. If you want to camp in a Great area, Park your vehicle, and camp enroute TO the cache near N39 27.091 W111 16.618. Its a wide open field and is rather flat. Had we not gotten tired, this is where we may have stayed...

NV Routing/Stop Ideas

YES!!! This was an unintended Addition to our trip. Had we realized it, we would have done the WiG(GC2ZRZ8), but didn't plan for it properly.

As your head from the ET Highway to Ely, Don't forget to pull off and look at the LAVA FLOWS, and grab the caches near there.

Thanks, we'd already spotted Lehman Caves and added that to our sights to see. I want both XKD-380 (we're planning on Vitreous also, two 'shots' are safety for a DNF) and Golden Arrow so Hwy 6 it is. We won't make Reno (mother-in-law) that night so I'll take a look at Hwy 376, although 95 to 361 looks like another option (gassing at Tonapah looks like the first services after Ely).

Between Ely and Tonopah there is NO GAS! We filled up in Tonopah after staying the night, Then did a few more ETs, GC173, and then up to Ely.

Biggest Pointer that I have: Long Drives SUCK! Break them up with caches at least every hour. To do this, Make Sure to have PQs in your laptop for Every Route that you think you Might take... and then have none run while your on trip so you can drop into a McD and grab 1K if you need.

Have Fun!!

The Steaks

We'll be trying for 4 tourist trains (Sumptner Valley RR, OR; Thunder Mtn RR, ID; Heber Valley RR, UT; North Nevada RR, NV), adding a stop at Craters of the Moon and a few other sights not too far off the posted route.

You MUST be a foamer... LOL! Craters of the Moon was cool as well. Did that area a few weeks ago.

I don't know if its still 'Running', but the Herber Valley RR had the Thomas the Train Engine on their train when we ran thru enroute to Potters.

NO Takers... WOW! I would go with, but as we've finished most of the planned caches lately and just got called back to work yesterday won't go this time around. If you want, Flaming Gorge is kinda close and you could find caches in our area as well.. I'd recommend a few for you if you want.

The Steaks

I don't know the timing of your trip but keep in mind that Potter's Pond is at 9400 feet. What this means is that your probably not going to be able to get into the campground/parking at 9200 feet until about the end of June. Between the parking and the cache there is a creek. From last years logs this creek runs pretty briskly until the end of July or early August. So the window of opportunity for this cache is from about August to sometime in late September to mid October depending on the snow.

Creek was Crossable with a Buick Sebring CAR. when we did it on 5/27. We were even able to park at the closest possible spot. Coords previously listed.

The Steaks

I hear the Southern Idaho's first is about a 3 hour hike.

...using Hotels.com because if you stay 10 night you get one free.

It would be 3 Hours if you parked on Main Street and walked from there. We only spent 30 Minutes out there grabbing it.

some nice easy webcams just around the turn into Southern Idaho's first, if you like that sort of thing.

YES! we grabbed them all this last trip. They were all good except the one at the college. Been down for months, but got the pic at the right angle and distance from previous finders...

Except, I won't quilify for the Jasmer Challenges until the end of the trip - that's the reason for the trip. And if for some reason we don't get Potter's Pond (the only single cache month on the schedule) finding the Jasmer Challenge Caches won't count. I'll be passing the Oregon Jasmer on the way home, and the WA is not far away from me.

Sign and date for the day you Visit the cache, noting that you'll be completing it this trip. If you want to make sure to have logs in correct order online, and submit logs mid trip, do it as a note, then change it to a find once challenge completed. This is SOP for ID/UT Challenge caches...

Looks like folks are making it up to Potters Ponds. Sounds like there is a fortuitous blow down over the creek now.

That's a big word, but yes, the blowdown over the creek is when your walking, and at N39 27.113 W111 16.550. This is the Easiest place to cross the creek. We even took pics on our log.

The Steaks

The campground at Potter's Pond is located where you'd park to start up the hill for the cache. When I parked there last October, it was pretty quiet, even for hunting season.

Camping around Potter Pond:

Thanks for the waypoints, they'll be useful in our planning.

Biggest Pointer that I have: Long Drives SUCK! Break them up with caches at least every hour.

I've done this many times on trips (out to Mingo, driving across Canada (NS to BC), and others). It's a bit better break than just a reststop where we don't move as much.

You MUST be a foamer... LOL!

