Account problems: All logs from this year are gone!

JusticeMercy

Sometime yesterday, about 10 of my logged caches lost the "logs". They no longer show up in my "caches you have found list" and the log entries are gone from the page. In addition, the watch list seems to have random caches added to it. Has anyone else experience this problem?

I'm not sure what to do. Any advice?

No problems here.

I compared your finds listed on geocaching.com with your finds listed on Dan's Stats Page. It does look like you lost some logs. I originally thought maybe it was a problem with the hider deleting your logs, or deleting all his caches instead of archiving them, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. You have lost logs from several different hiders, some who I personally know and would not delete a log without an email explaining why. With the watch list problems too, it really sounds like someone (kids, perhaps?) had some "fun" with your account. If you can figure out all the logs you lost, it MIGHT be possible for Jeremy to recover them, I seem to remember that being done for someone else. Try emailing "contact at geocaching dot com" and explain all the details.

BTW. Good place to mention that many of us keep some sort of backup just in case. I use a text document with all the log info. My GF keeps a scrapbook with the cache page, our logs, and any pics we took. Some others here keep things in a spreadsheet. Comes in handy at times like this. Good luck!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

... it really sounds like someone (kids, perhaps?) had some "fun" with your account.

No one has my password, and I've only used it on two computers that no one has access to. Interestingly enough, I noticed it midday yesterday.

quote:

BTW. Good place to mention that many of us keep some sort of backup just in case. I use a text document with all the log info. My GF keeps a scrapbook with the cache page, our logs, and any pics we took. Some others here keep things in a spreadsheet. Comes in handy at times like this.

I thought of that later. Hindsight is 20/20. I'll start from here on out. Is there an easy way, or do I have to do it manually?

Thanks.

Do what Mopar said and and contact Geocaching.com. They've been known to recover logs for people.

Another way to back up your finds is to add the cache to your watch list before you log it. Then you get an e-mail copy of your log that you can keep. Maybe even create a folder specifically for these e-mails.

quote:
Originally posted by PointingTheWay:

No one has my password, and I've only used it on two computers that no one has access to. Interestingly enough, I noticed it midday yesterday.

Well, if you had "remember me" checked, they wouldn't need your password, but if your sure nobody else has access to your machines then thats not it I guess. Something like that happened about a month ago, except that time, the person's friend/coworker/whatever logged finds on hundreds of random caches all over the world, as a "joke".

Since the forums here are hosted totally seperate from the main website, I don't see how the forum upgrade problems could effect this (if thats what you were getting at).

quote:

I thought of that later. Hindsight is 20/20. I'll start from here on out. Is there an easy way, or do I have to do it manually?

Thanks.

Depends on how you do it. Mickey225 waits until our logs are both posted, then she cuts and pastes then from the website. In a binder with clear sleeves she puts the original cache page on the left, and the page on the right has our logs and any photos we took, as well as maybe something we got at the time, like a trail map or even a lunch receipt. This actually makes it slightly easier when we try to explain geocaching to someone else. We can show them the book and our photos of our adventures.

What *I* do, is I type up my logs in a text editor first. I have a little template I follow that looks like this:

Cache Name           GCxxxx          00/00/03    Find #1xx 00:00pm   x/x today log text here

Each time I log a new cache, I add it to the bottom of the list. I actually have this text doc with all my logs saved in several different places, just in case.

I then just cut and paste the text from there into the website when I'm done. This gives me the chance to spellcheck it and look it over before posting it.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.