Media and device compatibility question

twin_57103

Hi all,

I am a first-time cartridge builder. I have the cartridge roughly written and I'm working on fine-tuning. Pardon if I'm asking questions for which there are already answers; I did try to find them.

I am using the groudspeak builder but have access to Earwigo and Urwigo as well.

I have found several references to media options, but I'm still a little confused. I have downsized all my graphics to 230 pixels as seems recommended, but then I play this on our Android tablet (or even my cell phone) and it looks horrible. I believe I can have multiple options by using *_garmin.jpg and *_ppc.jpg? I believe I am using the ppc option for smart phones/tablets - what resolution can/should I use? Is there any benefit to adding icons? I doubt there are any pocket PC's left in actual use, but will this be of benefit for smart phones?

Second - I have found a couple mentions of Garmin incompatibilities. I know to keep message boxes <850 characters, allowing several characters for any carriage returns. I don't have any onClick events; all my scripts are zones or inputs. I have chained message boxes with button scripts in order to keep events in order, sometimes a lot of them (up to a dozen; my cartridge is plot-heavy). Nevertheless, I don't have access to any of these devices for testing, so I'm guessing.

Third - do I need to know anything special about piGo (the iOs app)? I have an Android phone (Motorolla Droid 2) and Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus) and WhereYouGo (Android app) is my only access to cartridges. I may be able to con a friend into field testing an iPhone but I'd like to avoid any pitfalls first.

Thanks for your time!

Third - do I need to know anything special about piGo (the iOs app)? I have an Android phone (Motorolla Droid 2) and Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus) and WhereYouGo (Android app) is my only access to cartridges. I may be able to con a friend into field testing an iPhone but I'd like to avoid any pitfalls first.

The iOS app is now just called Wherigo. I've found one issue with it See thread

But it was an unusual scenario. Generally it works pretty well.

In this thread you have the dimensions for each option/requirement:

MEDIA SIZES:

(height focused)

[Width is always 230 pixels]

GARMIN:

Zones : (all 1 size) NAME: zone(zone name)_garmin.jpg

W/ Text : 180 (preferable, meaning we mostly use this size, regardless of text)

or W/out Text : 230

Object details : 250 NAME: (media object)_garmin.jpg

Messageboxes : 230 NAME: (media object)msg_garmin.jpg

Tasks : 230 NAME: task(task name)_garmin.jpg

PPC:

Zones : (all 1 size) NAME: zone(zone name)_ppc.jpg

W/ Text : 130

or W/out Text : 174 (pref)

Object details : 174 NAME: (media object) _ppc.jpg

Messageboxes : 130 NAME: (media object)msg_ppc.jpg

Tasks : 130 NAME: task(task name)_ppc.jpg

Icons : 32x32 NAME: icon(media object).jpg

Posters for Web : 120x150

Cartridge Detail Image : 230x130 (this is the image used on the detail screen in when you click on a cartridge from your list)

SAVING DETAILS:

Save for Web

High, Optimized JPG

70 quality

Edited by MightyReek

Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to clarify: can I use higher-resolution images for tablets and smart phones? Edmondo appears to have found an answer in the Earwigo tutorial, but I seem to have missed it there. I'd like to maximize the ability of smart phones, which is how so many more of us are able to play Wherigo than even a couple years ago.