Well, I won't go that far - we don't quite drool but we do enjoy trains, especially steam trains. If you get the chance, ride the Cumbres & Toltec RR (NM) - an all day trip on a steam train with a wonderful lunch stop at Osier Station (which has two caches at it! Sublette Station has one, but you can't get off the train there.)

Have Fun!!

We plan to!!!

Well, tomorrow is the big day! We're getting the last few things packed and ready to go. I've been trying to time my finds so Potter's Pond is #4500 (I just couldn't get enough finds this summer - crash and burn on the mtn bike slowed me down - to make it #5000). I have 50 to go, and know there's 40+ we're hitting on the route (a few extra for those unexpected urge's to write in log books...).

We're only doing a half day to reach Pendleton for the night. Then two train rides on Friday - Sumpter Valley in the morning, and Thunder Mountain for dinner.

Finally have some time and internet access. Busy week. I planned Potter's Pond as my 4500 find and left with 4450 found. With several DNF's on planned caches we were able to get enough to log PP as #4500 last night. Woo Hoo!

We've ridden 3 train, with a fourth tomorrow morning.

We "tested" the new Forrester with several challenges. We drove out the Black Canyon south of Boise on miles of gravel road with several steep sections near big drop offs (the car did fine, my nerves on the other hand...) Trying for Single Grave, we couldn't find a way in (nothing matched the sat photo's I studied) and decided *not* to go cross country thru the prairie. We picked the wrong approach to Crater Rings, and found some of the nastiest, rockiest, rutted roads in the area - and made it thru! We tried to go up Big Southern Butte in E. Idaho, but the road was too steep and loose for us to get up (one limit found). We took the 'standard' way in to Potter's Pond (Miller's Flat road) but took Skyline Drive south to Spring City - a route we'd backed off from in May 2005, due to snow - some wild and hairy sections (and a couple of caches, of course) but we made it (I don't think the van would have if it was dry back then). Our last test was going for Wa Wa Stash today. We tried the loop road passing the cache from east to west - bad choice! The road starts off fine, then it was flooded earlier this year and half washed out so was somewhat of a challenge, but we made it thru with some effort. Then it really got bad. It got narrow, steep, and rocky - and those were the good points. We made thru a couple of section so slowly I was amazed the car kept moving at all with the RPMs in the 400-600 range (I didn't think it could run that slow). What we didn't realize was we had to cross a small moutain range on this road - great views but my nerves needed to sit on non-moving earth for a while at the cache. The route on the west side as a piece of cake.

So far the weather has been sunny and (a bit) hot. Both have sun burned a little in various places. We can't seem to drink enough water to keep up, but we keep going.

I've managed to map 10-12 miles of trails for NW Trails - some at Malad Gorge and a bunch at Craters of the Moon.

Now we have to cross the dry, empty high desert of Nevada while getting a couple of more oldies (Golden Arrow & XKD-380) - we may be getting rain tonight, or the clouds may disappear by morning...

More later.

We arrived at PP just at sunset, so we didn't spend a whole lot of time. No bugs and we didn't quite need flashlights to get out (although we did use them to try for one cache on the way out). We'd forgotten all our reservation info, so we wandered around looking for the site we'd reservered. We finally found it (#9) and decided to skip the tent and sleep under the stars, which were beautiful! We'd been running in high 80's so far, so the 38 temp the next morning was a bit chilly (but we were prepared with jackets).

Today we found Golden Arrow and XKD-380 today after riding the Northern NV Rail Road. We toured the yard, which put us an hour behind our "schedule", so we didn't get as we thought. We're in a motel in Tonapah instead of camping somewhere beyond there. We drove out of from XKD-380 in the dark, got about sixteen miles outside of town and found a bicyclist heading for town. He'd run out of gas a few miles back (we'd seen the car), so we squeeze him and his bike in the car and got to town.

Woo Whee! What a trip! It was 13 and a half days, 3,032.7 miles (averaged 27.4 MPG), 7 states (WA, OR, ID, UT, NV, CA and confusion), 110 caches found, 11 DNF's, 6 'oldie' caches (from frist year), 1 FTF, 2 STF and more dust than the car could hold. The only "bad" thing about it, I kept forgetting to drop the TB's I took with! I have one I carried the whole way. <_<

It's good to be back home, but I'm already looking forward to another trip... :blink::lol: